RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

NandaDevi15

Jan 10, 2011, 11:44 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2788 views)
Shortcut

Double Rope vs a Single Rope on ice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I've been top roping ice for a few seasons now and am ready to venture into leading on ice. I've already put an ice rack together and the only question that I still have is weather it is better to use a double rope system or a single rope system for ice. I've used double rope a lot for wandering trad routes and understand the value of the system, I was just wondering if there are any specific advantages to using a one or the other on ice.

kennoyce

Jan 10, 2011, 11:49 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NandaDevi15] Double Rope vs a Single Rope on ice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

NandaDevi15 wrote:
So I've been top roping ice for a few seasons now and am ready to venture into leading on ice. I've already put an ice rack together and the only question that I still have is weather it is better to use a double rope system or a single rope system for ice. I've used double rope a lot for wandering trad routes and understand the value of the system, I was just wondering if there are any specific advantages to using a one or the other on ice.

Sharp things and ropes don't mix well, double ropes provide a more redundant system in case your sharp things try to mix with the rope.

sungam

Jan 11, 2011, 3:28 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Doubles are usually thinner and, er, stretchy-er then singles. Longer fall but smaller peak force on your stubby you tucked between those couliflowers.

scotty1974

Jan 11, 2011, 6:21 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use both...

I'll use the doubles on longer lines, multipitch or when I have long rappels.

But if it's a short flow, 30-50 feet that I'm going to TR I'll use a thicker single line like a 10.2.

jeepnphreak

Jan 13, 2011, 4:12 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are topping roping than a single is great the rop is above you and it easy to avoid it with the sharp objects.

But for lead I like doubles or twins. Reason is the rope dangles down below you and its harder to see.
On pitch three of a favorite climb my crampon's front point came in contact with my rope...dead center, at the time I was just using a single rope and sliced the sheath to the core, oops (lucky there was a walk off). With doubles you can do that and still have a good rope left after that learning experience.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook