Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

enigma

Jan 19, 2011, 1:46 AM
Post #26 of 63 (10664 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
kiwiprincess wrote:
Lynn Hill- She is smaller than me, so I think Lynn would find a way so will I when I can't do the sequence my taller friends do

Mayan Smith Gobat- http://mayanclimbs.com/
She is Determined, focussed,hard working and a Nice understated awesome Lady.

I have to read about this Mayan Smith Gobat. What do you think sets her apart from the other climbers?
...you mean besides being the best female climber in NZ?

Can't you let kiwiprincess answer?
um, you sound like a kindergarten teacher... Unsure
Must of us are adults here, and I am sure kiwiprincess will not consider my (deliberately generic and obvious) answer as having stolen her own personal opportunity to answer your question herself.

edit: 'cause I can't spell

Well good response.
Any female climber that you look up to in Germany ??

Kartessa

Jan 19, 2011, 1:52 AM
Post #27 of 63 (10658 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you trying to say that as a Canadian I'm not allowed to look up to a climber from another country?

Kinda like racist idolotry

enigma

Jan 19, 2011, 2:14 AM
Post #28 of 63 (10648 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Are you trying to say that as a Canadian I'm not allowed to look up to a climber from another country?

Kinda like racist idolotry

Of course not silly, I just thought he might have a German favorite women climber. Tongue

enigma

Jan 19, 2011, 2:20 AM
Post #29 of 63 (10646 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
Yesterday I was headed out to see what I could do on the Gunsmoke Traverse and on the way in was following a woman with a crashpad. We began talking as we headed over and when we arrived, there was another woman on the traverse, trying for the tough reachy section wheres some people use a toe-hook. Nobody else was there.

It was pretty cool to happen-chance upon "Girls at Gunsmoke." And we had fun. I looked up to both those women, who were quite supportive of me even as I struggled on the moves they didn't think twice about.

But I guess they probably aren't famous....

In that case I guess I would say Lynn Hill, since she spent some time at the Gunks(my home crag), but the truth is that I don't really differentiate in day to day life.

Reading Arlene Blum's biography ("Breaking Trail") was pretty interesting. She was hardcore, and worked hard for what she gained. Her accomplishments were routinely dismissed and she was downright poorly treated by the climbing community, yet she persevered.

That Gunsmoke traverse is tough, About 2 years ago I was there with some friends climbing, and there was this guy that spent every day climbing it, back and forth up to 4 hours a day.
He was excellent at it. I think it just takes alot of time to get those moves down. Keep trying!!

clee03m

Jan 19, 2011, 4:35 AM
Post #30 of 63 (10634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
phyllis munday

badass mountaineer from canada early 20th century. pioneered many routes with her husband. had to climb in a dress, until she was out of sight and could ditch the protocol of the day. also raised two kids in the wild and still put up new routes. worked with girl guides, getting out girls and young women into the mountains.

That is pretty amazing.

For me, Lynn Hill--a bit older, wiser, awesome...she broke so many barriers. I finally stopped feeling crazy for not wanting to mountaineer after reading her book--thanks, Lynn!

Steph Davis--my generation, and I admire her for always pushing the boundaries.

And now that I've had a baby, Jacinda Hunter. 4 kids, V11 and 5.14!

kiwiprincess

Jan 19, 2011, 8:23 AM
Post #31 of 63 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I admire her hard work. She used to bake in the morning at a cafe and climb all day . She lived in her car for ages... all to climb.

She is super focussed and determined and fully deserves the acheivments she is attaining

She is modest. If you ask her about how her climbing was she will tell you about overcoming a crux, and how rewarding it was to solve it ...not spray about the difficulty.

I know her a little, and If I ask her for some advice on a sequence or something she will stop and help even though I know she is pretty focussed on what she wants to do.

Not a bad role model for younger climbers

sbaclimber

Jan 19, 2011, 9:43 AM
Post #32 of 63 (10618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
kiwiprincess wrote:
Lynn Hill- She is smaller than me, so I think Lynn would find a way so will I when I can't do the sequence my taller friends do

I have to read about this Mayan Smith Gobat. What do you think sets her apart from the other climbers?

Must of us are adults here, and I am sure kiwiprincess will not consider my (deliberately generic and obvious) answer as having stolen her own personal opportunity to answer your question herself.

Well good response.
None who are famous....no.

enigma

Jan 19, 2011, 9:55 AM
Post #33 of 63 (10613 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
macherry wrote:
phyllis munday

badass mountaineer from canada early 20th century. pioneered many routes with her husband. had to climb in a dress, until she was out of sight and could ditch the protocol of the day. also raised two kids in the wild and still put up new routes. worked with girl guides, getting out girls and young women into the mountains.

That is pretty amazing.

For me, Lynn Hill--a bit older, wiser, awesome...she broke so many barriers. I finally stopped feeling crazy for not wanting to mountaineer after reading her book--thanks, Lynn!

That's quite a great accomplishment.5.14, V11, 4 kids Wow. How did you do it?
Congrats on your little Jacinda Hunter--
Great Name -- There's a Hunter in my family as well.

enigma

Jan 19, 2011, 10:08 AM
Post #34 of 63 (10609 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kiwiprincess] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kiwiprincess wrote:
I admire her hard work. She used to bake in the morning at a cafe and climb all day . She lived in her car for ages... all to climb.

She is super focussed and determined and fully deserves the acheivments she is attaining

She is modest. If you ask her about how her climbing was she will tell you about overcoming a crux, and how rewarding it was to solve it ...not spray about the difficulty.

I know her a little, and If I ask her for some advice on a sequence or something she will stop and help even though I know she is pretty focussed on what she wants to do.

Not a bad role model for younger climbers

You know its interesting but I've also met some famous climbers and alot of them are so down to earth.
Living in her car, baking, and then climbing hard. Incredible.
But I've never met any female climbers who are famous . You're right shes a great role model.
I've never been to New Zealand but have heard the people are wonderful.
What's the best area for climbing in New Zealand? Just in case I can make it there .
Good Day kiwi. Enjoy hearing about your adventures on the other side of the world. Smile

enigma

Jan 19, 2011, 10:23 AM
Post #35 of 63 (10604 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
kiwiprincess wrote:

Well good response.
Well It sounds like Phyllis Munday is great enough for your famous female climber too.
Hmmn maybe theres a young German female climber in crags, quietly putting up first ascents and climbing hard quietly. Not everyone that's great wants to be noticed.
So what's your favorite area to climb in Germany?

(I have a good friend who just got a flim into the Berlin Flim Festival. So maybe she'll invite me)

sbaclimber

Jan 19, 2011, 11:48 AM
Post #36 of 63 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
So what's your favorite area to climb in Germany?
(I have a good friend who just got a flim into the Berlin Flim Festival. So maybe she'll invite me)
I wouldn't say I only have one favourite area. Depending on what type of climbing I am in the mood for, I have the choice between the Frankenjura or the Sächsische Schweiz (mostly known outside of Germana as part of the Elbsandsteingebirge). Both are world-class and great areas to climb at.
For proper multi-pitch, I have to head further south to the alps.

I obviously cannot answer for kiwiprincess, but I would like to offer my opinion in answer to your question to her as well.
(side note, in case you think I am german and only know about german climbing....I am actually from the 'Dacks in NY, where I also learned and spent 6 years climbing. Also lived and climbed extensively for 4 years in NZ, and obviously in and around germany as well)
...in NZ, same as here, I wouldn't say I have one favourite crag, but....
For bouldering, Castle Hill is absolutely awesome! If you get a chance to go to NZ, you must visit The Hill!
For sport, Paynes Ford / Golden Bay. It is not just the climbing, but also the area, weather, and general atmosphere.
For trad, depending on what type of trad you are looking for, the Darrans, Lake Taupo region and Charleston are all awesome destinations.
Charleston is smaller than the others, but the climbing is great and the fact they are sea cliffs makes for a really cool feeling.

lena_chita

Jan 19, 2011, 2:58 PM
Post #37 of 63 (10569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
clee03m wrote:
macherry wrote:
phyllis munday

That is pretty amazing.

Great Name -- There's a Hunter in my family as well

Seriously?

Until this post, I was reasonably sure that English was your first language, but this was a major comprehension fail.

clee03 was answering your question and saying that she admires Jacinda Hunter. She is not herself called Jacinda Hunter, her child is not called Jacinda Hunter, and she is decribing Jacinda's accomplishments, not her own.

I have to agree with clee03, Jacinda Hunter is someone to admire. And yes, Lynn Hill would be on my list, too.

sbaclimber

Jan 19, 2011, 4:16 PM
Post #38 of 63 (10562 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
enigma wrote:
clee03m wrote:
macherry wrote:
phyllis munday

That is pretty amazing.

Seriously?

Until this post, I was reasonably sure that English was your first language, but this was a major comprehension fail.
hehe, check out 2 posts above yours too...
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
kiwiprincess wrote:

Well good response.
Well It sounds like Phyllis Munday is great enough for your famous female climber too.
I was confused, but chose to ignore it, because I am used to being confused (have read too many of Majid's posts.....Tongue).

olderic

Jan 19, 2011, 4:33 PM
Post #39 of 63 (10557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
enigma wrote:

Seriously?

Actually if you look at the original punctuation enigma nailed the interpretation. Of course that would imply that she is clueless as to lots of chatter in the mainstream climbing media. Based on the majority of her responses that seems to be the case - or at least the image she is trying to project.

sbaclimber

Jan 19, 2011, 4:48 PM
Post #40 of 63 (10553 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
enigma wrote:

Seriously?

Actually if you look at the original punctuation enigma nailed the interpretation. Of course that would imply that she is clueless as to lots of chatter in the mainstream climbing media. Based on the majority of her responses that seems to be the case - or at least the image she is trying to project.
Dude, you just seriously cheesetitted that! Wink

edit: and no....according to the original punctuation, lena called the fail correctly.

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Jan 19, 2011, 4:50 PM)

erisspirit

Jan 19, 2011, 5:11 PM
Post #41 of 63 (10541 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
enigma wrote:
clee03m wrote:
macherry wrote:
phyllis munday

That is pretty amazing.

Seriously?

clee03 was answering your question and saying that she admires Jacinda Hunter. She is not herself called Jacinda Hunter, her child is not called Jacinda Hunter, and she is decribing Jacinda's accomplishments, not her own.

I have to agree with clee03, Jacinda Hunter is someone to admire. And yes, Lynn Hill would be on my list, too.

yeah I couldn't decide if it was a language thing, or just too eager to post to read through it correctly...

either way... I must say I love this pic of Jacinda Hunter. The little boys are hilarious, and she looks so calm and happy through the hyper little kid chaos Tongue

from http://www.prana.com/.../tag/jacinda-hunter/

olderic

Jan 19, 2011, 5:15 PM
Post #42 of 63 (10538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK I'm guilty of trying to play this game on a tiny device. But Clee's original sentence was:

"And now that I've had a baby, Jacinda Hunter. 4 kids, V11 and 5.14!"
There is a period after Hunter. That signifies the end of the sentence.

Of course this is the Internet and things can be edited after the fact.

sbaclimber

Jan 19, 2011, 7:28 PM
Post #43 of 63 (10522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
OK I'm guilty of trying to play this game on a tiny device. But Clee's original sentence was:

I read it as, "And now that I've had a baby, [the famous female climber I look up to is] Jacinda Hunter. [she has] 4 kids, [climbs] V11 and 5.14!"

clee03m, correct me if I am wrong Smile

olderic

Jan 19, 2011, 7:38 PM
Post #44 of 63 (10516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
olderic wrote:

I read it as, "And now that I've had a baby, [the famous female climber I look up to is] Jacinda Hunter. [she has] 4 kids, [climbs] V11 and 5.14!"

Obviously that's what she meant - we all know that - well except for one certain party. Anyone would know that who is it all aware of current popular climbing news. My point is that with the punctuation the way it was that someone who was totally clueless - or pretending to be - would read it differently.

sbaclimber

Jan 19, 2011, 7:43 PM
Post #45 of 63 (10513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
olderic wrote:

Obviously that's what she meant - we all know that - well except for one certain party. Anyone would know that who is it all aware of current popular climbing news. My point is that with the punctuation the way it was that someone who was totally clueless - or pretending to be - would read it differently.
Ahhhh, sorry, bit slow today.
Now I get what you were getting at Blush
Need more beer....

Partner camhead

Jan 19, 2011, 7:56 PM
Post #46 of 63 (10507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
kiwiprincess wrote:

Well good response.

Inez Palpert. Duh.

sbaclimber

Jan 19, 2011, 8:06 PM
Post #47 of 63 (10495 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
kiwiprincess wrote:

Well good response.

Ines Palpert. Duh.
^^ 's' Wink

Fair suggestion.

lhwang

Jan 19, 2011, 8:11 PM
Post #48 of 63 (10490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
Ines Palpert. Duh.
^^ 's' Wink

Fair suggestion.

Ines Papert. WinkWink Eventually we'll get her name right... and I agree.

(This post was edited by lhwang on Jan 19, 2011, 8:12 PM)

sbaclimber

Jan 19, 2011, 8:12 PM
Post #49 of 63 (10488 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lhwang wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
Ines Palpert. Duh.
^^ 's' Wink

Fair suggestion.

Ines Papert. WinkWink Eventually we'll get her name right... and I agree.
d'ohBlush

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Jan 19, 2011, 8:14 PM)

enigma

Jan 20, 2011, 12:00 AM
Post #50 of 63 (10451 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erisspirit] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

erisspirit wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
enigma wrote:
clee03m wrote:
macherry wrote:
phyllis munday

That is pretty amazing.

Seriously?

yeah I couldn't decide if it was a language thing, or just too eager to post to read through it correctly...

either way... I must say I love this pic of Jacinda Hunter. The little boys are hilarious, and she looks so calm and happy through the hyper little kid chaos Tongue

[image]http://www.prana.com/media/ambassadorImages/Jacinda_Hunter.jpg[/image]

from http://www.prana.com/.../tag/jacinda-hunter/

Okay, I was tired and rushed.
Great photo. Thanks. Angelic

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook