RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

vood00

Dec 26, 2002, 4:21 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2389 views)
Shortcut

Advice on New Zealand and Australia
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, this spring I will be leaving upper michigan and heading to Australia and New Zealand for two months before heading to thailand. I have already found lots of info on climbing, but now I'm looking for some info on good hikes, canyoneering (really interested in this one), mountaineering, etc... Anything that you think someone visiting the area needs to do or see. I won't have a lot of money to spend so I'm looking for cheap adventures or people willing to let me tag along. I will be prepared for anything from day trips to the crags or weeklong treks. Any advice would be appreciated. I would just like to make the most of this trip and my money.

carlb

Jan 2, 2003, 2:29 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2389 views)
Shortcut

Advice on New Zealand and Australia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, as a patriotic ex-pat I highly recommend the NZ outdoors. In NZ hiking is called tramping (apparently the Australians call it "bushwalking", even if it's not in the bush).

Two places,

1. is my most recent tramp, the Tongariro Crossing, near Taupo in the central north island. The one-day version of the tramp covers grassland, mountainous terrain with a moon-like crater, volcanic features including a warm river, and good ol' kiwi bush. There's also good climbing in the Mangatepopo valley (couldn't resist recommending) and indoors at national park backpackers, should it rain (which it may).

2. Is the well-known Abel Tasman national park, site of many a family camping trip (I grew up in Nelson). Easy tramping by the sea, good golden beaches. In the same general region as the must-visit Payne's Ford climbing area (& swimming hole). Actually at Payne's Ford a good cheap adventure may be had by jumping from the cliffs above the river (I'm assuming you've got a good head for heights...)

Hope you enjoy your trip & feel free to drop me a line if you pass through Melbourne (though sadly I'm not currently well-equipped to be the organiser for an outdoors trip).

cheers,
Carl

carlb

Jan 2, 2003, 2:30 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, as a patriotic ex-pat I highly recommend the NZ outdoors. In NZ hiking is called tramping (apparently the Australians call it "bushwalking", even if it's not in the bush).

Two places,

1. is my most recent tramp, the Tongariro Crossing, near Taupo in the central north island. The one-day version of the tramp covers grassland, mountainous terrain with a moon-like crater, volcanic features including a warm river, and good ol' kiwi bush. There's also good climbing in the Mangatepopo valley (couldn't resist recommending) and indoors at national park backpackers, should it rain (which it may).

2. Is the well-known Abel Tasman national park, site of many a family camping trip (I grew up in Nelson). Easy tramping by the sea, good golden beaches. In the same general region as the must-visit Payne's Ford climbing area (& swimming hole). Actually at Payne's Ford a good cheap adventure may be had by jumping from the cliffs above the river (I'm assuming you've got a good head for heights...)

Hope you enjoy your trip & feel free to drop me a line if you pass through Melbourne (though sadly I'm not currently well-equipped to be the organiser for an outdoors trip).

cheers,
Carl

socialclimber

Jan 4, 2003, 12:38 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hi vood00,
Try this URL, it will give you more tramping than you can shake a stick at. When you get to Christchurch let me know. my email is in my profile. Any other questions you have, yell out.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/Explore/002~Tracks-and-Walks/Great-Walks/Heaphy-Track.asp

moey

Jan 4, 2003, 3:28 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have the time, don't just do the Tongariro crossing, but do the entire Tongariro Circuit. It's 3 days of a completely different landscape every day-- very cool and well worth it! It's not a busy track so no worries on crowded huts!
I spent 6 months in NZ hiking and camping and sailing on the extreme cheap so feel free to PM me for any advice.
In Oz I would reccomend heading to Tassie-- in a year of living there it remained my favourite part of the country for playing outside. Awesome hiking, climbing for the insane (totem pole) or the more sane (organ pipes) and a ton of empty space....
There 's also really good climbing in the Grampians, and I'm sure if you spend some time chatting up the folks here from Melbourne you'll find yourself a partner or two.
Good luck and have a tim tam for me!

clipordie

Jan 9, 2003, 6:01 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best place for canyoning in Australia would be the Blue Mountains just outside of Sydney. Theres hundreds of deep dark slot canyons riddling this sandstone park, and some spectacular, more open canyons a little further south in Kanangra-Boyd National Park.

Have a look at
http://www.npws.nsw.gov.au/parks/metro/bluemt/bmtodoadventure.html
or
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~dnoble/canyoning.html

Feel free to contact me if you're passing thru.

Partner philbox

Jan 9, 2003, 6:14 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mate Queensland also has a lot to offer with some great surfing beaches for free. Take a walk in some of the most spectacular rainforests, go fishing. Come climbing with me at Australias premier crack climbing destination.

Feel free to PM me for more info.

...Phil...

roshi

Jan 9, 2003, 6:55 AM
Post #8 of 9 (2389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Around what month are you coming??
There is some awesome hiking/climbing/anything outdoor in my state - Victoria.
I have just quit my weekend job to spend a lot more time outdoors. PM when you know when you are coming.
P.S. Tim Tams do rock....

haydn

Jan 10, 2003, 5:17 AM
Post #9 of 9 (2389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was looking through the book store the other day and Lonely plant has a tramping guide for New Zealand and from my expierinces Lonely planet has lots of informaiton and is up to date.
Hope this Helps, Haydn

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook