RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

RebeccaD

Jan 23, 2011, 12:41 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3534 views)
Shortcut

Savannah GA
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am going to be moving to Savannah on Feb 1 and am looking for places to climb/climbing partners. I have experience with sport climbing, used to be able to lead 5.10's, however I have not done much climbing since I got back from Afghanistan a few months ago, so I'm not sure where I'm at! I also have experience following trad, and would like to get into leading trad.

WoogieMonster

Jan 25, 2011, 5:10 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3507 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RebeccaD] Savannah GA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

good luck finding any rock around Savanahh. It seems to be all sand for about 140 miles inland.
been looking for some stuff around the coast more north into the Carolinas with no luck. Your going to have to travel to Macon to touch some boulders and if you want something taller. Your going to have to get to Alabama Tennessee or North GA, NC. to get on something worth doing.
The trip will be about 2 hours to Macon and 4 to Atlanta. 6 to Chatty or North Alabama.Yonah in 5 plus some change.
Its there but so damn far away it seems. If I was you I would be looking into taking weekend road trips.
Are you relocating to the base here?

RebeccaD

Jan 26, 2011, 2:37 AM
Post #3 of 7 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [WoogieMonster] Savannah GA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, from everything I have read, I am going to hate Georgia! I suppose I will be taking weekend trips, as my job permits! I am being relocated to Hunter Army Airfield, I am coming from Ft. Lewis Washington and grew up in Maine so the south is kind of a shock for me! I suppose you are from the area?

WoogieMonster

Jan 26, 2011, 8:14 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No Maam
I am from Atlanta but I am in the area visiting my mother on the family farm.
I am heading back in a few days, but never stop looking for any rock in the area. There is none. I just keep telling myself there has to be something but I always go home empty.
Now in Atlanta it is a little easier to get to the crags in day trips. A couple hours to a crag is easier to chew and there is new development in the Atlanta area, but directions are not posted yet.

ZachM

Mar 3, 2011, 11:50 AM
Post #5 of 7 (3379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah theres really no rock south of atlanta unless you wanna get over to alabama- which has some great climbing suprisingly. Hunter and ft. stewart both have small indoor climbing gyms so you can at least keep your strength up. I've also heard that there's some pretty good gyms not too far away down in Florida. North Ga has a lot of good climbing and I've spent a lot of time at Mount Yonah and i really like it a lot. If you're into bouldering then Rock Town outside of Atlanta has endless bouldering problems with pretty diverse levels of difficulty.

(This post was edited by ZachM on Mar 3, 2011, 11:56 AM)

carolineclimbs

Jun 23, 2011, 2:48 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am also moving to Savannah and looking for stuff to climb and people to climb with. I'm from Tennessee and am super depressed about the lack of rock I'm finding down there. Are there any gear stores that sell stuff or any indoor places?

brian_h

Jun 24, 2011, 9:13 PM
Post #7 of 7 (3017 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carolineclimbs] Savannah GA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is my second time being stationed in Charleston since 2002 and I can tell you that the piedmont region is mostly devoid of anything worthwhile. There are sparse hints of boulderfields 90 miles inland, but not worth taking a trip for. The Blue Ridge really hits all of a sudden and that's obviously where all the fun begins.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$174.56 (10% off)
$15.62 (10% off)
$62.06 (10% off)
$7.65 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook