Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

enigma

Jan 20, 2011, 12:07 AM
Post #51 of 63 (4309 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
So what's your favorite area to climb in Germany?
(I have a good friend who just got a flim into the Berlin Flim Festival. So maybe she'll invite me)
I wouldn't say I only have one favourite area. Depending on what type of climbing I am in the mood for, I have the choice between the Frankenjura or the Sächsische Schweiz (mostly known outside of Germana as part of the Elbsandsteingebirge). Both are world-class and great areas to climb at.
For proper multi-pitch, I have to head further south to the alps.

I obviously cannot answer for kiwiprincess, but I would like to offer my opinion in answer to your question to her as well.
(side note, in case you think I am german and only know about german climbing....I am actually from the 'Dacks in NY, where I also learned and spent 6 years climbing. Also lived and climbed extensively for 4 years in NZ, and obviously in and around germany as well)
...in NZ, same as here, I wouldn't say I have one favourite crag, but....
For bouldering, Castle Hill is absolutely awesome! If you get a chance to go to NZ, you must visit The Hill!
For sport, Paynes Ford / Golden Bay. It is not just the climbing, but also the area, weather, and general atmosphere.
For trad, depending on what type of trad you are looking for, the Darrans, Lake Taupo region and Charleston are all awesome destinations.
Charleston is smaller than the others, but the climbing is great and the fact they are sea cliffs makes for a really cool feeling.

You have climbed in a lot of great areas. I enjoy climbing on sea cliffs. It super cool. Cool

Thanks for all the climbing areas. I appreciate it and hopefully some of the rockclimbers will as well.

jbro_135

Jan 20, 2011, 4:10 AM
Post #52 of 63 (4293 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thomasina Pidgeon - has a kid and climbs harder than this Jacinda Hunter character, also once she climbed with me and gave me some free shoes Cool

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 20, 2011, 9:21 PM
Post #53 of 63 (4273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
That Gunsmoke traverse is tough, About 2 years ago I was there with some friends climbing, and there was this guy that spent every day climbing it, back and forth up to 4 hours a day.
He was excellent at it. I think it just takes alot of time to get those moves down. Keep trying!!

I haven't been at Gunsmoke this trip but the once, but was wishing to get to watch that guy. Saw him one time a few years ago, and he really is incredible. It was like watching him perform ballet. He doesn't do the moves the way most others do.

And perhaps that is because he has spent so much time on that comparatively small bit of rock that he has broken through the barriers of movement in a way similar to an artist who masters the fundamentals then goes on to create their own language in art.

I have heard he may be austistic, and that he pretty much goes to Gunsmoke, and only Gunsmoke, regularly, but haven't heard any mention of him in the last few years.

He may not be a woman, but he's certainly someone whose climbing is admirable.

Partner camhead

Jan 21, 2011, 12:23 PM
Post #54 of 63 (4253 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbro_135] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jbro_135 wrote:
Thomasina Pidgeon - has a kid and climbs harder than this Jacinda Hunter character, also once she climbed with me and gave me some free shoes Cool

Why must you compare her to Hunter? Not cool to turn this into a contest.

Oh, and I heard that Didier Berthos was the one who knocked Pidgeon up, right before he failzed on Cobra Crack and joined a monastery. DRAMZ!

carabiner96

Jan 24, 2011, 3:18 PM
Post #55 of 63 (4225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MISTY MURPHY!!

Partner macherry

Jan 24, 2011, 4:55 PM
Post #56 of 63 (4214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
MISTY MURPHY!!

oh dear lord

awesome

enigma

Jan 24, 2011, 10:54 PM
Post #57 of 63 (4187 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
enigma wrote:
That Gunsmoke traverse is tough, About 2 years ago I was there with some friends climbing, and there was this guy that spent every day climbing it, back and forth up to 4 hours a day.
He was excellent at it. I think it just takes alot of time to get those moves down. Keep trying!!

I haven't been at Gunsmoke this trip but the once, but was wishing to get to watch that guy. Saw him one time a few years ago, and he really is incredible. It was like watching him perform ballet. He doesn't do the moves the way most others do.

And perhaps that is because he has spent so much time on that comparatively small bit of rock that he has broken through the barriers of movement in a way similar to an artist who masters the fundamentals then goes on to create their own language in art.

I have heard he may be austistic, and that he pretty much goes to Gunsmoke, and only Gunsmoke, regularly, but haven't heard any mention of him in the last few years.

He may not be a woman, but he's certainly someone whose climbing is admirable.

He was quite adept at gunsmoke.

Partner cracklover

Jan 27, 2011, 10:55 PM
Post #58 of 63 (4119 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
olderic wrote:
OK I'm guilty of trying to play this game on a tiny device. But Clee's original sentence was:

"And now that I've had a baby, Jacinda Hunter. 4 kids, V11 and 5.14!"
There is a period after Hunter. That signifies the end of the sentence.

Of course this is the Internet and things can be edited after the fact.
I read it as, "And now that I've had a baby, [the famous female climber I look up to is] Jacinda Hunter. [she has] 4 kids, [climbs] V11 and 5.14!"

clee03m, correct me if I am wrong Smile

Obviously that's what she meant - we all know that - well except for one certain party. Anyone would know that who is it all aware of current popular climbing news. My point is that with the punctuation the way it was that someone who was totally clueless - or pretending to be - would read it differently.

I've never heard of the woman (Jacinda Hunter) but the post was immediately and entirely clear. And I'd agree that she (JC) sounds admirable, indeed.

GO

Partner cracklover

Jan 27, 2011, 11:00 PM
Post #59 of 63 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd have to say Lynn Hill, simply because of a very nice interaction my wife and I had with her at a crag one day.

GO

clee03m

Jan 31, 2011, 7:24 PM
Post #60 of 63 (4033 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by clee03m [In reply to]
Report this Post

Partner cracklover

Jan 31, 2011, 9:55 PM
Post #61 of 63 (4020 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure why you're replying to me. I have to assume it's just because mine was the last post, right? You don't seem to be responding to anything I said. Or if you are and I'm missing it, could you clarify?

GO

clee03m

Feb 1, 2011, 5:04 PM
Post #62 of 63 (3990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
olderic wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
olderic wrote:
OK I'm guilty of trying to play this game on a tiny device. But Clee's original sentence was:

"And now that I've had a baby, Jacinda Hunter. 4 kids, V11 and 5.14!"
There is a period after Hunter. That signifies the end of the sentence.

Of course this is the Internet and things can be edited after the fact.
I read it as, "And now that I've had a baby, [the famous female climber I look up to is] Jacinda Hunter. [she has] 4 kids, [climbs] V11 and 5.14!"

clee03m, correct me if I am wrong Smile

Obviously that's what she meant - we all know that - well except for one certain party. Anyone would know that who is it all aware of current popular climbing news. My point is that with the punctuation the way it was that someone who was totally clueless - or pretending to be - would read it differently.

I've never heard of the woman (Jacinda Hunter) but the post was immediately and entirely clear. And I'd agree that she (JC) sounds admirable, indeed.

GO

Haha, I wish I climbed that hard. Wouldn't it have been pretty egotistical to name myself as the famolus female climber I look upto? If you assume I wouldn't name myself, I think it's pretty clear what I meant even with my not so perfect grammer. Yeah, I think JH is pretty awesome. Here I am barely making it to the gym, and she is climbing V11... She give me hope.

Happy, pappy?

clee03m

Feb 1, 2011, 5:05 PM
Post #63 of 63 (3987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
I'm not sure why you're replying to me. I have to assume it's just because mine was the last post, right? You don't seem to be responding to anything I said. Or if you are and I'm missing it, could you clarify?

GO

Sorry, happy pappy was referring to this post. Just to clarify...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook