Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Big Wall and Aid Climbing:
In the market for a haul bag - suggestions?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

TarHeelEMT

Jan 27, 2011, 9:33 PM
Post #1 of 13 (4266 views)
Shortcut

In the market for a haul bag - suggestions?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm in the market for a large haul bag. I have the Metolius Quarter Dome, but I'd like some input as to what the best ones on the market are right now.

I've used two - The big FISH bag and the Metolius El Cap. I liked both of them, but I'm leaning toward the Metolius because of the waterproof closure. I have no experience with the Black Diamond bags. How do they compare? Are there any others I should consider (besides Yates, which costs too much)?

I did a search, but not much came up from the past 5 years.

dugl33

Jan 27, 2011, 9:53 PM
Post #2 of 13 (4258 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] In the market for a haul bag - suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
I'm in the market for a large haul bag. I have the Metolius Quarter Dome, but I'd like some input as to what the best ones on the market are right now.

I've used two - The big FISH bag and the Metolius El Cap. I liked both of them, but I'm leaning toward the Metolius because of the waterproof closure. I have no experience with the Black Diamond bags. How do they compare? Are there any others I should consider (besides Yates, which costs too much)?

I did a search, but not much came up from the past 5 years.

I like my metolius (half dome) better than my friends Black Diamond. Somehow it manages to be burlier and lighter at the same time, and the vinyl seems less prone to sag on a hot day. I also like the roll down top.

In my opinion high quality for the price.

Also, side note... do you really need something as big as the El Cap. You could haul a half dome and quarter dome together and manage most anything.

TarHeelEMT

Jan 27, 2011, 10:05 PM
Post #3 of 13 (4236 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] In the market for a haul bag - suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good question. I just kind of defaulted to the biggest. At this point I'm not the fastest, and this summer I hope for a return attack on Zodiac (bailed last summer), as well as one or two other routes on El Cap. Based on the pace that my partner and I usually climb, I'd expect four days of climbing to do those 16 pitches, and I'd like maybe an extra half day or so of water just in case there's a storm or something unexpected.

I probably could get by with the smaller option.

climbingaggie03

Jan 27, 2011, 11:38 PM
Post #4 of 13 (4200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a suggestion, but especially since you have some time, you might watch ebay. I got a yates fat sack for less than a hundred bucks, it had been up a wall or two and had no holes or thin spots. I've used it for a few years and it's still in great shape. Just an idea...

majid_sabet

Jan 28, 2011, 12:58 AM
Post #5 of 13 (4178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy

please come to bigwall customer service

coastal_climber

Jan 28, 2011, 1:35 AM
Post #6 of 13 (4167 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] In the market for a haul bag - suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

get the el cap. that shits' beefy!

USnavy

Jan 28, 2011, 6:18 AM
Post #7 of 13 (4135 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] In the market for a haul bag - suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
USnavy

please come to bigwall customer service
What do you need me for? Having climbed precisely zero big walls, your experience should be more than adequate by RC.com standards to comment on this question.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Jan 28, 2011, 6:19 AM)

areyoumydude

Jan 28, 2011, 8:29 PM
Post #8 of 13 (4039 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] In the market for a haul bag - suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
get the el cap. that shits' beefy!

It's a little big for me. I have a hard time reaching stuff at the bottom of the bag.

It's only been up one wall and in great shape if the OP wants to by it.

olympicmtnboy

Jan 28, 2011, 10:45 PM
Post #9 of 13 (4020 views)
Shortcut

Re: [areyoumydude] In the market for a haul bag - suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like my El Cap (older version before the waterproof closure), but it is a tad long and hard to get at the bottom of when it's hanging. I try to clip my water jugs and anything down there to a daisy so I can haul it out by that.

FISH is a good choice if you're on a budget, I've used those too and they work great. BD's have seemed a tad less burly but I haven't used one for a long time. Yates kick ass if you can sell a kidney for one (or get lucky on ebay).

It can be easier to have two medium bags, one for each person in many cases, but I still manage to fill up my El Cap somehow, but I think that's just a rule of packing (whatever you bring will take all the available space plus some).

evanwish

Jan 29, 2011, 11:44 PM
Post #10 of 13 (3973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got the Fish bag and it has worked great for me! Then again, it's the only bag I've ever used so I've got quite a bias.

I lined mine with a few layers of white duct tape, then after dragging that thing all over the place there's not a scratch on the actual bag. Very happy about that.

Partner pbcowboy77

Feb 3, 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #11 of 13 (3825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I own a lot of bags. The Metolius is bomb proof, but so is the Fish. You won't get the backing from Metolius as you would with Fish. Plus you support a local made in the USA company if you go with Fish. Yates is pricey, but also all US made and it will last you a life time. Both Russ from Fish and John from Yates are great people that I will always give them my support over big companies like Metolius and Black Diamond.

I wouldn't get a BD if you plan to do more than a wall or 2 in your life. I've watched friends BD bags fall apart while on walls and grow more and more duct tape pitch by pitch.

Also, I second watching EBay. All my Metolius bags came from EBay and got killer deals on them. Notice you never see Fish bags on Ebay. That's cause people never want to get rid of them...

About getting the El Cap, you don't want anything that the top of the bag is higher than your waist. You don't want to have to climb into the bag...

I hope this helped

Zac

TarHeelEMT

Feb 4, 2011, 3:33 AM
Post #12 of 13 (3790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I ended up going with the Half Dome. Metolius earned some customer loyalty with me on a cam repair, and I really like the weatherproof closure. My ledge is a Fish, and I have two Yates harnesses, so I still feel good about supporting the little guy. Metolius just had what I was looking for.

rock_fencer

Feb 4, 2011, 4:50 AM
Post #13 of 13 (3781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

let me know if you want to do aid sometime around western NC and put that bag to use for no other reason than to haul it.

T

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook