RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Euro Freaks

Premier Sponsor:

jumpingrock

Jan 29, 2011, 6:59 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1413 views)
Shortcut

Moving to London, UK
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all,

I am moving to London in about 2 months, we'll tentatively say for work but I don't have a visa quite yet so who knows. I know full well that London is not the best city (or even top ten) in the UK for climbing, but the work options are much better there for my line of work - and I want to live in London.

My question is, given that London is the destination, where in London is the best place to live. The following criteria are rather important to me: 1) travel to the 'downtown' core for work 2) travelling to a good climbing gym 3) getting outta town on weekends to climb around the UK.

Thanks alot!

Cheers,

David

rtwilli4

Feb 17, 2011, 12:43 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1330 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jumpingrock] Moving to London, UK [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just moved here and don't have much to offer but I'll tell you what I know.

There are three climbing gyms, and if you are working or living anywhere near central London you are going to be closest to Westway. It is a big sports complex with a rather impressive climbing gym. Not much character, but lots of tall leading walls, tr walls and descent bouldering. Great setters.

The Castle is farther north (about 45 min on the tube from Central London). It's probably a better place to meet outdoor climbers and it has more of a climbing gym feel but it is too far away from where I live to bike to every day and I can't afford to ride the tube, especially for hours at a time. It's also a touch more expensive.

Mile End is east of central London. It's the smallest and cheapest of the gyms but it is still pretty good.

I live in Fulham, which I think is a great location. 3 miles from Westway, 2 miles from Hyde Park, 10 min walk to Fulham Broadway bars, cafes, and about the same distance from two football stadiums.

As far as outdoor, it doesn't really matter where you live in London. There is "Southern Sandstone" which is SW of London but even if you book the train in advance your still spending £40 to get down there and it's all TRing of short walls. I suppose if you live down there it's worth it but there are much better areas that you can do in a day.

I haven't gotten outside much, basically because I've been getting settled. It seems like there are a lot of people that take weekend trips and day trips, but you need a car.

You can do some of the Grit near Sheffield on public transport but I haven't tried it yet.

Another option is to save money and vacation in Europe where the weather is more consistent. That's probably the route I'm going to end up taking unless I find someone who is keen to have me tag along in their vehicle.

I'll be here until the end of July minus a few weeks in June. Shoot me an email and I'll show you around when you get here.

Ryan.Tyler.Williams@gmail.com

Forums : International : Euro Freaks

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook