RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

enigma

Jan 30, 2011, 11:25 PM
Post #1 of 14 (6937 views)
Shortcut

The Benefits of Cross-Training for Climbers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

When I'm not climbing outdoors or indoors,
I run, bicycle, use the rowing machine as well as do pushups, situps,pullups and various overall cross-training.
Its helps with endurance and strength. What types of cross-training do you do? Do you feel it benefits your climbing ?

jbro_135

Jan 31, 2011, 4:21 AM
Post #2 of 14 (6849 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] The Benefits of Cross-Training for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The best training for climbing is sport-specific. Trolling RC.com all day probably doesn't qualify, maybe you should hit the hangboard

enigma

Jan 31, 2011, 8:15 AM
Post #3 of 14 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbro_135] The Benefits of Cross-Training for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jbro_135 wrote:
The best training for climbing is sport-specific. Trolling RC.com all day probably doesn't qualify, maybe you should hit the hangboard

Of course climbing is the best for training to get better at climbing. With that being said. Cross-training including running up hills, bicycle riding as well as pushups and pullups strengthens muscles use in climbing. Yoga helps with flexibility, and there are many other athletic that have a positive impact.

If for whatever reason someone is not able to climb indoors or outdoors , Instead of just sitting in front of a a computer or doing something active has a more positive impact.
I climb outside as much as possible and indoors when its night or raining. When I can"t do either I believe there are are other endurance and strengthening activities that help. Most climbers I know cross-train by running, cycling and strength training on off days .

ceebo

Jan 31, 2011, 1:50 PM
Post #4 of 14 (6780 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

But you can do most of what you suggest after every session to maximise training. And then do deadhangs on days you cant make it to gym, with 1 or 2 days rest if you think you need it.

A day of rest imo is a day of rest, not a day of pushups and bike riding.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Jan 31, 2011, 1:52 PM)

Lbrombach

Jan 31, 2011, 2:20 PM
Post #5 of 14 (6766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just like any other sport that I can think of, some muscles get used more than others while climbing. Cross training the antagonists and other less-used muscles helps to reduce the likelyhood of injury and just makes your body more-useful overall.

I run, elliptical, weight train, snowboard - anything active almost every day..even group fitness classes at my gym. Those are useful because I can't get lazy and neglect certain body parts... and because they're full of girls.

Cross training definitely benefits my climbing...some more than others. Core workouts helps my balance and stability on the wall, resistance training for my legs helps me pull off balancy, high-step, one-legged squats on the wall. Running, ellipticalling, and really everything etc helps me haul a pack a long or difficult approach without being drained when I get to the crag.

Don't forget the psychological benefits either - All of the above keep me looking good, which makes it easier to get girls to climb with me, which makes me want to climb more and harder so I don't look like a wuss.

enigma

Feb 1, 2011, 7:14 AM
Post #6 of 14 (6684 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lbrombach] The Benefits of Cross-Training for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lbrombach wrote:
Just like any other sport that I can think of, some muscles get used more than others while climbing. Cross training the antagonists and other less-used muscles helps to reduce the likelyhood of injury and just makes your body more-useful overall.

I run, elliptical, weight train, snowboard - anything active almost every day..even group fitness classes at my gym. Those are useful because I can't get lazy and neglect certain body parts... and because they're full of girls.

Cross training definitely benefits my climbing...some more than others. Core workouts helps my balance and stability on the wall, resistance training for my legs helps me pull off balancy, high-step, one-legged squats on the wall. Running, ellipticalling, and really everything etc helps me haul a pack a long or difficult approach without being drained when I get to the crag.

Don't forget the psychological benefits either - All of the above keep me looking good, which makes it easier to get girls to climb with me, which makes me want to climb more and harder so I don't look like a wuss.

Its so true, I've met these climbers that after climbing outside for a day say they don't have enough endurance.
Of course its best to climb outside, but its not always possible, indoors is next best, but cross training can help alot as well.

enigma

May 8, 2011, 3:36 PM
Post #7 of 14 (6204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lbrombach] The Benefits of Cross-Training for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lbrombach wrote:

Does anyone think that Cross-Fit Gym helps their climbing? Seems like climbers are now going for training there

hafilax

May 8, 2011, 8:48 PM
Post #8 of 14 (6149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
Lbrombach wrote:

Does anyone think that Cross-Fit Gym helps their climbing? Seems like climbers are now going for training there
I'll tell you in a few months. I've been doing crossfit for a year and haven't climbed all winter.

rhythm164

May 8, 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #9 of 14 (6133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aside from climbing specific training (targeting specific muscle groups with specific exercises, campus work, core work, and the like), I found that hitting the road bike made a huge difference. Jumped 2 grades in a pretty short time. Food for thought.

As far as crossfit goes, I have a buddy that runs a gym and he got me to train with him a little bit. Aside from wanting to barf, I felt like it actually had a negative effect on my climbing because I was beat from the crossfit workouts and couldn't rally enough stamina/endurance to work projects. I could see it being effective if you were taking a break from climbing and could focus on crossfit. you would likely come back stronger.

(This post was edited by rhythm164 on May 8, 2011, 10:14 PM)

puravida9539

May 9, 2011, 12:27 AM
Post #10 of 14 (6099 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhythm164] The Benefits of Cross-Training for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Probably also depends on where your weaknesses are. If your weakness is technique, then cross training may not benefit a huge amount. However, if you are getting gassed and tired halfway up a wall then some cardio may really help you.

That being said, and as previously stated, cross training can help you prepare other muscles that will help prevent injury.

spikeddem

May 9, 2011, 1:01 AM
Post #11 of 14 (6086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhythm164] The Benefits of Cross-Training for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rhythm164 wrote:
aside from climbing specific training (targeting specific muscle groups with specific exercises, campus work, core work, and the like)

Just to clarify, this is not climbing-specific training.

Zman36

May 10, 2011, 5:04 AM
Post #12 of 14 (5981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I believe cross training helps a lot. I'm in the military and do a lot of cardio with running and combatives, which really works my core. I have seen a definite improvement in the deficulties of routes i've been able to handle after really buckling down on my "non-climbing" specific workouts. Pretty much just Hitting the gym with muscle confusion routines. makes me feel overall more fit and able to tackle the routes.

jt512

May 10, 2011, 5:33 AM
Post #13 of 14 (5966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Zman36] The Benefits of Cross-Training for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Zman36 wrote:
Yeah I believe cross training helps a lot. I'm in the military and do a lot of cardio with running and combatives, which really works my core. I have seen a definite improvement in the deficulties of routes i've been able to handle after really buckling down on my "non-climbing" specific workouts. Pretty much just Hitting the gym with muscle confusion routines. makes me feel overall more fit and able to tackle the routes.

So you're up to what now, 5.7?

Jay

guangzhou

May 10, 2011, 6:53 AM
Post #14 of 14 (5948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Zman36] The Benefits of Cross-Training for Climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Zman36 wrote:

Thanks for serving.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook