Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Rmsyll2

Jan 29, 2011, 4:09 PM
Post #1 of 39 (3837 views)
Shortcut

a real climber?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Someone who posts here at the rate, it says, of 1.6/day, has recently ridiculed me for climbing only 5.9. Actually, that is from a single occasion that really should be maybe, oh, let's say 5.86 or so, since it was only as second. To continue to be truthful, however, the belayer is a master climber in our area, and he did assure me, he being a supportive person, that I was climbing on that occasion at 5.9 level. I have no expectation of doing so again, so treasure that one incident as not an accident, even if unique.

Raising in my mind, more than once noted here as insane, a general question to this lovely and helpful community about what it takes to be considered by this lovely and helpful community "a real climber". Is it only difficulty level, or also time in the effort, and if so, how does that scale? Does a decade at 5.7 qualify? Does it have to include trad? Is it adjusted for number of attempts per year? Would how long, or number of climbs, it took to lead a 5.10 be a factor? What about indoors or outdoors? Type of rock? Does top-rope ever count? Perhaps the assessor's self-assessment is part of the judgment?

LL

billl7

Jan 29, 2011, 4:23 PM
Post #2 of 39 (3823 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rmsyll2] a real climber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:
Someone who posts here at the rate, it says, of 1.6/day, has recently ridiculed me for climbing only 5.9. Actually, that is from a single occasion that really should be maybe, oh, let's say 5.86 or so, since it was only as second. To continue to be truthful, however, the belayer is a master climber in our area, and he did assure me, he being a supportive person, that I was climbing on that occasion at 5.9 level. I have no expectation of doing so again, so treasure that one incident as not an accident, even if unique.

Raising in my mind, more than once noted here as insane, a general question to this lovely and helpful community about what it takes to be considered by this lovely and helpful community "a real climber". Is it only difficulty level, or also time in the effort, and if so, how does that scale? Does a decade at 5.7 qualify? Does it have to include trad? Is it adjusted for number of attempts per year? Would how long, or number of climbs, it took to lead a 5.10 be a factor? What about indoors or outdoors? Type of rock? Does top-rope ever count? Perhaps the assessor's self-assessment is part of the judgment?

LL
In other words, is there a category of "renaissance man" in climbing. Maybe - with very few of us in it. Why strive for that?

Lazlo

Jan 29, 2011, 4:24 PM
Post #3 of 39 (3820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:
Raising in my mind, more than once noted here as insane, a general question to this lovely and helpful community about what it takes to be considered by this lovely and helpful community "a real climber".

Agreed.

j_amie_

Jan 29, 2011, 4:25 PM
Post #4 of 39 (3817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:

LL

Here is your problem.

Kartessa

Jan 29, 2011, 4:31 PM
Post #5 of 39 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, we now know you're not a writer.

A climber is someone who calls themselves a climber. Unless they're a poser.

macblaze

Jan 29, 2011, 4:40 PM
Post #6 of 39 (3793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are, as my mother used to say, cruisin' for a bruisin' with questions like this Wink

From my mostly lurker viewpoint I offer the following conclusions on RC.com 'real' climbing:

1. You must have climbed on real rock. 100% plastic won't cut it.

2. For beginners, toprope is acceptable, but to graduate, if you aren't on lead, you aren't experiencing the full truth that is rock climbing.

3. While you don't have to aspire to trad yourself, you must respect the ethics/mindset expressed by trying to leave the bolts behind.

4. You should push your limits. Real rock climbers enjoy climbing the same climb 15 zillion times, but don't actually consider it climbing.

5. Have fun. If you aren't having fun, then you are just some kind of obsessive, over-achieving wienie.

This is the truth*, so sayeth the forums!

(*With some exceptions, arguments, vocabulary and spelling issues. Some members will argue points based on individual biases and lack of ability to comprehend language. Not all 'Real'TM rock climbers are officially endorsed or sponsored by this post. Some individuals my deviate for my or other reality.)

LostinMaine

Jan 29, 2011, 4:43 PM
Post #7 of 39 (3786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:
Raising in my mind, more than once noted here as insane, a general question to this lovely and helpful community about what it takes to be considered by this lovely and helpful community "a real climber".

A climber is someone who makes it up a climb safely, and returns to do it again another day. That said, one should be honest about accomplishments. People tend to embellish quite a bit - just ask anyone who met a number of partners online.

Undoubtedly, you show up to the cliff only to find your new partner really won't "follow anything you can lead up", has amazingly just come back from an injury and is only comfortable leading 5.5 when they claim .11b onsight level, or hasn't climbed in a while, so their "lead head" isn't working properly and is only comfortable leading 5.5...

...at least these are the excuses I use.

sbaclimber

Jan 29, 2011, 4:55 PM
Post #8 of 39 (3773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:
what it takes to be considered by this lovely and helpful community "a real climber"
Simple....don't be a boulderer.

spikeddem

Jan 29, 2011, 5:04 PM
Post #9 of 39 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] a real climber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd say climbing harder than 5.9 is the only requirement.

Sorry dude.

curt

Jan 29, 2011, 5:12 PM
Post #10 of 39 (3757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:
Raising in my mind, more than once noted here as insane, a general question to this lovely and helpful community about what it takes to be considered by this lovely and helpful community "a real climber"...

Obviously, you have to have a lot more posts to be considered a real climber. Cool

Curt

sbaclimber

Jan 29, 2011, 5:23 PM
Post #11 of 39 (3749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] a real climber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:

Sorry dude.
Cool, that means I have been a real climber at least once in my life. Cool
(of course, it also means I currently have no shot whatsoever at being a real climber Frown )

chrisnovak

Jan 29, 2011, 5:26 PM
Post #12 of 39 (3741 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LostinMaine] a real climber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I keep it simple: all people can be divided into people who climb and climbers. People who have never climbed are one or the other, but have not yet been sorted.

For me, climbers are not defined by type of climbing they do, how hard, how frequently, how many years, how many posts they have, etc. It is purely attitude. You don't have to explain Why - they get it. I believe that there are climbers who have never had the chance to climb - but if you tell them about it, they get it. You can see it in the eyes of a climber when they talk about climbing...

Similarly, there are climbers who no longer climb (due to injury, life circumstances, etc.). They get it. And I hope to see them out again soon...

People who climb are everyone else. This includes people who have never climbed and never want to, those who have tried it (scout trip, birthday party, etc.) but don't get Why, those who do it for someone else (e.g., significant other of a climber who just goes along), those who want others to think of them as adventurous and climb to 'prove' it, etc.

I admit that I am unsure about some people who may never climb, but have the attitude - be they skiiers, golfers, chess players...Perhaps it's more about having a 'passion' than the actual activity...Well, I'm sure you can make it more complicated, but this suits my purposes. :)

Of course, I don't judge people's worth based on the above - it's just an interesting way to look at people. And it doesn't mean that climbers should only climb with climbers - given personality differences, some climbers may not make good partners - in some cases, a given person who climbs might make a better partner for a climber. Simple, eh?

Finally, unfortunately, it's easier to judge others than oneself: I find it most difficult to figure out where I fit in. Well, I won't spend much time thinking about it - I'd rather just go climbing.

PS - don't ask me to define the Why part...if you have to ask, well, that might tell you something. :)

jumpingrock

Jan 29, 2011, 6:55 PM
Post #13 of 39 (3696 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chrisnovak] a real climber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

I once gave a shit. Now I don't. If you enjoy climbing you are a climber. If you don't, stop climbing.

spikeddem

Jan 29, 2011, 8:07 PM
Post #14 of 39 (3656 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chrisnovak] a real climber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

chrisnovak wrote:
I keep it simple: all people can be divided into people who climb and climbers. People who have never climbed are one or the other, but have not yet been sorted.

For me, climbers are not defined by type of climbing they do, how hard, how frequently, how many years, how many posts they have, etc. It is purely attitude. You don't have to explain Why - they get it. I believe that there are climbers who have never had the chance to climb - but if you tell them about it, they get it. You can see it in the eyes of a climber when they talk about climbing...

Similarly, there are climbers who no longer climb (due to injury, life circumstances, etc.). They get it. And I hope to see them out again soon...

People who climb are everyone else. This includes people who have never climbed and never want to, those who have tried it (scout trip, birthday party, etc.) but don't get Why, those who do it for someone else (e.g., significant other of a climber who just goes along), those who want others to think of them as adventurous and climb to 'prove' it, etc.

I admit that I am unsure about some people who may never climb, but have the attitude - be they skiiers, golfers, chess players...Perhaps it's more about having a 'passion' than the actual activity...Well, I'm sure you can make it more complicated, but this suits my purposes. :)

Of course, I don't judge people's worth based on the above - it's just an interesting way to look at people. And it doesn't mean that climbers should only climb with climbers - given personality differences, some climbers may not make good partners - in some cases, a given person who climbs might make a better partner for a climber. Simple, eh?

Finally, unfortunately, it's easier to judge others than oneself: I find it most difficult to figure out where I fit in. Well, I won't spend much time thinking about it - I'd rather just go climbing.

PS - don't ask me to define the Why part...if you have to ask, well, that might tell you something. :)

Clearly. Tongue

david7896

Jan 29, 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #15 of 39 (3595 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jumpingrock] a real climber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jumpingrock wrote:
I once gave a shit. Now I don't. If you enjoy climbing you are a climber. If you don't, stop climbing.
i couldnt agree more

TheBishop

Jan 29, 2011, 10:57 PM
Post #16 of 39 (3576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I may be a new climber and new to this forum, but I have been an outdoorsman for years prior. I have always enjoyed the outdoor, hiking, mountaineering, backpacking, and anything else that gets me out in to the wild places. For me, rock climbing is just another way to experience the outdoors.

I find it unfortunate that some one has to quantify the definition of a "real" rock climber with a grade. Is a 5.11c more fun to climb than a 5.5? More rewarding? To a single person the answer would be yes. But since the sport of climbing is full of different people at different skill levels and ability levels, two different people can enjoy two radically different climbs equally. I now regularly climb at the 9 level and have started on some 10's, but I enjoy the 7's I warm up on.

Climbing is a personal endeavor. If bouldering is your thing, go for it. If you are happy at staying a 5.7-8 top rope climber, than good for you. Enjoy yourself. If you want to be able to flash 5.13d on trad than good for you too. But don't discredit another climber simply because they have a different ambition and end goal in their climbing than you.

(This post was edited by TheBishop on Jan 30, 2011, 12:23 AM)

mountainmandoug

Feb 1, 2011, 12:47 AM
Post #17 of 39 (3368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

According to merriam-webster online, a climber is:

A. One who climbs, or one who assists in climbing.

So I'm going to say that if you actually climb things in the real world (as opposed to the cyber-world) you area a real climber. Otherwise you would be only a virtual climber.

I suppose any other definition would be pointless BS.
In reply to:
[/repl

currupt4130

Feb 1, 2011, 12:57 AM
Post #18 of 39 (3365 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jumpingrock] a real climber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jumpingrock wrote:

This.

/thread

l3uddy789

Feb 1, 2011, 1:58 AM
Post #19 of 39 (3324 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:

Sorry dude.

So you can only climb 5.10 i presume... Grade doesn't matter. Is a five year old kid who leads a 5.9 not a real climber... A real climber is someone who enjoys climbing whether it be a hobby or a sport. It's not all about competition and who can do what better.

enigma

Feb 1, 2011, 2:05 AM
Post #20 of 39 (3317 views)
Shortcut

Re: [currupt4130] a real climber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

currupt4130 wrote:
jumpingrock wrote:

This.

/thread
Smile Just Climb!

testpilot

Feb 1, 2011, 2:37 AM
Post #21 of 39 (3289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LostinMaine] a real climber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LostinMaine wrote:
Rmsyll2 wrote:

A climber is someone who makes it up a climb safely, and returns to do it again another day. That said, one should be honest about accomplishments. People tend to embellish quite a bit - just ask anyone who met a number of partners online.

Undoubtedly, you show up to the cliff only to find your new partner really won't "follow anything you can lead up", has amazingly just come back from an injury and is only comfortable leading 5.5 when they claim .11b onsight level, or hasn't climbed in a while, so their "lead head" isn't working properly and is only comfortable leading 5.5...

...at least these are the excuses I use.

Anyone who is new to this sport should be forced to read this multiple times and memorize it. Don't be so egotistical to feel the need embellish your ability. This only serves to irritate your partner for the day and make you look like a total fool.
A "real climber" is one who loves his/her sport and is proud and honest about his accomplishments no matter the difficulty.

swoopee

Feb 1, 2011, 2:47 AM
Post #22 of 39 (3280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It doesn't really matter how hard you climb, you have to climb harder to be a real climber. Wink

spikeddem

Feb 1, 2011, 3:40 AM
Post #23 of 39 (3251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [currupt4130] a real climber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

currupt4130 wrote:
jumpingrock wrote:

This.

/thread
Frustrated grade chasers are climbers too.

climbingtrash

Feb 1, 2011, 4:08 AM
Post #24 of 39 (3236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The real climber iz the one hazing the most fun.

climbingtrash

Feb 1, 2011, 4:09 AM
Post #25 of 39 (3233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingtrash] a real climber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingtrash wrote:
The real climber iz the one hazing the most fun.

And the one with the most...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook