Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
To add to the Climbing dictionary : definitions of power, power endurance...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

thomasribiere

Feb 1, 2011, 7:35 AM
Post #1 of 2 (562 views)
Shortcut

To add to the Climbing dictionary : definitions of power, power endurance...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi all,

as a foreigner, I'm still a bit confused with the following terms used in climbing : power, power-endurance, endurance...

In France, we use the words
- force = power or strength (short exercise, bouldering type)
- résistance longue = endurance I suppose = use of the aerobic respiration for long exercises,
- résistance courte, which might be what you call power-endurance, but not sure. Résistance courte is the use of the anaerobic glycolysis system (with production of acid lactic). Typically one pitch overhangs with no rest.
- continuité or conti, which is a kind of mix of endurance and ability to take useful/complete rests in hard routes, like overhangs with good rests (kneebars under tufas ; large pocket on which you can rest one arm after the other)...

If someone with enough scientific knowledge could add some meaningful definitions here : http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ictionary_528.html#p, it would be great. Thank you.

kachoong

Feb 1, 2011, 7:54 AM
Post #2 of 2 (545 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] To add to the Climbing dictionary : definitions of power, power endurance... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

thomasribiere wrote:
hi all,

as a foreigner, I'm still a bit confused with the following terms used in climbing : power, power-endurance, endurance...

In France, we use the words
- force = power or strength (short exercise, bouldering type)
- résistance longue = endurance I suppose = use of the aerobic respiration for long exercises,
- résistance courte, which might be what you call power-endurance, but not sure. Résistance courte is the use of the anaerobic glycolysis system (with production of acid lactic). Typically one pitch overhangs with no rest.
- continuité or conti, which is a kind of mix of endurance and ability to take useful/complete rests in hard routes, like overhangs with good rests (kneebars under tufas ; large pocket on which you can rest one arm after the other)...

If someone with enough scientific knowledge could add some meaningful definitions here : http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ictionary_528.html#p, it would be great. Thank you.

It sounds like you guys have a decent qualification system for terminology. I think you have the right idea though.

I would say power-endurance is, as you guessed, most used here to define your résistance courte above... extended climbing using anaerobic system.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$18.54 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook