Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All


guangzhou


Feb 4, 2011, 2:54 AM
Post #1 of 38 (5596 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3389

Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

I put together this simple logbook for those of you who want to keep track of your climbing this year.

https://www.createspace.com/3538236

Cheers
Eman


(This post was edited by guangzhou on Feb 5, 2011, 6:58 PM)


DouglasHunter


Feb 5, 2011, 3:41 PM
Post #2 of 38 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 1, 2010
Posts: 106

Re: [guangzhou] Keeping track [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

a preview would be nice.


guangzhou


Feb 5, 2011, 7:00 PM
Post #3 of 38 (5469 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3389

Re: [DouglasHunter] Keeping track [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

DouglasHunter wrote:
a preview would be nice.

http://www.amazon.com/...Asia&x=0&y=0

You can have a preview if you go to amazon.com and the look inside feature.

Eman


DouglasHunter


Feb 6, 2011, 8:19 PM
Post #4 of 38 (5382 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 1, 2010
Posts: 106

Re: [guangzhou] Keeping track [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

got it, thanks.


majid_sabet


Feb 6, 2011, 8:37 PM
Post #5 of 38 (5376 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 12, 2002
Posts: 8363

Re: [guangzhou] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

very handy for crash investigators like me


l3uddy789


Feb 6, 2011, 9:44 PM
Post #6 of 38 (5352 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 13, 2011
Posts: 98

Re: [guangzhou] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does this sell well? I feel it would be much more cost effective to use an excel spreadsheet


guangzhou


Feb 6, 2011, 10:12 PM
Post #7 of 38 (5343 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3389

Re: [l3uddy789] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

l3uddy789 wrote:
Does this sell well? I feel it would be much more cost effective to use an excel spreadsheet

Not everyone want o take their computer to the cliff. In all honesty, I still prefer paper books to ebooks too.


guangzhou


Feb 7, 2011, 4:19 PM
Post #8 of 38 (5260 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3389

Re: [majid_sabet] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
very handy for crash investigators like me

How so???


granite_grrl


Feb 7, 2011, 4:26 PM
Post #9 of 38 (5256 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 14831

Re: [guangzhou] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not for everyone, but some people might like the format.


MidnightR


Feb 7, 2011, 4:30 PM
Post #10 of 38 (5253 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 15, 2010
Posts: 42

Re: [granite_grrl] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Why would I pay for something that would take me less than 5 minutes to make myself :S


jbro_135


Feb 7, 2011, 7:24 PM
Post #11 of 38 (5208 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2009
Posts: 662

Re: [MidnightR] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

MidnightR wrote:
Why would I pay for something that would take me less than 5 minutes to make myself :S

MidnightR says what everyone is thinking


guangzhou


Feb 7, 2011, 7:39 PM
Post #12 of 38 (5201 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3389

Re: [jbro_135] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jbro_135 wrote:
MidnightR wrote:
Why would I pay for something that would take me less than 5 minutes to make myself :S

MidnightR says what everyone is thinking

Everyone minus the 1344 people who already bought one in January.


spikeddem


Feb 7, 2011, 8:50 PM
Post #13 of 38 (5173 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [guangzhou] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
jbro_135 wrote:
MidnightR wrote:
Why would I pay for something that would take me less than 5 minutes to make myself :S

MidnightR says what everyone is thinking

Everyone minus the 1344 people who already bought one in January.
If that's true, then your forecasted sales are not looking too strong.


guangzhou


Feb 7, 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #14 of 38 (5154 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3389

Re: [spikeddem] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
jbro_135 wrote:
MidnightR wrote:
Why would I pay for something that would take me less than 5 minutes to make myself :S

MidnightR says what everyone is thinking

Everyone minus the 1344 people who already bought one in January.
If that's true, then your forecasted sales are not looking too strong.

Why is that? Seems reasonable to me so far. One month in print.


DouglasHunter


Feb 7, 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #15 of 38 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 1, 2010
Posts: 106

Re: [spikeddem] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

for a climbing title, selling over 1,000 in a month is a fantastic sales number. Its hard to imagine that a climbing log would do that well.


(This post was edited by DouglasHunter on Feb 7, 2011, 10:57 PM)


guangzhou


Feb 7, 2011, 11:40 PM
Post #16 of 38 (5135 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3389

Re: [DouglasHunter] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

DouglasHunter wrote:
for a climbing title, selling over 1,000 in a month is a fantastic sales number. Its hard to imagine that a climbing log would do that well.

I was bit surprised that such an easy concept would go quickly. I am guessing that some people bough t as part of new years resolution. I doubt I will see 2000 sales by the end of the year.

Of course, a thousand copies a month all year would be great for me.


MidnightR


Feb 8, 2011, 6:37 AM
Post #17 of 38 (5120 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 15, 2010
Posts: 42

Re: [guangzhou] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Not bad to have that many sales, I guess it just goes to show there are many foolish people with too much $$


edge


Feb 8, 2011, 8:16 AM
Post #18 of 38 (5093 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 14, 2003
Posts: 9118

Re: [guangzhou] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
I put together this simple logbook for those of you who want to keep track of your climbing this year.

https://www.createspace.com/3538236

Cheers
Eman

This looks very similar to a log book entitled "Climbing Notes" published by The Mountaineers in the late 70's.

I have four of them that I kept diligently beginning with my first outing on rock and continuing into the early 80's. My biggest regret is not continuing to keep the same records up to present day, but alas, they went out of print and I was too lazy (and busy climbing) to develop my own.

Those four log books, along with seperate journal style notebooks that I kept for major road trips, are a treasure to have and look back on. I can't recommend this highly enough.

Cheers, Eman!

Loran


spikeddem


Feb 8, 2011, 8:22 AM
Post #19 of 38 (5089 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [guangzhou] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
jbro_135 wrote:
MidnightR wrote:
Why would I pay for something that would take me less than 5 minutes to make myself :S

MidnightR says what everyone is thinking

Everyone minus the 1344 people who already bought one in January.
If that's true, then your forecasted sales are not looking too strong.

Why is that? Seems reasonable to me so far. One month in print.
Haha. It was simply a light joke at the fact that you essentially said, "Everyone minus the 1344 people who already bought one in January are thinking 'Why would I pay for something that would take me less than 5 minutes to make myself ?'"

That would seem to suggest that every potential sale has already been made. Tongue

Good work putting together something that has been useful for so many people.


guangzhou


Feb 8, 2011, 4:16 PM
Post #20 of 38 (5045 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3389

Re: [edge] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edge wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
I put together this simple logbook for those of you who want to keep track of your climbing this year.

https://www.createspace.com/3538236

Cheers
Eman

This looks very similar to a log book entitled "Climbing Notes" published by The Mountaineers in the late 70's.

I have four of them that I kept diligently beginning with my first outing on rock and continuing into the early 80's. My biggest regret is not continuing to keep the same records up to present day, but alas, they went out of print and I was too lazy (and busy climbing) to develop my own.

Those four log books, along with seperate journal style notebooks that I kept for major road trips, are a treasure to have and look back on. I can't recommend this highly enough.

Cheers, Eman!

Loran

Hopefully not to similar. On the other hand, maybe you should take up the habit again. It's never to late to re-pick-up a habit you miss.


edge


Feb 9, 2011, 6:34 AM
Post #21 of 38 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 14, 2003
Posts: 9118

Re: [guangzhou] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
edge wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
I put together this simple logbook for those of you who want to keep track of your climbing this year.

https://www.createspace.com/3538236

Cheers
Eman

This looks very similar to a log book entitled "Climbing Notes" published by The Mountaineers in the late 70's.

I have four of them that I kept diligently beginning with my first outing on rock and continuing into the early 80's. My biggest regret is not continuing to keep the same records up to present day, but alas, they went out of print and I was too lazy (and busy climbing) to develop my own.

Those four log books, along with seperate journal style notebooks that I kept for major road trips, are a treasure to have and look back on. I can't recommend this highly enough.

Cheers, Eman!

Loran

Hopefully not to similar. On the other hand, maybe you should take up the habit again. It's never to late to re-pick-up a habit you miss.

Here's a pic of one of the early pages in my first log book. I think by necessity a lot of the fields would have to be similar.




kachoong


Feb 9, 2011, 6:48 AM
Post #22 of 38 (4970 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 22, 2004
Posts: 15304

Re: [edge] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edge wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
edge wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
I put together this simple logbook for those of you who want to keep track of your climbing this year.

https://www.createspace.com/3538236

Cheers
Eman

This looks very similar to a log book entitled "Climbing Notes" published by The Mountaineers in the late 70's.

I have four of them that I kept diligently beginning with my first outing on rock and continuing into the early 80's. My biggest regret is not continuing to keep the same records up to present day, but alas, they went out of print and I was too lazy (and busy climbing) to develop my own.

Those four log books, along with seperate journal style notebooks that I kept for major road trips, are a treasure to have and look back on. I can't recommend this highly enough.

Cheers, Eman!

Loran

Hopefully not to similar. On the other hand, maybe you should take up the habit again. It's never to late to re-pick-up a habit you miss.

Here's a pic of one of the early pages in my first log book. I think by necessity a lot of the fields would have to be similar.


Drugs are bad... m'kay?!


edge


Feb 9, 2011, 6:59 AM
Post #23 of 38 (4962 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 14, 2003
Posts: 9118

Re: [kachoong] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
edge wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
edge wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
I put together this simple logbook for those of you who want to keep track of your climbing this year.

https://www.createspace.com/3538236

Cheers
Eman

This looks very similar to a log book entitled "Climbing Notes" published by The Mountaineers in the late 70's.

I have four of them that I kept diligently beginning with my first outing on rock and continuing into the early 80's. My biggest regret is not continuing to keep the same records up to present day, but alas, they went out of print and I was too lazy (and busy climbing) to develop my own.

Those four log books, along with seperate journal style notebooks that I kept for major road trips, are a treasure to have and look back on. I can't recommend this highly enough.

Cheers, Eman!

Loran

Hopefully not to similar. On the other hand, maybe you should take up the habit again. It's never to late to re-pick-up a habit you miss.

Here's a pic of one of the early pages in my first log book. I think by necessity a lot of the fields would have to be similar.


Drugs are bad... m'kay?!

We were training lung capacity at the time.


guangzhou


Feb 9, 2011, 4:16 PM
Post #24 of 38 (4928 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3389

Re: [edge] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

edge wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
edge wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
I put together this simple logbook for those of you who want to keep track of your climbing this year.

https://www.createspace.com/3538236

Cheers
Eman

This looks very similar to a log book entitled "Climbing Notes" published by The Mountaineers in the late 70's.

I have four of them that I kept diligently beginning with my first outing on rock and continuing into the early 80's. My biggest regret is not continuing to keep the same records up to present day, but alas, they went out of print and I was too lazy (and busy climbing) to develop my own.

Those four log books, along with seperate journal style notebooks that I kept for major road trips, are a treasure to have and look back on. I can't recommend this highly enough.

Cheers, Eman!

Loran

Hopefully not to similar. On the other hand, maybe you should take up the habit again. It's never to late to re-pick-up a habit you miss.

Here's a pic of one of the early pages in my first log book. I think by necessity a lot of the fields would have to be similar.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/loransmith/Climbing/DSCN3025.jpg[/IMG]

Very detailed. What changed that you stopped keeping track? Curious, nothing more.

I always wonder why people change habit. I knew a guy who ran marathons. A couple a year for over a decade. He was a semi running partner, and one day he just quit running all together. Said he just lost interest.

When I say one day, I mean, we ran together one Saturday morning, a nice 10Km trail in the hills, on Monday when I saw him, he said he wasn't going to run anymore.

Sort of like the scene in Forest Gump. He just stopped running.


hyongx


Feb 16, 2011, 9:10 PM
Post #25 of 38 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 16, 2004
Posts: 209

Re: [guangzhou] Keeping track OF YOUR CLIMBS AND GOALS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:

Very detailed. What changed that you stopped keeping track? Curious, nothing more.

I always wonder why people change habit. I knew a guy who ran marathons. A couple a year for over a decade. He was a semi running partner, and one day he just quit running all together. Said he just lost interest.

When I say one day, I mean, we ran together one Saturday morning, a nice 10Km trail in the hills, on Monday when I saw him, he said he wasn't going to run anymore.

Sort of like the scene in Forest Gump. He just stopped running.

I did that with my climbing habit,
replaced it with a guilt complex and OCD weights/cardio.
:/

sport routes today won't help me climb cerro torre when I'm 40, anyway. That's my current reasoning.

looks like a nice logbook. I usually just use a composition book though, and write date, partners, and route highlights. some of those entries, gear, driving directions, etc, are repetitive if its just for cragging.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook