Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Smooth Criminal, North 40, HCR
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

highstepper

Feb 9, 2011, 1:01 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1003 views)
Shortcut

Smooth Criminal, North 40, HCR  (North_America: United_States: Arkansas: Buffalo_National_River: Horseshoe_Canyon_Ranch)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This brand new 5.9 sport line is two routes left of private property. During the 24HHH climbing comp. I clipped a single anchor (to save time knowing I had draws to catch me if the anchor failed) and when I called for a take the anchor bolt failed! I pulled the left bolt off the wall due to a loose nut holding it in place. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt too badly when I bounced off the nearby tree after a 20+ foot whip.

I realize that climbing at night, clipping a single anchor bolt, and not inspecting that bolt may be a poor practice, but I chose to climb this way in the interest of speed. Regardless, be careful out there! A previous post showed a similar problem on another new route called Stiff Necked Fools. Clearly, some expansion bolts are not being properly installed. The safety of new routes at HCR should not to be overlooked.

redonkulus

Feb 9, 2011, 2:36 PM
Post #2 of 3 (980 views)
Shortcut

Re: [highstepper] Smooth Criminal, North 40, HCR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard about this from a guy who was there actually. Said he heard a ping, and then you were airborne. Glad you didn't get too damaged.

jolery

Feb 11, 2011, 11:06 AM
Post #3 of 3 (946 views)
Shortcut

Re: [highstepper] Smooth Criminal, North 40, HCR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn! That's scary - I climbed that route in 24HHH, also climbed it a couple of weeks earlier - glad to hear you are okay - I didn't even know that happened. New routes need expansion bolts checked and retightened after a week or two.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook