RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

MidnightR

Feb 11, 2011, 4:02 PM
Post #1 of 5 (849 views)
Shortcut

The pain has returned...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

BACKGROUND

OK so I started climbing last August and from the start I was going around 3 times a week for around 2-4 hours a session. After getting over the immediate problem of callouses (my hands were shreds the first few weeks) I developed really bad arm pain.

The pain is concentrated around the biceps but does also include the elbow and upper forearms. It's definitely muscular I believe, not a sharp pain but more an achy pain, like you would feel after a work out. Sometimes it gets really bad & I can barely lift my arm up.

The thing is, I get zero pain while actually on the wall and immediately afterwards. The pain only seems to be present while the muscles are not being used. I can barely lift my arms as previously mentioned but if I tense my muscles all pain goes away.

It's not progressive, the pain starts about 15minutes into my session and stays at the same intensity for the entire session. Taking time out doesn't stop the pain. Warming up or doing easy routes doesn't stop it either. Climbing less doesn't stop it either unless I go right down to one day per week.

---

OK so I had this pain for a few months, probably until November sort of time. Then it just stopped one day and didn't come back. I could train as hard as I wanted and wouldn't experience any pain. After taking a 1month break it's back again!

---

I'm guessing the muscles just aren't used to the exercise. I don't think its an injury... Has anyone else experienced this, any tips about getting through it. Could anyone explain what the heck is going on?

MidnightR

Feb 11, 2011, 4:05 PM
Post #2 of 5 (845 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MidnightR] The pain has returned... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh after the bicep pain left I started to develop wrist pain. Not as bad as the bicep pain but still irritating.

That's why I've just put it up as the stages of pain climbers have to go through... xD

I mostly boulder btw, I wouldn't trust myself to belay while I have this problem either, my hands are practically shaking sometimes.

Nold

Feb 11, 2011, 5:42 PM
Post #3 of 5 (804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like whats going on with me. I saw a dr a few months ago. He basicly said its tendonitis.

MidnightR

Feb 11, 2011, 6:42 PM
Post #4 of 5 (793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Nold] The pain has returned... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nold wrote:
Sounds like whats going on with me. I saw a dr a few months ago. He basicly said its tendonitis.

I dunno, I thought if you didn't rest that would just get worse. I didn't rest before and it just carried on as normal until it healed. It doesn't hurt any more a few hours after climbing, just immediately after it seems...

I'll probably see a doc to be sure...

(This post was edited by MidnightR on Feb 11, 2011, 6:46 PM)

shockabuku

Feb 13, 2011, 8:03 AM
Post #5 of 5 (718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tendonitis - AKA Climber's/Golfer's/Tennis elbow. Except apparently some of those actually happen in different parts of the elbow. There's a lot of info here on the problem. Some info, and it's questionable, on the treatment. Bottom line is it's an overuse injury and continuing at the same level of use will only further aggravate it. Both intensity and quantity of use can cause it.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook