Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

Feb 9, 2011, 6:22 AM
Post #126 of 173 (6584 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
camhead wrote:
cracklover wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
cracklover wrote:
The whole package leaves a bad taste in the mouth among people who have limited patience for juvenile BS. Especially if they know they could be spending online time with people who respect them elsewhere.

Perhaps such people shouldn't spend so much time on an internet chat forum. Or just lightenharden the fuck up.

Pay attention. We're not talking about current posters like me who are occasionally whiny. We're talking about people who've left rc.com. People who (unlike me) actually have worthwhile stuff to contribute.

GO

Has anyone thought of asking people like John Gill, John Long, or Rich Goldstone why they don't post on here as often as they used to? They are all still pretty prevalent on other sites.

According to the poll of the user base, it's because they're all afraid of Jay.

So they fled to the protective womb of Supertopo.

It's true that I humbled Gilll. Not as much as BURT BRONSON did, of course, as Gill admits.

Jay

notapplicable

Feb 9, 2011, 5:49 PM
Post #127 of 173 (6481 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbs4fun] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

climbs4fun wrote:
jt512 wrote:
climbs4fun wrote:
I'm simply saying that there needs to be a solution. The last paragraph of your post provided a good start. But for it to happen, then we need to start recruiting more moderators. Any suggestions for that?

Suggestions for strategies to recruit moderators or for specific individuals?

Jay

Who does everybody think would make good, impartial, diligent moderators? I'm curious.

After a review of the last 250 posts made by all the moderators I could think of, I have a suggestion.

Fenix83 hasn't posted since 2009 so I won't count him.

Epoch, Macherry, Edge, Climbs4fun & Bondegecko post almost exclusively in the "Community" and "Rockclimbing.com" forums (AKA the nonclimbing related forums). In several cases, only 1 in 25 of their posts are outside of those areas.

Philbox does much better with roughly 1 post in the climbing forums for every 5 in the nonclimbing related forums. And Wonderwoman dominated with 1/2 of all her posting being done in the climbing related forums.

So perhaps you could try to draw from the small pool of longterm posters who post more more frequently, or even exclusively in the climbing related forums. Might add a different perspective to the moderating mix while also boosting your numbers.

notapplicable

Feb 9, 2011, 5:54 PM
Post #128 of 173 (6471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would volunteer (seeing as how I post in the climbing forums more than 3/4 of the mods) but I do not believe I would be seriously considered and would like to avoid the hurtful rejection. I just hate crying in public.

sungam

Feb 9, 2011, 5:55 PM
Post #129 of 173 (6469 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
climbs4fun wrote:
jt512 wrote:
climbs4fun wrote:
I'm simply saying that there needs to be a solution. The last paragraph of your post provided a good start. But for it to happen, then we need to start recruiting more moderators. Any suggestions for that?

Jay

Who does everybody think would make good, impartial, diligent moderators? I'm curious.

After a review of the last 250 posts made by all the moderators I could think of, I have a suggestion.

Epoch, Macherry, Edge, Climbs4fun & Bondegecko post almost exclusively in the "Community" and "Rockclimbing.com" forums (AKA the nonclimbing related forums). In several cases, only 1 in 25 of their posts are outside of those areas.

Philbox does much better with roughly 1 post in the climbing forums for every 5 in the nonclimbing related forums. And Wonderwoman dominated with 1/2 of all her posting being done in the climbing related forums.

So perhaps you could try to draw from the small pool of longterm posters who post more more frequently, or even exclusively in the climbing related forums. Might add a different perspective to the moderating mix while also boosting your numbers.
Hey, sungam is a long term user! AND he posts in both!

spikeddem

Feb 9, 2011, 6:01 PM
Post #130 of 173 (6458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
climbs4fun wrote:
jt512 wrote:
climbs4fun wrote:

Jay

Check out the post I just made in the SPCI. It's got actual numbers on bunches of random users. Blondgecko is actually doing quite well at 60% non-campground posts.

tripperjm

Feb 9, 2011, 6:06 PM
Post #131 of 173 (6443 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
climbs4fun wrote:
jt512 wrote:
climbs4fun wrote:

Jay

Check out the post I just made in the SPCI. It's got actual numbers on bunches of random users. Blondgecko is actually doing quite well at 60% non-campground posts.

SPCI? Link please.

Partner cracklover

Feb 9, 2011, 6:49 PM
Post #135 of 173 (6378 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
k.l.k wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Believe it or not, all the noise notwithstanding, this is the number 1 site on the internet for bleeding edge discussion of technical climbing issues.

Not.

So, what site is?

Jay

I'm on the same page as Jay on this one.

If there is another better site for such content, I'd like to know about it.

GO

notapplicable

Feb 9, 2011, 7:19 PM
Post #136 of 173 (6444 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
climbs4fun wrote:
jt512 wrote:
climbs4fun wrote:

Jay

Hey, sungam is a long term user! AND he posts in both!

Perhaps I didn't think this through...

ddt

Feb 9, 2011, 8:49 PM
Post #137 of 173 (6329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've detached and move a sub-thread from this thread, related to a (mostly) different topic. The detached thread can be found here.

DDT

k.l.k

Feb 9, 2011, 8:52 PM
Post #138 of 173 (6325 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
jt512 wrote:
k.l.k wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Believe it or not, all the noise notwithstanding, this is the number 1 site on the internet for bleeding edge discussion of technical climbing issues.

Not.

So, what site is?

I don't really have time for this, but the basic problem is contained in J's phrase, "technical climbing issues." I see that as part of the problem, rather than the solution, because I think the basic avenue of approach to "technical climbing issues" here is actually part of the n00b issue.

So let me break this into two parts. The first is a basic response to a version of that question, which is, what climbing sites do you prefer for climbing-related content, if we set aside questions of format or whether i like the mods or whatever.

if i am wanting to think about alpinism (esp. in the us), whether glacier travel systems, the current status of mixed fas, current arguments over axes or changing glacial conditions or whatever, i'd go to cascadeclimbers.

if i'm wanting to think about anything involving sierras or free-wallclimbing or hauling systems or high-angle rescue or dealing with the transition from aid-to-free routes or most anything haveing to do with what could pass in amateur circles as history, i go to st.

if i am wanting anything about uk and europe (or one-stop for best editorial content) in english, first stop is ukc.

if i'm looking for 1 stop into on routes, weather, logistics and technical data for a lot of different ranges, i still go 1st to SP, despite the recent unpleasantness.

If I'm looking for stuff on climbing-specific training I'd go to any of a number of different sites.

But you get the idea: There is basically nothing, no topic, on which I would 1st go to rc.com. Not even baking, gardening, or pets.

Again, each of tehse sites has a culture very different from here, most of them have different revenue models, and only UKC and probably SP have similar or better metrics. But that, too, probably tells us something.

Partner cracklover

Feb 9, 2011, 9:12 PM
Post #139 of 173 (6312 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
cracklover wrote:
jt512 wrote:
k.l.k wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Not.

So, what site is?

I don't really have time for this, but the basic problem is contained in J's phrase, "technical climbing issues." I see that as part of the problem, rather than the solution, because I think the basic avenue of approach to "technical climbing issues" here is actually part of the n00b issue.

So let me break this into two parts. The first is a basic response to a version of that question, which is, what climbing sites do you prefer for climbing-related content, if we set aside questions of format or whether i like the mods or whatever.

if i am wanting to think about alpinism (esp. in the us), whether glacier travel systems, the current status of mixed fas, current arguments over axes or changing glacial conditions or whatever, i'd go to cascadeclimbers.

if i'm wanting to think about anything involving sierras or free-wallclimbing or hauling systems or high-angle rescue or dealing with the transition from aid-to-free routes or most anything haveing to do with what could pass in amateur circles as history, i go to st.

if i am wanting anything about uk and europe (or one-stop for best editorial content) in english, first stop is ukc.

if i'm looking for 1 stop into on routes, weather, logistics and technical data for a lot of different ranges, i still go 1st to SP, despite the recent unpleasantness.

If I'm looking for stuff on climbing-specific training I'd go to any of a number of different sites.

But you get the idea: There is basically nothing, no topic, on which I would 1st go to rc.com. Not even baking, gardening, or pets.

Again, each of tehse sites has a culture very different from here, most of them have different revenue models, and only UKC and probably SP have similar or better metrics. But that, too, probably tells us something.

I wouldn't disagree with anything substantive in your post, but you missed the point. What Jay and I are referring to as "technical" is the sort of stuff you'd find in "The Lab" forum here.

So I still think this technical arena is one area in which RC.com is above any of those other sites.

GO

snoopy138

Feb 10, 2011, 12:14 AM
Post #140 of 173 (6287 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
k.l.k wrote:
cracklover wrote:
jt512 wrote:
k.l.k wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Not.

So, what site is?

I wouldn't disagree with anything substantive in your post, but you missed the point. What Jay and I are referring to as "technical" is the sort of stuff you'd find in "The Lab" forum here.

So I still think this technical arena is one area in which RC.com is above any of those other sites.

GO

How does the lab now compare to whatever Aric's site is doing?

jt512

Feb 10, 2011, 2:36 AM
Post #141 of 173 (6263 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
k.l.k wrote:
cracklover wrote:
jt512 wrote:
k.l.k wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Not.

So, what site is?

GO

How does the lab now compare to whatever Aric's site is doing?

There's not much going on over there.

Jay

curt

Feb 10, 2011, 4:07 AM
Post #142 of 173 (6247 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
...I could careless how many post someone has, I try to look at the content. In most cases, those with highest post counts seems the most lost to me...

Well, I hit my head. If you find me, could you please point me towards home? Thanks

Curt

curt

Feb 10, 2011, 4:11 AM
Post #143 of 173 (6244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
...Has anyone thought of asking people like John Gill, John Long, or Rich Goldstone why they don't post on here as often as they used to? They are all still pretty prevalent on other sites.

Gill posts very rarely on any site anymore, I'm uncertain about JL, and Rich is on RC.com almost every day.

Curt

jt512

Feb 10, 2011, 4:17 AM
Post #144 of 173 (6237 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
camhead wrote:
...Has anyone thought of asking people like John Gill, John Long, or Rich Goldstone why they don't post on here as often as they used to? They are all still pretty prevalent on other sites.

Gill posts very rarely on any site anymore . . .
Curt

Pay attention. He was run off the site by me and Burt Bronson.

Jay

curt

Feb 10, 2011, 4:52 AM
Post #145 of 173 (6227 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
curt wrote:
camhead wrote:

Gill posts very rarely on any site anymore . . .
Curt

Pay attention. He was run off the site by me and Burt Bronson.

Jay

Really, Jay? It should be "Burt Bronson and me."

Curt

Partner cracklover

Feb 11, 2011, 4:04 PM
Post #146 of 173 (6149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TonyB3] Why are Ad Hominem Attacks Allowed By Some Users? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
Also... I think that often posters have a life cycle on sites. I don't think this site is very informative any more.... <snip> Maybe that's why cracklover's friends bailed, because there was no new meaningful content.

Actually, I think you've got it backwards. They still post new "meaningful" (whatever that means) content. They just don't do it here. As for why they left, I'll quote my prior post where I explained (to the best of my recollection, this was like three years ago) what they told me:

cracklover wrote:
What it boils down to is that the maturity level of the discourse was so low as to make it an unpleasant experience to participate. Noobs giving bad advice, people being rude to each other, a large and vocal group who treat the whole site and the posts in it as a big joke for their amusement.

And to top it all off, there were the frequent changes (seemingly every couple of years) in management, with major (and sometimes not fully implemented) site changes, new draconian restrictions on content and inline images, fights amongst the moderators resulting in mass layoffs....

The whole package left a bad taste in the mouth and these guys had limited patience for juvenile BS. Especially since they could be (and now are) spending their time online with people who respect them - at other climbing sites.

As for:

caughtinside wrote:
but, if they're only going to PM him, and not either contribute something worthwhile, or at least complain to a mod who could potentially but won't do something, I guess they don't get a vote.

I have no idea what they did or didn't do on their own, and neither do you. As for whether they get a vote or not, climbsforfun and others were wondering why many of these types of posters frequent rc.com less and less. That sure sounds like a request for info, or, as you put it, a "vote".

GO

k.l.k

Feb 12, 2011, 5:44 PM
Post #147 of 173 (6092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:

No I didn't miss the point, I just didn't have time to get to the second part of my post. As I said, what many folks here think of as the glory of RC.com-- the engidorking --is actually part of what screams, "n00b."

rc.com is a harmonic convergence point for several unhappy cultural trends:

1. americans generally believe that massive applications of technology are the solution to any problem.

2. the outdoor industry lives to sell increasingly needless or specialized bits of shiny "technical" commodities to anyone who will buy them.

3. the overwhelming majority of posters/visitors to this site learned or did most of their early climbing in gym/roadside environments, and each successive step into new types of climbing seems to be about learning how to use occult bits of new technical gear.

as a result, "technical" discussions regularly take the following form:

n00b doe ventures into the great outdoors then

a. gets off-route
b. gets in over his head and can't downclimb
c. sticks the pro in his only toe-jams
d. clusters the anchor/rap

and then dies/epics/breaks the shiny bit of technology that was supposed to be his salvation.

the ensuing thread then runs 17 pages of venn diagrams, vector overlays, multiple regression analyses of similar accidents, arguments about alloys, alternative and occult anchoring systems, corrections of mathematical errors, and the rare, occasional and easy to ignore post with actual relevant content.

"bleeding edge of technical climbing issues" is exactly right. what n00bs take away from these discussions is going to be exactly the wrong lesson, namely, a confirmation of their mistaken but deeply-held belief that climbing is about manipulating obscure bits of technical hardware.

death by gps.

Partner cracklover

Feb 13, 2011, 3:10 PM
Post #148 of 173 (6020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope. Yes, that sort of thing could happen here for sure. But totally irrelevant to what I'm talking about.

But cheers anyway.

GO

k.l.k

Feb 13, 2011, 5:14 PM
Post #149 of 173 (6002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
. . . totally irrelevant to what I'm talking about.

So link some recent examples that we could take over to st or ukc and persuade the crowds there to revise their judgment of rc.

I can only think of two: the work done in the aliens meltdown thread (s). and maybe certain of the threads in the accidents forum, where heavy moderation seems really useful.

Partner cracklover

Feb 13, 2011, 7:20 PM
Post #150 of 173 (5985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
cracklover wrote:
. . . totally irrelevant to what I'm talking about.

So link some recent examples that we could take over to st or ukc and persuade the crowds there to revise their judgment of rc.

I can only think of two: the work done in the aliens meltdown thread (s). and maybe certain of the threads in the accidents forum, where heavy moderation seems really useful.

Are you kidding? I'm not familiar with UKC, but on supertopo there is zero interest in such stuff. Negative interest, actually - it gets ridiculed. Even when the people talking are gear engineers, mathematicians, and statisticians.

I can think of one such conversation there, when many of the participants who helped work up the testing and analysis behind the new John Long anchors book were trying to present some of their findings. Here such a thing might be greeted with too much attention by too many noobs, but there it was ridiculed, considered stupid, pointless, and uninteresting. Any time another thread along those lines has started it's been shouted down quickly.

Calling attention to such threads here on rc.com would only be more proof of rc.com's idiocy.

As for recent examples - I haven't actually followed anything recently. But the Alien threads and the anchor thread were examples.

GO

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook