Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
RB Alternatives
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Tipton

Feb 15, 2011, 5:16 AM
Post #1 of 2 (600 views)
Shortcut

RB Alternatives  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Rumbling_Bald)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm considering a trip to Rumbling Bald soon and I'm worried about parking. If the lot is full what alternatives exist? Are there parking areas that we can hike in from that are further away?

Also, what other climbing areas are nearby that we could check out? I see that Linville is 1.5 hours away and Looking Glass is 1 hour away. Are these the only options if the parking at RB is full?

Thanks for any advice!

clemsonscooby

Feb 15, 2011, 6:56 AM
Post #2 of 2 (562 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tipton] RB Alternatives [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

They have been running a shuttle on the weekends from the Lake Lure Community Center parking lot to the RB lot. If you don't get lucky enough for that, you can always hike in from Lake Lure and pray someone picks you up on the way.

The Glass is a great idea, only about 45 minutes away. The road in is still closed, so you would have to walk from the Fish Hatchery, which adds about 30 min. to the S. Face approach. I would not try to go any deeper in on that road, as it adds a lot more time (over an 1.5 hours just to hike to trail head of the Nose area). Make sure it hasn't rained in a while and will be warm before you consider the Glass as an option.

Cedar is also good. It is west facing so it will get lots of late day sun, but it also seeps pretty bad, so it needs to be dry as well.

Crowder's is really close to RB as well. No limitations there. It dries very quickly and there are a few good sport, trad, and mixed lines. Get there early if you want to TR any of the classics.

Linville will most likely be too cold, but Shortoff is an option on warmer days.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$12.56 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook