Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Announcements:
New Functionality: Report this Post
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Announcements

Premier Sponsor:

 


ddt


Feb 21, 2011, 1:40 AM
Post #1 of 23 (9902 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2005
Posts: 2304

New Functionality: Report this Post
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi everyone,

Today we're rolling out some new functionality on Rockclimbing.com, allowing registered users to "report" any post made by another user if they believe it is in violation of the forum rules and terms of use of the site. The purpose of this functionality is to quickly alert all forum moderators of the offending post, so that appropriate action can be taken if necessary.

Clicking on the "Report this Post" link, located directly underneath the subject line of every post, will take you to a simple form to submit your report. You will be required to select the "type" of report: spam, personal attack, inappropriate content, or other. You can also supply additional comments or notes to the moderators if you feel it's necessary to provide further explanation.

All reports will go to a queue which is visible to all moderators. The moderators will deal with reports in a timely fashion, and will provide feedback to the reporter if appropriate. Feedback will however not be provided for trivial cases such as spam.

Please note that the abuse of this system (i.e. filing unsubstantiated or frivolous reports) will not be tolerated, and may lead to the suspension of your user privileges. We understand however that you may think something is inappropriate and we may decide otherwise. That's OK. You should not hesitate to report something if you truly believe it violates the rules and terms.

I trust this functionality will enhance the overall moderation process and responsiveness. It places a tool in your hands with which you can directly influence the content and tone of your community.

Feel free to post up if you have any questions, comments or feedback. The system is brand new and we expect to tweak it over time.

Thanks,
DDT


sidepull


Feb 21, 2011, 8:37 AM
Post #2 of 23 (9713 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 11, 2001
Posts: 2334

Re: [ddt] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is there something that spurred this or a particular form of violation that has gotten out of hand (eg., too many people assuming pull-ups = redpoint grade or people disagreeing about the eact % of spandex needed for climbing tights)?

My stupid examples aside, what's the history / need driving the change?


notapplicable


Feb 21, 2011, 9:38 AM
Post #3 of 23 (9666 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17768

Re: [sidepull] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Man would I love to be a fly on that wall. I'd say that about 11,394 of jt512's posts have been reported so far this morning.


spikeddem


Feb 21, 2011, 10:01 AM
Post #4 of 23 (9641 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [notapplicable] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Man would I love to be a fly on that wall. I'd say that about 11,394 of jt512's posts have been reported so far this morning.
This is the very first thing that crossed my mind.

Edit: How about a tracking function so we can honor those that have the most nominations and the end of the year?


(This post was edited by spikeddem on Feb 21, 2011, 10:02 AM)


ddt


Feb 21, 2011, 10:24 AM
Post #5 of 23 (9606 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2005
Posts: 2304

Re: [sidepull] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
Is there something that spurred this or a particular form of violation that has gotten out of hand (eg., too many people assuming pull-ups = redpoint grade or people disagreeing about the eact % of spandex needed for climbing tights)?

My stupid examples aside, what's the history / need driving the change?

No, there was no specific violation or major event that spurred this. It's something we've talked about in the past, and it was recently suggested again here. Collectively the mod team felt it would be a good tool to have.


Arrogant_Bastard


Feb 21, 2011, 10:25 AM
Post #6 of 23 (9604 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 30, 2007
Posts: 19994

Re: [notapplicable] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Man would I love to be a fly on that wall. I'd say that about 11,394 of jt512's posts have been reported so far this morning.

I would prefer to be a fly on the wall of whatever forum the Mods will be venting their frustration with having to deal with this new system and the inevitable drama that it will cause.


Arrogant_Bastard


Feb 21, 2011, 10:27 AM
Post #7 of 23 (9603 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 30, 2007
Posts: 19994

Re: [ddt] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

ddt wrote:
Collectively the mod team felt it would be a good tool to have.

I was under the impression that the mod team was essentially comprised of tools.


notapplicable


Feb 21, 2011, 10:31 AM
Post #8 of 23 (9599 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17768

Re: [spikeddem] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Man would I love to be a fly on that wall. I'd say that about 11,394 of jt512's posts have been reported so far this morning.
This is the very first thing that crossed my mind.

Edit: How about a tracking function so we can honor those that have the most nominations and the end of the year?

I like that idea. I like it a lot.


notapplicable


Feb 21, 2011, 10:32 AM
Post #9 of 23 (9596 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17768

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Man would I love to be a fly on that wall. I'd say that about 11,394 of jt512's posts have been reported so far this morning.

I would prefer to be a fly on the wall of whatever forum the Mods will be venting their frustration with having to deal with this new system and the inevitable drama that it will cause.

Yes. Now they will actually have to work for their money.


justroberto


Feb 21, 2011, 12:17 PM
Post #10 of 23 (9532 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 21, 2006
Posts: 1876

Re: [notapplicable] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Man would I love to be a fly on that wall. I'd say that about 11,394 of jt512's posts have been reported so far this morning.

I would prefer to be a fly on the wall of whatever forum the Mods will be venting their frustration with having to deal with this new system and the inevitable drama that it will cause.

Yes. Now they will actually have to work for their money.
I would like to report this post.


moose_droppings


Feb 21, 2011, 4:19 PM
Post #11 of 23 (9434 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 7, 2005
Posts: 3357

Re: [ddt] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ddt wrote:
Hi everyone,

Today we're rolling out some new functionality on Rockclimbing.com, allowing registered users to "report" any post made by another user if they believe it is in violation of the forum rules and terms of use of the site. The purpose of this functionality is to quickly alert all forum moderators of the offending post, so that appropriate action can be taken if necessary.

Clicking on the "Report this Post" link, located directly underneath the subject line of every post, will take you to a simple form to submit your report. You will be required to select the "type" of report: spam, personal attack, inappropriate content, or other. You can also supply additional comments or notes to the moderators if you feel it's necessary to provide further explanation.

All reports will go to a queue which is visible to all moderators. The moderators will deal with reports in a timely fashion, and will provide feedback to the reporter if appropriate. Feedback will however not be provided for trivial cases such as spam.

Please note that the abuse of this system (i.e. filing unsubstantiated or frivolous reports) will not be tolerated, and may lead to the suspension of your user privileges. We understand however that you may think something is inappropriate and we may decide otherwise. That's OK. You should not hesitate to report something if you truly believe it violates the rules and terms.

I trust this functionality will enhance the overall moderation process and responsiveness. It places a tool in your hands with which you can directly influence the content and tone of your community.

Feel free to post up if you have any questions, comments or feedback. The system is brand new and we expect to tweak it over time.

Thanks,
DDT

I didn't see that option under this post.


Edit; I just reported this post.


(This post was edited by moose_droppings on Feb 21, 2011, 4:22 PM)


sungam


Feb 22, 2011, 4:48 AM
Post #12 of 23 (9250 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26611

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
ddt wrote:
Collectively the mod team felt it would be a good tool to have.

I was under the impression that the mod team was essentially comprised of tools.
YOU HAZ BEEN REPORTED.


Arrogant_Bastard


Feb 22, 2011, 8:13 AM
Post #13 of 23 (9183 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 30, 2007
Posts: 19994

Re: [sungam] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
ddt wrote:
Collectively the mod team felt it would be a good tool to have.

I was under the impression that the mod team was essentially comprised of tools.
YOU HAZ BEEN REPORTED.

Get in line.


jakedatc


Feb 22, 2011, 10:15 AM
Post #14 of 23 (9153 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 12, 2003
Posts: 11054

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
sungam wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
ddt wrote:
Collectively the mod team felt it would be a good tool to have.

I was under the impression that the mod team was essentially comprised of tools.
YOU HAZ BEEN REPORTED.

Get in line.

Your call is important to us, a representative will be with you shortly. *plays Kenny G muzak*


Partner j_ung


Feb 23, 2011, 5:39 AM
Post #15 of 23 (8928 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18689

Re: [ddt] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm going to go report every post in the BET. I'll be back 2022.

Seriously, though, I don't know if this will help make the site a more polite place to hang out, make it explode into rebellion or simply overload the system, but I hope it's the former. I see you've added new moderators, too. Good on ya, and good luck to them.


Arrogant_Bastard


Feb 23, 2011, 8:29 AM
Post #16 of 23 (8883 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 30, 2007
Posts: 19994

Re: [j_ung] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
I'm going to go report every post in the BET. I'll be back 2022.

Seriously, though, I don't know if this will help make the site a more polite place to hang out, make it explode into rebellion or simply overload the system, but I hope it's the former. I see you've added new moderators, too. Good on ya, and good luck to them.

J_ung, I appreciate your contributions.


Partner philbox
Moderator

Mar 5, 2011, 1:15 PM
Post #17 of 23 (8426 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 26, 2002
Posts: 13104

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
j_ung wrote:
I'm going to go report every post in the BET. I'll be back 2022.

Seriously, though, I don't know if this will help make the site a more polite place to hang out, make it explode into rebellion or simply overload the system, but I hope it's the former. I see you've added new moderators, too. Good on ya, and good luck to them.

J_ung, I appreciate your contributions.

I thought you'd report him at the very least, I did. Laugh


Partner j_ung


Mar 9, 2011, 4:24 AM
Post #18 of 23 (8364 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18689

Re: [j_ung] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
I'm going to go report every post in the BET. I'll be back 2022.

Seriously, though, I don't know if this will help make the site a more polite place to hang out, make it explode into rebellion or simply overload the system, but I hope it's the former. I see you've added new moderators, too. Good on ya, and good luck to them.

...or not make any difference at all?

How's it going, DDT?


ddt


Mar 9, 2011, 7:42 AM
Post #19 of 23 (8346 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2005
Posts: 2304

Re: [j_ung] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
j_ung wrote:
I'm going to go report every post in the BET. I'll be back 2022.

Seriously, though, I don't know if this will help make the site a more polite place to hang out, make it explode into rebellion or simply overload the system, but I hope it's the former. I see you've added new moderators, too. Good on ya, and good luck to them.

...or not make any difference at all?

How's it going, DDT?

It's going very well. We've received quite a number of reports, as you can imagine, however fewer than I expected. We've not seen any abuse of the system. Mods have been quick to handle the open report queue, which I've never seen backed up at all.

I think it's too early to say if it is making the site a "more polite place" as you put it, but it's certainly proving to be a helpful tool thus far.

Thanks for asking.

DDT


Arrogant_Bastard


Mar 9, 2011, 8:52 AM
Post #20 of 23 (8337 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 30, 2007
Posts: 19994

Re: [ddt] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ddt wrote:
I think it's too early to say if it is making the site a "more polite place" as you put it, but it's certainly proving to be a helpful tool thus far.

DDT

Fuck'n A man... fuck'n A.


justroberto


Mar 9, 2011, 11:33 AM
Post #21 of 23 (8313 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 21, 2006
Posts: 1876

Re: [ddt] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ddt wrote:
a "more polite place"
DDT
There's already a site for that, and it's kind of lame.


Partner j_ung


Mar 9, 2011, 3:49 PM
Post #22 of 23 (8290 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18689

Re: [ddt] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ddt wrote:
j_ung wrote:
j_ung wrote:
I'm going to go report every post in the BET. I'll be back 2022.

Seriously, though, I don't know if this will help make the site a more polite place to hang out, make it explode into rebellion or simply overload the system, but I hope it's the former. I see you've added new moderators, too. Good on ya, and good luck to them.

...or not make any difference at all?

How's it going, DDT?

It's going very well. We've received quite a number of reports, as you can imagine, however fewer than I expected. We've not seen any abuse of the system. Mods have been quick to handle the open report queue, which I've never seen backed up at all.

I think it's too early to say if it is making the site a "more polite place" as you put it, but it's certainly proving to be a helpful tool thus far.

Thanks for asking.

DDT

Good to hear. From my perspective, It's hard to tell, which is a good thing, I guess, at this stage of the game.


Partner philbox
Moderator

Mar 12, 2011, 6:10 PM
Post #23 of 23 (8233 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 26, 2002
Posts: 13104

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] New Functionality: Report this Post [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
ddt wrote:
I think it's too early to say if it is making the site a "more polite place" as you put it, but it's certainly proving to be a helpful tool thus far.

DDT

Fuck'n A man... fuck'n A.

ddt wasn't talking about you being a helpful tool a_b. Sly


Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Announcements

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook