RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

majid_sabet

Mar 3, 2011, 9:08 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2711 views)
Shortcut

Climber killed after falling rocks cut safety rope
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

A CLIMBER fell 65 feet to his death in a freak accident after falling rocks cut his safety rope as he scaled a Portland cliff, an inquest heard.

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/...cks_cut_safety_rope/

kobaz

Mar 3, 2011, 10:17 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Climber killed after falling rocks cut safety rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
A CLIMBER fell 65 feet to his death in a freak accident after falling rocks cut his safety rope as he scaled a Portland cliff, an inquest heard.

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/...cks_cut_safety_rope/

To add to the discussions earlier about the complaints on these posts -- I don't mind them at all. The majority of your posts are climbing related, or rappelling, or something gear related that would cross over into the climbing world.

I think Majid brings a valuable service to keep us informed of accidents. With the above being the freak accident type, I don't know what those guys could have done differently to have prevented it, but I think it's something we should be aware of anyway.

Edited to add: Condolences to those involved and their families

(This post was edited by kobaz on Mar 3, 2011, 7:06 PM)

Gmburns2000

Mar 3, 2011, 10:26 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kobaz] Climber killed after falling rocks cut safety rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

wow. that's sad. best to his family and friends.

anyone know anything about that area? is it known for choss?

JimTitt

Mar 3, 2011, 11:02 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Climber killed after falling rocks cut safety rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

One of my old stamping grounds as a young lad, at that time the poor relation of next door Swanage. Put up some new routes there in the early 70īs.
By general agreement that fundamentally it was a shit trad crag it was bolted in the 80īs and 90īs and is Britain biggest sport area.
Itīs a limestone sea cliff so can have some loose rock on it, though compared to Swanage it is the solidest piece of rock in the world!

Jim

Gmburns2000

Mar 3, 2011, 11:25 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JimTitt] Climber killed after falling rocks cut safety rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JimTitt wrote:
One of my old stamping grounds as a young lad, at that time the poor relation of next door Swanage. Put up some new routes there in the early 70īs.
By general agreement that fundamentally it was a shit trad crag it was bolted in the 80īs and 90īs and is Britain biggest sport area.
Itīs a limestone sea cliff so can have some loose rock on it, though compared to Swanage it is the solidest piece of rock in the world!

Jim

any idea what the route he was on then and if that area was known to be more chossy than the others?

Just curious how much of a freak accident this was or if he was climbing in a known area for loose rock.

thanks for the response.

JimTitt

Mar 3, 2011, 11:46 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2500 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Climber killed after falling rocks cut safety rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

He was at Blacknor on the west coast which is pretty solid but we are talking about a west facing sea cliff that sticks out into the worst Atlantic storms and the erosion is pretty fierce.
Falling off with large bits of cliff is fairly regular down in Dorset but cutting the rope is rare, though the trad climbers will be on half ropes for this reason. And a lot of sport climbers seem to think sport=safe and that someone nicely cleaned the routes without actually looking at the environment they are in or on.

Jim

Jim

Gmburns2000

Mar 3, 2011, 12:01 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JimTitt] Climber killed after falling rocks cut safety rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JimTitt wrote:
He was at Blacknor on the west coast which is pretty solid but we are talking about a west facing sea cliff that sticks out into the worst Atlantic storms and the erosion is pretty fierce.
Falling off with large bits of cliff is fairly regular down in Dorset but cutting the rope is rare, though the trad climbers will be on half ropes for this reason. And a lot of sport climbers seem to think sport=safe and that someone nicely cleaned the routes without actually looking at the environment they are in or on.

Jim

Jim

Thanks.

I've seen a rope cut by rockfall once, too. It was at the 'Gunks, and I think the route was Strictly From Nowhere (near the top of the first pitch). It was early in the season and my partner and I were walking along the carriage trail when we heard the famous yell and saw through the leafless trees a huge chunk of rock fall to the ground.

We stopped to watch to see if anyone needed help. The leader didn't need it, thankfully, but he was climbing with two ropes and one of his ropes was severed. He was a bit shaken up as he hadn't topped out yet or built his anchor. It was unclear at this point what the condition of his second was in. We asked if they (party of three) needed help with an extra rope, but they were OK enough to continue without us.

It was a scary reminder that even on supposedly solid routes that loose rock is ever present. Shoot, I even saw someone pull a softball sized rock off at Main Cliff at Rumney last year (she was a gumby who grabbed a wonderful rock that I had earlier in the day marked with many x's and damn near said, "hey look, it's marked for me" without saying "rock" afterward Crazy).

Anyway, sorry about what happened here, but wow, it can happen anywhere.

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook