RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

plasticookies

Mar 8, 2011, 8:26 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1098 views)
Shortcut

DIP injruy in toe?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, want to see if anyone has had experience with this/advice. I know I can go to the doctor, but she will most definitely tell me to stop climbing. I have stopped for almost a month and the pain just returns when I start again.

Anyway, it's the distal phalangeal joint in only my middle toe on the left foot that is swollen and painful when walking (a dulll, but persistent pain). I don't think my shoes are too small. In fact, they feel loose some days.

Other than icing and not climbing, what would you guys advise? Could I tape it something when climbing?

(This post was edited by plasticookies on Mar 8, 2011, 8:29 AM)

thawild1

Mar 8, 2011, 10:09 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1079 views)
Shortcut

Re: [plasticookies] DIP injruy in toe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would try taping it and taking some glucosamine/ upping your omega 3 fatty acid intake to lubricate your joints

aerili

Mar 8, 2011, 4:37 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is no reason to believe glucosamine will help you (per the other commenter) since we have no idea if you have a cartilage problem in your toe. Omega 3's could help with inflammation though.

Do you have a diagnosis? DIP injury could mean many things, you know.

Ganglion cyst comes to my mind as a possibility....Is your doc a podiatrist? Why hasn't she tried a cortisone shot in your toe? (I take it b/c you have not gone to see her. Crazy)

If you tried rest for a month, your doc should have something more inventive to say for treatment than "rest more."

Long term joint injuries are not benign--if untreated, they can cause damage that will come back to haunt you later in the form of persistent and long term pain, joint degeneration, etc. You should really go in.

Fat_Fil

Mar 8, 2011, 5:49 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1043 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] DIP injruy in toe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Im in school for physical therapy, the DIP joint is small, and if its been hurting for this long with weighted pressure, chances are you fractured it, or worse. go get an x-ray. if your Dr. says quit climbing til it heals we all know you wont so going to have it looked at wont stop you from doing what you want to do, but it will give you a better idea of what youre dealing with. at least from there you can see how much further damage you will do by not following Dr.s orders. good luck to you.
In reply to:

onceahardman

Mar 8, 2011, 7:01 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck in your PT studies, Fat Fil...

I've been a PT for many years, and Fil and aerili are right. A fracture is not unlikely, and there is no evidence for using glucosamine for this.

Speaking of fracture...lets say you had a broken arm (humerus, for example). You decide to not go to the doctor, but instead to just keep on living life pretty much the same way, and want someone to tell you it's OK to just tape it up, or to tell you something other than, "get it set and casted".

Sounds silly, right?

Fracture is an extreme example of instability. If you keep moving it, it will feel worse. You don't keep unstable injuries moving. You immobilize them until sufficient time has passed for them to become stable. Then you exercise to restore lost ROM and strength.

I have fractured at least two toes. They hurt for a long time. Especially if you keep playing soccer.

or climbing on them.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook