RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

gmggg

Mar 9, 2011, 1:21 PM
Post #1 of 3 (592 views)
Shortcut

New injury... For me at least.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ever heel hook so hard you tore a groin muscle?

Anyone have an idea how to prevent this in the future? I was warmed up including leg and groin stretches.

I generally think of myself as decently flexible but now I'm stuck hobbling around climbing 5.8s and 9s one legged.

Oh, and a word of advice if you do injure yourself it's probably not a good idea to keep climbing like nothing happened. And it's really not a good idea to try the same move that you got injured on multiple times after the injury.

You'd think I'd have learned that after the umpteenth time but...

onceahardman

Mar 9, 2011, 2:56 PM
Post #2 of 3 (552 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] New injury... For me at least. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not that uncommon. I have seen several.

In general, don't stretch so much (even though it feels like you want to). A strained muscle is a torn muscle. Stretching will pull it farther apart. Let it heal (this can take a long time, months rather than weeks or days), then strengthen. Some very gentle dynamic stretching (research) might well be better than traditional static stretching, which is not well supported by scientific literature for injury prevention.

gmggg

Mar 10, 2011, 8:59 AM
Post #3 of 3 (521 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] New injury... For me at least. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
It's not that uncommon. I have seen several.

In general, don't stretch so much (even though it feels like you want to). A strained muscle is a torn muscle. Stretching will pull it farther apart. Let it heal (this can take a long time, months rather than weeks or days), then strengthen. Some very gentle dynamic stretching (research) might well be better than traditional static stretching, which is not well supported by scientific literature for injury prevention.

Thanks for the tips! Although I might have to punch you for saying months vs. weeks. But I can imagine that time scale given the continuing stiffness and pain levels after 5 days.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$26.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook