RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

ryanpfleger

Mar 12, 2011, 3:58 PM
Post #1 of 6 (5370 views)
Shortcut

Recurrent abdominal strain
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have an ab strain that has been a total PITA to get sorted out. Keeps coming back, going on about 3 months. Basically, if I climb at all I am in danger of re-injury. Right now it will heal and I'll be pain free for a week or two then try some very very mild strengthening (like 10 crunches) and the next day I will feel it again. It seems like more of an overuse injury than anything else. When it hurts I try to limit my activity as much as possible, but right, you use your abs for EVERYTHING. Any ideas?

onceahardman

Mar 13, 2011, 3:08 PM
Post #2 of 6 (5324 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryanpfleger] Recurrent abdominal strain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting problem.

Abdominal muscles, being postural muscles, are comprised largely of very fatigue-resistant Type I fibers, and are difficult to subject to "overuse injury".

Instinctively, based on what you've said, I'd immediately suspect a hernia. These sometimes require surgical repair for long term benefit and return to sport.

If you choose to try to manage this yourself, then you really need to back off quite a bit. If 1 month's rest gets you pain free, then wait a second month (two months total rest) then start with, say, 5 crunches, instead of 10 (since you already have learned that 10 is too many). Build up from there, always assessing to make sure you are not getting worse.

Lbrombach

Mar 14, 2011, 12:47 AM
Post #3 of 6 (5311 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Recurrent abdominal strain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup...what he said. The pain will be gone long before you're actually healed. You didn't specify where the pain is..but I suppose it doesn't matter much for over-the-net advice. A visit to the doc for this one is justified (ie: doesn't put you in the "whiny bitch going to the doc for every little thing" category) if thats an option for you.

dindolino32

Mar 14, 2011, 4:20 AM
Post #4 of 6 (5294 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

did u get it checked for a hernia? Abdominal hernia to be specific. Those don't heal too well and muscular strains should heal fast enough. I would get it checked out.

michael1245

Mar 14, 2011, 1:10 PM
Post #5 of 6 (5274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Recurrent abdominal strain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
Instinctively, based on what you've said, I'd immediately suspect a hernia. These sometimes require surgical repair for long term benefit and return to sport.

Def see a doctor.

I had a minor hernia when I was 15. Doctor's decided not to do surgery. Had zero problems and remained active and even joined the Army. 8 or 9 years later, post Army career, it came back (russian twists on an decline bench with a 25-pound plate) and I needed corrective surgery.

Don't play around with something like that. You can really mess yourself up. Good luck!

(This post was edited by michael1245 on Mar 14, 2011, 3:47 PM)

saint_john

Mar 14, 2011, 3:39 PM
Post #6 of 6 (5259 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

go see a doctor.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook