Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kovacs69

Mar 18, 2011, 5:11 PM
Post #1 of 41 (27191 views)
Shortcut

Carrying On Climbing Equip.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I have done a search and all I have come up with are old topics. So here it goes.

I am flying to Salt Lake City in June and was wondering how I should pack my stuff. I used to just pack all my stuff in my backpack then stuff it inside a huge duffel bag but I am thinking if the TSA searches it they will never be able to get my gear back into the back pack.

Has anyone carried their climbing equipment on a plane lately and how did it go?
How do you guys pack your gear for airline travel?
What do you carry on the plane with you?

Thanks,

JB

Edited to add:

Epoch, I understand that we have beat this topic to death but not recently. With security changing all of the time I am just looking to get a feel as to how the TSA screeners are currently reacting to climbing gear. Maybe in the future we could have a single thread for this topic at the start of each climbing season where people can post their experiences and then kill the rest.

(This post was edited by kovacs69 on Mar 18, 2011, 6:00 PM)

Arrogant_Bastard

Mar 18, 2011, 5:16 PM
Post #2 of 41 (27177 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kovacs69] Carrying On Climbing Equip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I saw something in the news the other day about a guy they detained because he tried to sneak a couple biners through.

spikeddem

Mar 18, 2011, 5:22 PM
Post #3 of 41 (27157 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

kovacs69 wrote:
So I have done a search and all I have come up with are old topics. So here it goes.

I am flying to Salt Lake City in June and was wondering how I should pack my stuff. I used to just pack all my stuff in my backpack then stuff it inside a huge duffel bag but I am thinking if the TSA searches it they will never be able to get my gear back into the back pack.

Has anyone carried their climbing equipment on a plane lately and how did it go?

Thanks,

JB
You finding only old topics relates to the fact that it is an old topic.

Regardless, I've flown with triples up to #3. At the #4 size I decided to check. Checked the rope too. Checked the chalk bag, but not the shoes (think about what you REALLY would not want to be without if it gets lost). Included a torn out gear advertisement from a climbing magazine next to the carry-on trad gear.

I don't really pack it any differently . . .

I don't know if they've even ever sent it through the machine twice, nor have I ever had to explain the gear. That being said, I'm a 22 year-old white male.

kovacs69

Mar 18, 2011, 5:29 PM
Post #4 of 41 (27144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Carrying On Climbing Equip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
You finding only old topics relates to the fact that it is an old topic.

Regardless, I've flown with triples up to #3. At the #4 size I decided to check. Checked the rope too. Checked the chalk bag, but not the shoes (think about what you REALLY would not want to be without if it gets lost). Included a torn out gear advertisement from a climbing magazine next to the carry-on trad gear.

I don't really pack it any differently . . .

I don't know if they've even ever sent it through the machine twice, nor have I ever had to explain the gear. That being said, I'm a 22 year-old white male.

In this ever-changing world of air travel and airport security how can this be an "old topic"? The rules can and do change everyday. I was just trying to get a feel how thing have been recently not how they were in 2002. That said thanks for your input on what you check and what you carry-on. I am not quite sure about the "22 year-old white male" comment...were you looking for a date?

JB

Dip

Mar 18, 2011, 5:37 PM
Post #5 of 41 (27128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just flew from BWI to Vegas a week ago. Between my buddy and me we carried on 2 ropes, a full rack up to a BD C4 #6, harnesses, biners, atc's, etc. We checked our nut tools becuase i read somewhere you aren't allowed to take them on the plane.

We walked right through TSA without them even asking to look in our bags. I was amazed.

lena_chita

Mar 18, 2011, 5:38 PM
Post #6 of 41 (27122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, I've had climbing equipment in a carry-on (most recently in November of 2010) and it was not a problem. Sometimes I was asked to take things out for inspection, after X-ray machine. Sometimes not. I was never harrassed or told that i couldn't bring the items on the plane. (keeping my fingers crossed and hoping the trend continues) Most of the time they have swabbed the pack, maybe because all that chalk dust looks suspicious, but that's about it.

I use a daypack as my carry-on. It has a laptop sleeve near the back, and enough room for all gear, including a small set of cams, though not enough room for ropes. Some of the times I have attached a rope bag to my pack, putting it under flap, and I was not challeneged that this constituted two pieces of luggage.

I usually feel O.K. about checking it in on the flight back from a trip, but I would reay hate to lose a day or two because the handlers messed up the luggage and it ended up elsewhere.

Dip

Mar 18, 2011, 5:41 PM
Post #7 of 41 (27119 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Carrying On Climbing Equip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I usually feel O.K. about checking it in on the flight back from a trip, but I would reay hate to lose a day or two because the handlers messed up the luggage and it ended up elsewhere

+1

They haven't lost anything of mine yet, but i'm sure not willing to risk it on the way to my destination.

olderic

Mar 18, 2011, 5:43 PM
Post #8 of 41 (27113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He's tying to give you a hint about something called "profiling" - research that. The bottom line is that you can get all the anecdotal evidence from everyone who has ever carried/checked any climbing gear, you can call the airlines, you can call the TSA - and none of it is worth jack. It boils down to what happens between you and the screener.

Now the logical thing to do is carry on your vitals - shoes =#1, harness (without any thing clipped to it) = #2 etc. Check the obvious no-no's - knifes, nut tools and also the low price but suspicious items - chalk and maybe biners. cams - tough call.

Before 9/11 I carried on pretty much everything (an old friend had an ice ax taken away when he tried to carry it on - but it was politely handed back upon exit - that was ~1980). Since 9/11 I have anciently carried through a knife a few times but check that when I remember. Usually I carry just shoes and a harness although I have carried a rope more then a handful of times.

In general these threads are worthless because the responses you get are inconsistent and statistically meaningless (clue for Jay to rant).

kachoong

Mar 18, 2011, 5:48 PM
Post #9 of 41 (27102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you see there's a sticky about this topic right above your thread?

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...rum.cgi?post=2031753

kovacs69

Mar 18, 2011, 5:51 PM
Post #10 of 41 (27091 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Carrying On Climbing Equip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahhh...."light bulb turns on" now I get the "22 year-old white male" comment. Makes perfect sense.

I would have to disagree with the worthless aspect. Most of the information no matter how inconsistent still gives me some idea of the mentality encountered when carrying on climbing gear. It will be considered when I pack for the trip so it does have some worth to me.

Currently I am thinking I am going to carry on my harness, shoes, chalk bag, rope and a set of quick draws. Then I can still climb if the airline loses my bag.

JB

KeitaroHoshi

Mar 18, 2011, 5:56 PM
Post #11 of 41 (27077 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Carrying On Climbing Equip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have only riden in an air plain once and that was to houston. I only had one surplus duffel bag. It was full of caribiners and clothes and a harness.
They passed the bag thru the Xray and handed it to me no problem. I carryed the bag on. No problem.

kovacs69

Mar 18, 2011, 6:14 PM
Post #13 of 41 (27045 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Carrying On Climbing Equip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
Did you see there's a sticky about this topic right above your thread?

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...rum.cgi?post=2031753

I did see it but unfortunately most of the info inside the sticky is out of date. I do not see why he would lock a thread on a popular subject. It is discussed often because it is an ever-changing subject. Also, why lock a thread that does not violate any of the forum rules. Is it just because he is tired of hearing about it? He doesn't have to read the thread if he doesn't want to. But hey...if someone wants to lock the thread or trash the thread then do so...I already have my answer.

JB

Partner epoch

Mar 18, 2011, 6:17 PM
Post #14 of 41 (27042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kovacs69 wrote:

Thanks,

JB

Edited to add:

Epoch, I understand that we have beat this topic to death but not recently. With security changing all of the time I am just looking to get a feel as to how the TSA screeners are currently reacting to climbing gear. Maybe in the future we could have a single thread for this topic at the start of each climbing season where people can post their experiences and then kill the rest.

I just re-read the TSA page for you, and the regulations are still the same. If you're worried about what to pack it in, may I suggest a rope-bag for easy removal or go to the Army/Navy surplus store and grab one of these:

I travel often for work and if I'm going to be doing any amount of climbing, I usually throw my stuff in a small stuff sack and throw it in with my rolling carry-on. I can do two weeks on the road with business crap and climbing crap with nothing but carry-ons.

I've checked my gear/ropes with no issue as well as carried them on.

Granted, issue may be with the individual TSA inspector, but it is up to you to know the rules and stand your ground. 95% of the time, they don't bat an eye at climbing gear.

I am going to see where this thread goes, but know that not much has changed as to the specifics of what you can bring aboard a plane in the passenger compartment. The only recent change is how personable the TSA agents are towards your person now. May I suggest you bring a cigarette or two for your post-screening pleasure. Tongue

rtwilli4

Mar 18, 2011, 6:21 PM
Post #15 of 41 (27038 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Generally I think you can fly w/ trad gear, draws, harness but sometimes cordelettes and ropes are not allowed. They might make a fuss about larger cams, hexes and tri-cams but the hand and finger sized stuff should be fine.

In my experience it's different every time you fly. I've taken a rope carry on, and I've been told it had to be checked. Same thing w/ trad gear, harnesses, etc. I've also gone through security with 3 full carry on bags and no one said a word... then on the return flight I was told I could only have one (not one plus a "personal bag" but ONE).

Google about general security at the specific airports you're going through, as well as specific airlines. Remember that when it comes to what you're allowed to take on the plane, it's the airport's decision, not the airline, so don't put too much faith into anything that the airline tells you online or at the counter. It also depends on how many other climbers take through gear on a regular basis. Denver's airport probably sees more climbing gear than Chicago's.

Best to just be flexible, get there super early, and have an idea of how much weight you might have to swap in or out of your checked bag if they say you can't carry stuff on the plane. Sometimes I ask the person at the check in counter if they can hold my bag for 10 or 15 minutes just in case I have to come back and put more stuff in it. Otherwise you're bag will be gone and you'll have to pay for a second bag. Sometimes they say yes and sometimes they say no.

Everything will probably be fine and you can drink a bloody mary before you get on the plane.

kovacs69

Mar 18, 2011, 6:24 PM
Post #16 of 41 (27030 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Carrying On Climbing Equip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
I am going to see where this thread goes, but know that not much has changed as to the specifics of what you can bring aboard a plane in the passenger compartment. The only recent change is how personable the TSA agents are towards your person now. May I suggest you bring a cigarette or two for your post-screening pleasure. Tongue

Thank you...and I will pack a cig although I plan on getting the extra dose of radiation instead of the colonospy.

JB

ENARE

Mar 18, 2011, 6:29 PM
Post #17 of 41 (27021 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Carrying On Climbing Equip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
I saw something in the news the other day about a guy they detained because he tried to sneak a couple biners through.

*You mispelled Beaners

kovacs69

Mar 18, 2011, 6:32 PM
Post #18 of 41 (27018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a side note I was wondering how people pack their checked climbing gear. As I said I usually just put it in a duffel bag but usually feel weary about it because airlines are known to beat checked luggage to hell...queue the American Tourister gorilla commercial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=749iU2Zv1kw

My climbing partner duffel bags his, puts it in a ice chest and duct tapes it shut. I don't like this idea but it is how he gets around buying an ice cheat when he flies.

How do you guys pack you checked climbing gear?

JB

(This post was edited by kovacs69 on Mar 18, 2011, 6:33 PM)

Partner epoch

Mar 18, 2011, 6:39 PM
Post #20 of 41 (27006 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kovacs69 wrote:
epoch wrote:

Thank you...and I will pack a cig although I plan on getting the extra dose of radiation instead of the colonospy.

JB

May I suggest the testicle-tickle. Much more memorable than the radiation machine - lord knows we're getting more than enough already - plus if you're nice they give you a lollypop!

Partner epoch

Mar 18, 2011, 6:41 PM
Post #21 of 41 (26998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kovacs69 wrote:
As a side note I was wondering how people pack their checked climbing gear. As I said I usually just put it in a duffel bag but usually feel weary about it because airlines are known to beat checked luggage to hell...queue the American Tourister gorilla commercial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=749iU2Zv1kw

My climbing partner duffel bags his, puts it in a ice chest and duct tapes it shut. I don't like this idea but it is how he gets around buying an ice cheat when he flies.

How do you guys pack you checked climbing gear?

JB

Usually if it's getting checked, it's in the haulbag/backpack/or buried deep within the recesses of my large roller. I'm not too afraid of someone throwing it around. Much less abuse than I give it; and heaven forbid it gets a scratch....

kovacs69

Mar 18, 2011, 7:07 PM
Post #22 of 41 (26970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Carrying On Climbing Equip. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Usually if it's getting checked, it's in the haulbag/backpack/or buried deep within the recesses of my large roller. I'm not too afraid of someone throwing it around. Much less abuse than I give it; and heaven forbid it gets a scratch....

I am more worried about some airline employee tossing it off the plane to the tarmac or heaven forbid they spray it with jet fuel...that happened to my best friend's luggage on a work trip a few years back. Everything was totally soaked with jet fuel and the airline tried to deny it happened even though we watched it from the plane.

JB

spikeddem

Mar 18, 2011, 7:13 PM
Post #23 of 41 (26966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kovacs69 wrote:
In reply to:

I am more worried about some airline employee tossing it off the plane to the tarmac or heaven forbid they spray it with jet fuel...that happened to my best friend's luggage on a work trip a few years back. Everything was totally soaked with jet fuel and the airline tried to deny it happened even though we watched it from the plane.

JB
Totally a realistic concern.

kovacs69

Mar 18, 2011, 7:23 PM
Post #24 of 41 (26950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
kovacs69 wrote:
In reply to:

JB
Totally a realistic concern.

Yea and to top it all off they made us haul away his jet fuel soaked suitcase. They said if he left it they would declare it abandoned and not pay him for it. We had to drag it through the airport, car rental and drive with it in the car to find a dumpster to trash it.

JB

KeitaroHoshi

Mar 18, 2011, 7:25 PM
Post #25 of 41 (26944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was once on a bus greyhound. I was going to califorina and I decided that I did not want to go that far. I went to claim my bag with my ID and my baggage claim ticket. They would not let me have my bag. I was told "get the fuck away from me white boy." I went get security and then all these black people nearly started a brawl with me and the security. I got on the next bus and when I got to san antiono I told them what happened and they(one mexican security) stopped all the busses to find my bag. He made sure I was on the same bus with my bag. I went on to elpaso/hueco. The security in san antiono told me he was sorry that happened to me in houston and that he hopes I have a good time in elpaso.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook