Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing shop at Red River Gorge?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

 


pyrfordpaul


Mar 28, 2011, 2:29 AM
Post #1 of 10 (3823 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2010
Posts: 25

Climbing shop at Red River Gorge?  (North_America: United_States: Kentucky: East: Red_River_Gorge__Climbing_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I will be flying out from the UK in 10 days to begin a 4 month climbing trip in north america.

I need to buy new climbing shoes, a tent, and more. Also, as gear is so much cheaper in the states, and I'm not I could fit it all on the plane, I probably wont bring rope or draws either. I'd like to buy equipment in kentucky.

Are there any climbing shops in the area? Am I likely to find climbing partners OK if I only have shoes, harness, atc and some 'biners? I'll be arriving around the 10th April and looking for partners / buddies. I lead sport 5.10b comfortably.

Thanks in advance for any help.


rtwilli4


Mar 28, 2011, 3:21 AM
Post #2 of 10 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 14, 2008
Posts: 1867

Re: [pyrfordpaul] Climbing shop at Red River Gorge? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Miguel's for gear and partners. I don't know if they have tents but they do have everything else. There is a Walmart near Slade that has tents, stove, everything camping.

You'll be much better off finding partners if you have a rope and draws. It probably won't be a problem at the Red but where else are you going?

Ropes and shoes aren't really cheaper in the US unless you get them discounted online. I've lived at Miguel's and I now live in London and prices aren't that different once you convert GBP to USD. 5.10 has just gotten more expensive in the UK for some reason, but a lot of shoe companies and most ropes that I see are reasonable in the UK. It's draws and trad gear that's expensive.


yodadave


Mar 28, 2011, 4:15 AM
Post #3 of 10 (3803 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 10, 2008
Posts: 510

Re: [pyrfordpaul] Climbing shop at Red River Gorge? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As a Brit living in the US I'd say buy yourself a Tendon in the UK and some decent Italian leather then buy at Miguels or check the US websites and find somewhere to ship the stuff to.

I still buy my ropes in the UK and some shoes


jbro_135


Mar 28, 2011, 5:49 AM
Post #4 of 10 (3774 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2009
Posts: 662

Re: [yodadave] Climbing shop at Red River Gorge? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am curious about this too. I want to ship some shoes to myself while I'm at the red, since america is the land of sweet sales. Would miguel's be cool with receiving a package for me? i'm assuming no since they sell climbing gear. How does delivering to a post office work in the states? what are my options here?


lena_chita
Moderator

Mar 30, 2011, 5:44 PM
Post #5 of 10 (3698 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5812

Re: [pyrfordpaul] Climbing shop at Red River Gorge? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Where are you flying to? Miguel's has basic climbing gear-- you will be able to buy shoes, harness, quickdraws, etc. But they do not have tents, sleeping bags, pads, etc.

Lexington has a gear store that carries camping gear, and most big cities do too (e.i. if you are flying into NY, Chicago, etc.)

Finding partners at Miguel's is generally not a problem, I've done it, but it might be a slow going the first couple days, until you get to know people. You can also show up at a popular crag that has routes in your grade level, and ask people there to belay you. Most people won't say no. I've seen that happen in places like Roadside or Muir Valley. Of course, the biggest issue is going to be trusting the people who just wanked up to to belay you safely...



Re: ordering gear online to be shipped to Miguel's, you better ask the people at Miguel's directly, to make sure that they are O.K. with this sort of thing. (Go to redriverclimbing.com and PM "local", see what he says)


MS1


Mar 30, 2011, 7:25 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3649 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 24, 2009
Posts: 560

Re: [lena_chita] Climbing shop at Red River Gorge? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Where are you flying to? Miguel's has basic climbing gear-- you will be able to buy shoes, harness, quickdraws, etc. But they do not have tents, sleeping bags, pads, etc.

Lexington has a gear store that carries camping gear, and most big cities do too (e.i. if you are flying into NY, Chicago, etc.)

Finding partners at Miguel's is generally not a problem, I've done it, but it might be a slow going the first couple days, until you get to know people. You can also show up at a popular crag that has routes in your grade level, and ask people there to belay you. Most people won't say no. I've seen that happen in places like Roadside or Muir Valley. Of course, the biggest issue is going to be trusting the people who just wanked up to to belay you safely...



Re: ordering gear online to be shipped to Miguel's, you better ask the people at Miguel's directly, to make sure that they are O.K. with this sort of thing. (Go to redriverclimbing.com and PM "local", see what he says)

This gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "You're the man, I'm the hand."


lena_chita
Moderator

Mar 31, 2011, 8:42 AM
Post #7 of 10 (3612 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5812

Re: [MS1] Climbing shop at Red River Gorge? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
Where are you flying to? Miguel's has basic climbing gear-- you will be able to buy shoes, harness, quickdraws, etc. But they do not have tents, sleeping bags, pads, etc.

Lexington has a gear store that carries camping gear, and most big cities do too (e.i. if you are flying into NY, Chicago, etc.)

Finding partners at Miguel's is generally not a problem, I've done it, but it might be a slow going the first couple days, until you get to know people. You can also show up at a popular crag that has routes in your grade level, and ask people there to belay you. Most people won't say no. I've seen that happen in places like Roadside or Muir Valley. Of course, the biggest issue is going to be trusting the people who just wanked up to to belay you safely...



Re: ordering gear online to be shipped to Miguel's, you better ask the people at Miguel's directly, to make sure that they are O.K. with this sort of thing. (Go to redriverclimbing.com and PM "local", see what he says)

This gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "You're the man, I'm the hand."

You got me there!


rtwilli4


Mar 31, 2011, 10:30 AM
Post #8 of 10 (3581 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 14, 2008
Posts: 1867

Re: [pyrfordpaul] Climbing shop at Red River Gorge? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There is a post office down the road from Miguel's that accepts packages general delivery. Wish I had an address for you... but maybe if you email someone in Slade or Stanton they can tell you.


pdpcardsfan


Mar 31, 2011, 10:57 AM
Post #9 of 10 (3577 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 6, 2009
Posts: 74

Re: [jbro_135] Climbing shop at Red River Gorge? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

what about if you ship it using UPS and have UPS hold it at one of their UPS stores. Just an idea...


USnavy


Apr 1, 2011, 9:04 PM
Post #10 of 10 (3519 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 5, 2007
Posts: 2664

Re: [pdpcardsfan] Climbing shop at Red River Gorge? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

pdpcardsfan wrote:
what about if you ship it using UPS and have UPS hold it at one of their UPS stores.
They dont normally do that. The UPS store is not controlled by UPS, they are independently owned and operated; they are not required to accept packages for hold. However UPS distribution centers can and will accept packages.


Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook