Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

michael1245

Dec 10, 2010, 2:15 PM
Post #101 of 132 (14693 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Why do you climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I turned 31, and was like "I need mountains to climb". I said it figuratively but decided to take it literally.

Also, you can only watch so much TV in your free time...get up, get out!

And, my wife is pushing to have kids in another year or so. I realize that it's not a death sentence, but it has put me on notice to take on as many challenges and adventures I can find.

I'm afraid of heights, so for me I get more thrill out of it than someone who isn't.

I enjoy it!

ClimbSoHigh

Dec 10, 2010, 7:23 PM
Post #102 of 132 (14683 views)
Shortcut

Re: [michael1245] Why do you climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm afraid of heights, so for me I get more thrill out of it than someone who isn't.

I hear that. At one point in life, TR on a 50 foot cliff was even heady to me! But I love it since I get the same adrenaline cleaning a pitch as other people I know only get running out mank (which generally scares me more than my buddy). I get the same rush they do, with out the broken bones if I do happen to fall. On the ropeless side of life though, it's kinda funny I feel at home topping out a 15 foot V5 over a sketchy anklebreaking landing, but still shit myself sewing up a 5.3G at a few hunderd feet.

Colinhoglund

Dec 10, 2010, 11:27 PM
Post #103 of 132 (14671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Hammertoes] Why do you climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe the mountains were made for me to climb them.

But the rest of life is also important, I do not live to climb. Which is why I wear a helmet, which is why I lived past October 10, 2010, when I got hit in the head/shoulder by some good sized choss.

spikeddem

Dec 14, 2010, 6:11 PM
Post #104 of 132 (14631 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Colinhoglund] Why do you climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Colinhoglund wrote:

Are you willing to share?

Colinhoglund

Dec 14, 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #105 of 132 (14621 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Why do you climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
Colinhoglund wrote:

Are you willing to share?

Lets just say that it's not a coincidence that there are rocks, and people that like to climb them. Just like there are oceans and people that like to sail etc. We were all born with a need to interact with nature in some way.

l3uddy789

Jan 25, 2011, 1:29 AM
Post #106 of 132 (14537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb so when I finish a climb my frat brothers can slap my ass! (sarcasm)
I climb for myself and the feeling i get after accomplishing something I at one point was way out of my skill level.

enigma

Jan 26, 2011, 7:50 AM
Post #107 of 132 (14525 views)
Shortcut

Re: [l3uddy789] Why do you climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb because its better than sitting in front of a computer on a climbing site making believe I'm climbing. Of course you do get more bruises, sore muscles, and feeling great as well,

airscape

Jan 26, 2011, 8:03 AM
Post #108 of 132 (14522 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Why do you climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't understand, let alone not understand.

cmagee1

Jan 27, 2011, 6:00 AM
Post #109 of 132 (14490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airscape] Why do you climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I climb because life is a bitch. Im a High School student, every day I go to school and get ground into the rug by the system and all its faults. I climb because high school chicks are bitches and the guys arent much better. I climb because I can try to relate to those around me, but itll never work cuz I know someday I will die on a cliff hundreds of miles away and they wont care. I climb because everything can go to shit and the rock will still be there.

spikeddem

Jan 27, 2011, 3:27 PM
Post #110 of 132 (14476 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cmagee1] Why do you climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cmagee1 wrote:
I climb because life is a bitch. Im a High School student, every day I go to school and get ground into the rug by the system and all its faults.
wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wahhhhhhhhhhhh

erisspirit

Jan 27, 2011, 5:52 PM
Post #111 of 132 (14471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb because I love the challenge, love the outdoors, I love that it is a very individual sport (the only one upset with me when I don't do as well as I could is me). I love how delicate moves can be, and how burly they can be. Some of the people I have met along the way have been incredibly interesting and inspiring.

cmagee1

Jan 28, 2011, 8:02 PM
Post #112 of 132 (14447 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
cmagee1 wrote:
I climb because life is a bitch. Im a High School student, every day I go to school and get ground into the rug by the system and all its faults.
wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wahhhhhhhhhhhh

we all gotta bitch about something.

rangerrob

Feb 28, 2011, 8:31 PM
Post #113 of 132 (14178 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cmagee1] Why do you climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow that sounds like some serious teen angst! remember when life was so simple?? If you think life is going to be simpler when you're out of high school, you're in for a rude awakening my friend. Learn to appreciate life now.

RR

enigma

Mar 1, 2011, 9:05 AM
Post #114 of 132 (14159 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Why do you climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
Wow that sounds like some serious teen angst! remember when life was so simple?? If you think life is going to be simpler when you're out of high school, you're in for a rude awakening my friend. Learn to appreciate life now.

RR

So true! wish I was still in high school it was so much fun.

airscape

Mar 1, 2011, 9:45 AM
Post #115 of 132 (14153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
rangerrob wrote:

RR

I'd rather have an your name without a G than go back to school again.

enigma

Mar 1, 2011, 10:42 AM
Post #116 of 132 (14146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
enigma wrote:
rangerrob wrote:

RR

I went to an Music and Art High School in New York like the Fame H.S for gifted artists. We had 5 periods of art, we painted, we did photography, arc welding, sculpture, wrote creative stories, science, math, language , drawing, silk-screening, fashion design. poetry, dance, music, . We had so much fun even though we had to go earlier and stay later. We all were tested only 10 percent got in . We all had the same qualifications and intelligence tests, portfolios. and interviews. It was very cool,
We would all go to concerts , get the best seats at madison square garden, It was free , so if you got into a gifted high school you didn't have to pay.

Do you go to college now? What are you studying? What is your career path? I can be a quasi career counselor , I'll try Happy now?

airscape

Mar 1, 2011, 11:33 AM
Post #117 of 132 (14139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
airscape wrote:
enigma wrote:
rangerrob wrote:

RR

I went to an Music and Art High School in New York like the Fame H.S for gifted artists. We had 5 periods of art, we painted, we did photography, arc welding, sculpture, wrote creative stories, science, math, language , drawing, silk-screening, fashion design. poetry, dance, music, . We had so much fun even though we had to go earlier and stay later. We all were tested only 10 percent got in . We all had the same qualifications and intelligence tests, portfolios. and interviews. It was very cool,
We would all go to concerts , get the best seats at madison square garden, It was free , so if you got into a gifted high school you didn't have to pay.

Do you go to college now? What are you studying? What is your career path? I can be a quasi career counselor , I'll try Happy now?

I'm 62.

*wheeze*

No, not really, but I'm more than half way there.
I make stuff for a living.

Any stuff.

Except plastic stuff and wood stuff.

stuff from metal.

steel even..

enigma

Mar 4, 2011, 10:33 AM
Post #118 of 132 (14070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
enigma wrote:
airscape wrote:
enigma wrote:
rangerrob wrote:

RR

I'm 62.

*wheeze*

No, not really, but I'm more than half way there.
I make stuff for a living.

Any stuff.

Except plastic stuff and wood stuff.

stuff from metal.

steel even..

Do you make sculpture? Show me a picture please.

How is South Africa? Is there alot of violence where you live? I don't like upheavals or riots. Tell me the skinny. Tongue

cacalderon

Mar 5, 2011, 2:35 AM
Post #119 of 132 (14041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

escape from reality

LindaN

Mar 30, 2011, 10:49 AM
Post #120 of 132 (13789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb because it makes me feel good. And probably it makes me feel good because there is something to reach. It's kind of a "the way is the goal" thing.

And if it's necessary (like outdoors) why shouldn't you wear a helmet? If you want to die or get seriously injured you can arrange that a lot easier. It's irresponsible. I have people I care for and who care for me - so - I am not having any kind of "laugh at the possibility of death need" or anything stupid like that.

ClimbSoHigh

Mar 31, 2011, 7:45 PM
Post #121 of 132 (13755 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LindaN] Why do you climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the helmet thing should have it's own thread, which it probably already does, but I'm too lazy to find it. If you don't wear a helmet because you like to "laugh at the possibilty of death", why waste time bringing a rope and placing pro? It's not much effort to bring and wear a helmet, and it significantly increased safety while climbing. I would assume you must free solo everything, since placing pro and clipping a rope to it takes time all it does in increase your safety. If you use a rope, sounds like someone might be affraid of death by gravity.

People who climb so they can "laugh at death" tend to be sketchy partners. I don't think many climbers would want their partner to be indifferent to being dead by the end of the day. But since you must free solo everything helmetless, you don't have to worry about ever finding/keeping a partner.

There are many reasons why people don't wear helmets, so they can laugh at the possibility of death just seems to be a silly one. Most likely you are really laughing at the possibility of a TBI Unsure

If you have ever seen someone get blasted from 100' by a locker, you might understand why I wear a helmet.

psecody

May 7, 2011, 6:45 PM
Post #122 of 132 (13354 views)
Shortcut

Why do you climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't wear a helmet, mainly because I don't have one and I have a lot of other stuff I have to spend my money on but since I'm only TRing, bouldering, and sport climbing here in Texas the routes aren't long or all that sketchy (that I've climbed) so right now I think I'm ok with not having a helmet and having some other new gear instead.

The other part of the question why do I climb is harder to answer. I think the climbing community is really awesome, the dynamic between climbers is different from what I see in other sports. Like at CCS and ABS comps for example, my friend regularly places in the top 3 at CCS and usually the others in the top three are the same as well. Instead of being competitive about it what I've noticed is they all hang out with each other and climb together at the comps, what other sport is that cool where you make really good friends from all over the place.

The other thing I like is that everyone is so supportive on climbs even if they're way better than you. This past weekend we went to Reimer's and I started climbing Liposuction which I felt like I could probably do if I'd been regularly climbing all year but it was late in the evening and I was burned out and scared to death of the start but I started it anyway. about two moves in I wasn't feeling like I could finish it because of my forearms but I just hear people I didn't even know watching and yelling encouragement from the ground and it kept me going farther and even though I didn't make it to the top when I got down I got a lot of congratulations by people who had made that route look like a cake walk for them, it was just a really good feeling to me.

The sport also just seems more friendly to new people as well, I remember me and my friends first time outside at mineral wells, we went to set up the top rope anchor only to find that we didn't bring enough webbing but there was a guy climbing that loaned us some webbing and made sure we set it up right (though we'd read a ton of info and talked to people before we even headed out there about proper anchor setup) but it was really eye opening that other climbers cared about the safety of some newbies like us (though now in retrospect he probably just didn't want us to get hurt then the park close down the climbing but I like to look at it the other way haha.)

I love being outside and pushing myself to do things I never would do normally, thats why I even attempted liposuction knowing it was a little above my level. The camaraderie and being outdoors is just a irreplaceable feeling to me, plus who could forget any of the awesome after climb camping nights that go with all that just sitting by the campfire and enjoying life.

(This post was edited by psecody on May 7, 2011, 6:49 PM)

shortman

Jul 22, 2011, 10:16 AM
Post #123 of 132 (12934 views)
Shortcut

Re: [psecody] Why do you climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb because it is an end unto itself. It's hard not to be in the moment. It's physical, it's exciting, it's difficult and rewarding.

cogmog

Oct 26, 2011, 6:05 PM
Post #124 of 132 (12599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because it is my "high". Stimulates dopamine ad seratonin production. Helps with depression, anxiety and is overall a very healthy thing to do. I am healthier now at 40 than I was when I was 19. I can do a one arm and win bets at parties, while most others are abdominly obese and stoned. It helps me stay focused in life. Its something I can do with my wife that we are both pationate about. Its something I can do with my future son/daughter. I can put a cool "Petzl" sticker on the back of my Toyota and not be a pozer! :) It allows for travel to really cool places and to meat other people who are generally down to earth and very healthy. Compared to bars where "other" sports meet. The Crags and campsite pints are far more enjoyable. Need I say anymore... I could go on and on! Cool

damienclimber

Oct 26, 2011, 8:54 PM
Post #125 of 132 (12575 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cogmog] Why do you climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cogmog wrote:
Because it is my "high". Stimulates dopamine ad seratonin production. Helps with depression, anxiety and is overall a very healthy thing to do. I am healthier now at 40 than I was when I was 19. I can do a one arm and win bets at parties, while most others are abdominly obese and stoned. It helps me stay focused in life. Its something I can do with my wife that we are both pationate about. Its something I can do with my future son/daughter. I can put a cool "Petzl" sticker on the back of my Toyota and not be a pozer! :) It allows for travel to really cool places and to meat other people who are generally down to earth and very healthy. Compared to bars where "other" sports meet. The Crags and campsite pints are far more enjoyable. Need I say anymore... I could go on and on! Cool

One more thing!
life insurance in case of accidental death of your beloved! Pirate

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook