Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
New to Climbing
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ryanispiper

Apr 8, 2011, 8:14 PM
Post #1 of 9 (6278 views)
Shortcut

New to Climbing  (North_America: United_States: Texas: South_Central_Texas)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I want to learn to climb and would like to learn from somebody who can show me the basics climbing. I have been backpacking and hiking most of my life and have always been interested. I've done a little bit of climbing but all indoors at a gym and it's not for me. I prefer to be outside and having non man made challenge set for myself. So, if anyone is interested in possibly meeting up and teaching me some basic techniques I'd really appreciate it! who knows? Thanks a lot. I live in the Ft. Hood area and would be willing to travel to meet up for a climb. Thanks again!

majid_sabet

Apr 8, 2011, 8:50 PM
Post #2 of 9 (6268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryanispiper] New to Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

backpackers are awesome and they love to share things among each other but climbers are different animals. they try to share knowledge once they see you at their level . if you are way down there, they have tendency to drop rock on your head and trust me, they are all over this site

there they come

kovacs69

Apr 8, 2011, 9:06 PM
Post #3 of 9 (6264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ryanispiper wrote:
I want to learn to climb and would like to learn from somebody who can show me the basics climbing. I have been backpacking and hiking most of my life and have always been interested. I've done a little bit of climbing but all indoors at a gym and it's not for me. I prefer to be outside and having non man made challenge set for myself. So, if anyone is interested in possibly meeting up and teaching me some basic techniques I'd really appreciate it! who knows? Thanks a lot. I live in the Ft. Hood area and would be willing to travel to meet up for a climb. Thanks again!

ryanispiper,

Welcome to the site. Fortunately for you you are close to lots of Texas limestone and not too far from Texas granite. There are some nice ppl on here from the Waco / Austin area that might be willing to help you out. Too bad you are not nearer to Dallas...I would take you up to Oklahoma for some nice sandstone.

Here are a couple of other sites you might want to look at for Texas.

http://www.bloodyflapper.com/main.php

http://www.erockonline.com/

You might want to try the Erockonline forums.
If you can't find anyone closer to you drop me a PM and good luck with your climbing experience.

JB

ryanispiper

Apr 9, 2011, 2:56 AM
Post #4 of 9 (6244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kovacs69] New to Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks I appreciate the feed back. I was at enchanted rock a few weekends ago and saw a few climbers and a school for climbing but to be honest i'm more of a hands on direct learning type of person, and I learn best from individuals vs. semi large groups. Should I just jump in? or take a few classes? I'm willing to travel a little ways if somebody is willing to spend the day with me. Any info is good info thanks a lot!
In reply to:

shockabuku

Apr 9, 2011, 11:09 PM
Post #5 of 9 (6193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you climbed at the gym in Killeen? It's not great but it may be a good place to meet some people to climb with/learn from. If nothing else you can probably get some info on local climbing areas that you may not hear about in less local forums like this one.

Partner jammer

Apr 10, 2011, 4:42 AM
Post #6 of 9 (6162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ryanispiper wrote:
Thanks I appreciate the feed back. I was at enchanted rock a few weekends ago and saw a few climbers and a school for climbing but to be honest i'm more of a hands on direct learning type of person, and I learn best from individuals vs. semi large groups. Should I just jump in? or take a few classes? I'm willing to travel a little ways if somebody is willing to spend the day with me. Any info is good info thanks a lot!
You can pay for a guide to teach you one on one if you can't find anyone to take you out. Just jumping is without knowing how to climb safely is like jumping into a deep lake before you know how to swim.

(This post was edited by jammer on Apr 10, 2011, 4:43 AM)

kevthegerman

Apr 11, 2011, 10:35 PM
Post #7 of 9 (6104 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] New to Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This guy majid_sabet must be a jerk if he has had bad luck with climbers not giving him info.. If anything, for the sake of not losing a crag to some newbie falling to the ground cuz they z-clipped, climbers are all too willing to give beta, tips and tricks... now whethere they will take you to a secret spot if you are a 5.8 climber that is a diff story.. however every climber i have ever met in the field has been more than willing to provide technical data... so be cool and willing to learn and most climbers will give you info.

erisspirit

Apr 11, 2011, 11:08 PM
Post #8 of 9 (6092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have found if you have a good attitude, are willing to take instruction/advice from experienced climbers, and are honest about what you do/do not know you can find people willing to help.

while the gym is not ideal, it can be a good way to meet people who can help you realize your goal of getting outside.

good luck!

potreroed

Apr 12, 2011, 3:26 AM
Post #9 of 9 (6070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As your attorney I would advise you to take an introductory course from http://rock-about.com. They're a great bunch of guys and will have you climbing and meeting other climbers in no time at all. Just be forewarned: Climbing will consume you!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook