RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

Rocknovice

Apr 19, 2011, 12:48 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Heard something pop and now my right butt cheek hurts
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was leading in the gym today. During a move that required a power move to pull up with your heel or toe, I used my heel and felt something pop as I pulled up. I can walk but it hurts and trying to strech makes it hurt even worse. Other than RICE, are there any ideas how to help it recover. What did I pull?

Rocknovice

Apr 19, 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2865 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rocknovice] Heard something pop and now my right butt cheek hurts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

PS "That's what she said"

This is not a troll post, please help.

onceahardman

Apr 19, 2011, 2:24 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rocknovice] Heard something pop and now my right butt cheek hurts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

First thought is hamstring strain.

DO NOT STRETCH.

There is research supporting doing a couple weeks of sidestepping-type activities, but don't do any direct stretching or strengthening.

chilli

Apr 19, 2011, 3:00 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Heard something pop and now my right butt cheek hurts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:

DO NOT STRETCH.

There is research supporting doing a couple weeks of sidestepping-type activities, but don't do any direct stretching or strengthening.

i occasionally get a bit of a hamstring strain (never any 'pops' or anything), with heelhooks bouldering in the gym, and i often stretch it afterward to try to help things out. So this is interesting news for me. i'd like to see some of the primary documents/references regarding not stretching, and for appropriate exercises if you have them available.
thanks!

edited to add quote

(This post was edited by chilli on Apr 19, 2011, 4:06 PM)

onceahardman

Apr 19, 2011, 7:08 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chilli] Heard something pop and now my right butt cheek hurts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chilli wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

DO NOT STRETCH.

i occasionally get a bit of a hamstring strain (never any 'pops' or anything), with heelhooks bouldering in the gym, and i often stretch it afterward to try to help things out. So this is interesting news for me. i'd like to see some of the primary documents/references regarding not stretching, and for appropriate exercises if you have them available.
thanks!

edited to add quote

As a general principle, remember that a strained muscle is a torn muscle, by definition.

Pulling a freshly torn muscle farther apart should be an obvious no-no, even though it kind of "feels like" it should be stretched. (plausibly due to the torn fibers retracting, firing neurons that signal the muscle is short)

It is interesting that you have had this happen several times. In the study below, the "stretching" group was much more likely to reinjure later.

http://www.jospt.org/...2/article_detail.asp

Rocknovice

Apr 20, 2011, 8:27 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2693 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Heard something pop and now my right butt cheek hurts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Can you suggest some progressive agility and core stabilization exercises for me?

dtowler

May 4, 2011, 7:51 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm no doctor but an ACL strain/tear is often accompanied by a popping sound.

chilli

May 4, 2011, 8:12 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info. it's not so much that "it's happened multiple times" as in any sort of popping. just a little strain. i have since stayed away from too much stretching of anything overexerted (which i think is at the heart of the recurrence - i.e. my lack of self control regarding staying off tough problems), and i think there may be something to it :)
anyway, thanks

@dtowler: ACL's do have a nice pop to them, but i can pretty much guarantee that the pain would be a little lower down than a butt cheek

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook