RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

deBrice

Apr 20, 2011, 4:21 PM
Post #1 of 20 (11454 views)
Shortcut

Looking for a multi-pitch Sport route CA or NV
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello,

I've been climbing indoor and outdoor for a little while (2 years). I'm comfortable up to 10A(100% flash), and done some 10B and 10C indoor. Me and my friend are looking for mulit-pitchs sport route around south california and nevada (red rocks).

Do you know any good sport route, would say 5.8 to 5.9 (as it would be our first long multipitch climb) in the area (at least 300' long) ?

Thank you.

(This post was edited by deBrice on Apr 20, 2011, 4:25 PM)

Diphthong

Apr 20, 2011, 4:49 PM
Post #2 of 20 (11440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deBrice] Looking for a multi-pitch Sport route CA or NV [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not a whole lot of decent ones, but there's a few scattered about. Check out El Cajon Mountain in San Diego. Leonids is probably a good choice. Do some research before picking lines as a lot have been chopped.

There's some 2 pitch stuff at Red Rock in Nevada, but not much of a multi pitch experience. I'm sure there's some longer ones here or there.

Skip any of those multi-pitch choss piles at Echo.

jt512

Apr 20, 2011, 6:05 PM
Post #3 of 20 (11404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

deBrice wrote:
Hello,

I've been climbing indoor and outdoor for a little while (2 years). I'm comfortable up to 10A(100% flash), and done some 10B and 10C indoor. Me and my friend are looking for mulit-pitchs sport route around south california and nevada (red rocks).

Do you know any good sport route, would say 5.8 to 5.9 (as it would be our first long multipitch climb) in the area (at least 300' long) ?

Thank you.

I think that your goal is flawed. At least in this region, it probably is not a good idea to do multi-pitch climbing without at least basic trad skills: the ability to place a nut or cam to protect a runout, improvise a rap anchor to bail, ascend a rope, etc.

Maybe it's time to learn trad.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Apr 20, 2011, 6:06 PM)

altelis

Apr 20, 2011, 6:39 PM
Post #4 of 20 (11387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

deBrice wrote:
Hello,

Thank you.

Red Rocks is filled to the brim with multi-pitch sport routes. These routes are AMAZING! Almost every one is fully bolted, no run-outs, with 2-bolt anchors for each pitch. It's great. Really, in my opinion, one of the best places to learn to multi-pitch climb. The approaches are quick and easy to find, even if you spend all your time at road side crags. Descents are a BREEZE: either just rap back down the route with 1 rope or they have walk-downs that are just as easy to find as the approaches. The weather is always really nice without large swings in the temperature between shade & sun. Rarely any wind, always easy to hear your partner from the top of the pitch, and always plenty of daylight.

Diphthong

Apr 20, 2011, 6:52 PM
Post #5 of 20 (11378 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Looking for a multi-pitch Sport route CA or NV [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
Red Rocks is filled to the brim with multi-pitch sport routes. These routes are AMAZING! Almost every one is fully bolted, no run-outs, with 2-bolt anchors for each pitch. It's great. Really, in my opinion, one of the best places to learn to multi-pitch climb.

What Red Rocks are you talking about?

altelis

Apr 20, 2011, 6:54 PM
Post #6 of 20 (11371 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Diphthong] Looking for a multi-pitch Sport route CA or NV [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

The one in NV, outside LV, the one everybody talks about when seeking out multipitch sport...

Why?

Diphthong

Apr 20, 2011, 7:01 PM
Post #7 of 20 (11367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
The one in NV, outside LV, the one everybody talks about when seeking out multipitch sport...

Why?

Oops, my bad. I thought you were talking about a different Red Rocks, then I read the part where you mentioned there not being any wind or big swings in temperature. Yup, that's the Red Rocks I know and love. The one that's practically empty in April.

altelis

Apr 20, 2011, 7:04 PM
Post #8 of 20 (11364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Only April? I've rarely run into anybody there. Campground's usually pretty empty too, only the occasional super chill climber neighbor, sharing campfire and a six-pack, gently strumming their guitar then heading to bed early for an early start the next morning.

csproul

Apr 20, 2011, 7:05 PM
Post #9 of 20 (11364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
deBrice wrote:
Hello,

Thank you.

Red Rocks is filled to the brim with multi-pitch sport routes. These routes are AMAZING! Almost every one is fully bolted, no run-outs, with 2-bolt anchors for each pitch. It's great. Really, in my opinion, one of the best places to learn to multi-pitch climb. The approaches are quick and easy to find, even if you spend all your time at road side crags. Descents are a BREEZE: either just rap back down the route with 1 rope or they have walk-downs that are just as easy to find as the approaches. The weather is always really nice without large swings in the temperature between shade & sun. Rarely any wind, always easy to hear your partner from the top of the pitch, and always plenty of daylight.
Can you name a route at RR that is truly a sport climb in the 5.8-5.9 range as asked for by the OP? The few multipitch "sport" climbs at RR that I have been on, such as Unimpeachable Groping, Prince of Darkness, or Inti Wantana are not routes I would send a person to learn multipitch skills. Granted, I don't live close to there anymore, so I'm not super familiar with the current routes, but I can't think of one that fits the bill for the OP. It is a great place to learn multipitch, so I'm not saying there aren't routes to fit the OP's needs, I just can't think of a route off the top of my head.

Diphthong

Apr 20, 2011, 7:06 PM
Post #10 of 20 (11361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
Only April? I've rarely run into anybody there. Campground's usually pretty empty too, only the occasional super chill climber neighbor, sharing campfire and a six-pack, gently strumming their guitar then heading to bed early for an early start the next morning.

I love that campground. So many great memories.

altelis

Apr 20, 2011, 7:11 PM
Post #11 of 20 (11355 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Looking for a multi-pitch Sport route CA or NV [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Either one or both of us got a bite.

csproul

Apr 20, 2011, 7:11 PM
Post #12 of 20 (11355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Diphthong wrote:
altelis wrote:

I love that campgroundsmelly, dusty, wind blown sand-pit. So many great memories.
fixed that for you.

csproul

Apr 20, 2011, 7:12 PM
Post #13 of 20 (11354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
Either one or both of us got a bite.
Yup, hook, line, and sinkerFrown

altelis

Apr 20, 2011, 7:13 PM
Post #14 of 20 (11350 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Looking for a multi-pitch Sport route CA or NV [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

apparently i'll need to use MORE and BETTER and probably even TOTALLY EXTREMELY MASSIVE amounts of hyperbole and sarcasm. Tongue

potreroed

Apr 20, 2011, 9:12 PM
Post #15 of 20 (11316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Red Rocks is a great place to climb but that campground sucks. Oh, for the good ol' days when Decatur Blvd was the edge of town and you could camp anywhere you wanted.

Diphthong

Apr 20, 2011, 9:15 PM
Post #16 of 20 (11313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Looking for a multi-pitch Sport route CA or NV [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
Red Rocks is a great place to climb but that campground sucks. Oh, for the good ol' days when Decatur Blvd was the edge of town and you could camp anywhere you wanted.

Um excuse me Potrero Ed, but we're talking about great places for multipitch sport climbing... like Red Rocks. I doubt you have much input for the thread with all the time you spend in that little boulder park down in Mexico you climb at.

deBrice

Apr 20, 2011, 10:02 PM
Post #17 of 20 (11297 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you all for your help.

So I guess Red Rocks it is (And nevada is not too far from Los Angeles). I will have to find a nice climb 5.8 to 5.9 to start with. After training this summer, I'll give a shot later this year ;)

jt512

Apr 20, 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #18 of 20 (11293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

deBrice wrote:

So I guess Red Rocks it is (And nevada is not too far from Los Angeles). I will have to find a nice climb 5.8 to 5.9 to start with. After training this summer, I'll give a shot later this year ;)

The people who were recommending RR to you were being sarcastic.

Jay

altelis

Apr 21, 2011, 2:10 AM
Post #19 of 20 (11207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Looking for a multi-pitch Sport route CA or NV [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
deBrice wrote:

The people who were recommending RR to you were being sarcastic.

Jay

I can't speak for everyone, but I was most certainly being sarcastic. Not sure how to be any more sarcastic, honestly.

chris

Apr 21, 2011, 5:18 AM
Post #20 of 20 (11163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This may have been the most entertaining thread I've read on rc.com.

And I agree with Jay. Wow.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook