RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

cgalitsky

Apr 22, 2011, 5:46 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1180 views)
Shortcut

ECU tendon rehab suggestions?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I have been having a problem with my (left, non dominant hand) ECU tendon and the rehab my OT is suggesting seems to be making it worse (repetitive band exercises of ulnar deviation). That is, every time I start to feel no pain, I restart the exercises really gradually as recommended, but then slowly get back to having pain...and then a tweak and soreness for a while.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any success with rehab exercises for this injury and what those were? Seems like I should be strengthening the muscles without stressing the tendon...Over the last few weeks (when not doing the exercises) my pain has been minimal to none, ROM is pretty good (almost equal L to R) and my grip strength is equal both hands, so it seems like I should be able to start exercises and not have them produce pain again.

Thanks!
Christie

(for anyone who saw my last post on KB's disease, I'm still waiting for news. I have another MRI scheduled in a month. no pain around the lunate whatsoever, doctors think it is either very early stage KB or just a bone bruise. fingers crossed wish me luck!).

onceahardman

Apr 23, 2011, 4:30 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1147 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cgalitsky] ECU tendon rehab suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Christie...you really can't stress the muscle without stressing the tendon. They are two parts of the same thing.

If your OT is a CHT, you probably have pretty good eyes looking at it already. How long has she been working with you?

If putting force on ECU only makes it worse, there are ony a few possibilities:

1) reduce the resistance...perhaps even start with AROM.

2) If even AROM is too aggressive, immobilize it for a while, let it calm down, let some scar tissue form. This would be for several weeks.

3) Occasionally, patients respond to strengthening the opposite muscle group. To some, this might be FCU...but consider flexor carpi radialis as well, or just resisted radial deviation. Start very slow. You can always add more exercise, but once you do too much, you can't take it away.

4) A second, probably surgical opinion. Consider a possible TFCC tear.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$7.65 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook