Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Anyone with rotator cuff probs still climbing?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

climber49er

Apr 27, 2011, 8:59 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1633 views)
Shortcut

Anyone with rotator cuff probs still climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Tore my right rotator cuff about 5 years ago while climbing. Never had surgery, continued to climb, but I was very hindered. Haven't really climbed the last three years but am itching to do it again.

Have any of you successfully continued to climb with a torn cuff?

Most motions are fairly pain free except arm straight over the head and I have almost zero lifting strength with arm extended in front, but that almost never seems to come into play with climbing.

I'm just not crazy about possibly making it worse.

singletrackmike

Apr 27, 2011, 10:38 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climber49er] Anyone with rotator cuff probs still climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders. With me it's certain side extensions, and mantles that hurt the most. I've heard from some who've said their ortho-surgeon claimed that surgery was the only repair. But I also know a woman who's son is an ortho-surgeon, and prescribed therapy, and it did the trick
I don't want to get surgery because I feel I'd lose too much ground and wouldn't be able to get back to where I'm at now (I'm 61) - so, I've been careful with my movements, and do a lot of rowing, and that seems to help. Also I'm able to use my hang board and do pull-ups if I warm up and stretch pretty diligently first.
Whatever you decide to do, avoid anything that hurts!

climber49er

Apr 27, 2011, 10:42 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1606 views)
Shortcut

Re: [singletrackmike] Anyone with rotator cuff probs still climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually suspect my left shoulder is tweaked also, I just don't want to admit it.. Smile

Yes, anything like a mantle puts a hurt on it to, I forgot about that. I actually tore the right one with a weird behind the back twisting mantle motion.

My range of motion in both arms is lousy. So do you think some kind of therapy would help me regain some strength / range of motion?

singletrackmike

Apr 27, 2011, 10:52 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd definitly check out therapy. I'm always amazed at how much those therapists know.

climber49er

Apr 29, 2011, 1:27 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Re: [singletrackmike] Anyone with rotator cuff probs still climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks singletrackmike. Anyone else?

onceahardman

Apr 29, 2011, 2:47 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes,

I am a PT, climber, and have rotator cuff problems. I was a recurrent dislocator, which has led to my present arthritic/chronic impingement state. My recurrent dislocations are a major reason for me deciding to pursue this course of study. (Along with knee problems).

I have dislocated while leading trad (AKA the only kind of climbing I knew about), while run out 15 feet or so. Fortunately, I managed to self-reduce the dislocation, and finish the pitch. Sorry for the tangent.

I have not dislocated since I learned how to strengthen my rotator cuff, now over 20 years ago.

Learn how to do these exercises PERFECTLY. Once you know what you are doing, if you are diligent, you will probably be able to manage it by yourself. But you must do the work, and often. Knowing is one thing, but actually DOING CORRECTLY is all that matters.

Do yourself a favor, hire a good PT for 4 weeks of rotator cuff therapy.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$17.95 (10% off)
$22.46 (10% off)
$7.16 (10% off)
$5.85 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook