RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

dcfdrescue2

Apr 28, 2011, 9:16 PM
Post #1 of 7 (6270 views)
Shortcut

Large Diameter Tapcon's
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

First, I am a long time lurker, never a poster. I am not a climber, I am an urban fireman who is also responsible for rope rescue and am always looking for things to help make me better at my job.

Having used expansion bolts with great success for a little while now, I am interested in trying out large diameter Tapcon screws like these:

http://www.itwredhead.com/ldt_prod01.asp

They seem to have very good pullout and shear values as seen here:

http://www.itwredhead.com/ldt_perf1.asp

My rigging area, office building rooftops, are sometimes devoid of any anchors. I am trying to find a way to give myself another option when surrounded by brick and block walls.

While I realize that they are not the first choice for the climbing community, I am curious if anybody would hang on these with the same confidence as they would an expansion anchor in the piece of rock.

Thanks in advance for your help from a grateful noob. If you'd rather, you can e-mail me:

rescue-2@comccast.net.

dugl33

Apr 28, 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #2 of 7 (6248 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dcfdrescue2] Large Diameter Tapcon's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dcfdrescue2 wrote:
First, I am a long time lurker, never a poster. I am not a climber, I am an urban fireman who is also responsible for rope rescue and am always looking for things to help make me better at my job.

Having used expansion bolts with great success for a little while now, I am interested in trying out large diameter Tapcon screws like these:

http://www.itwredhead.com/ldt_prod01.asp

They seem to have very good pullout and shear values as seen here:

http://www.itwredhead.com/ldt_perf1.asp

My rigging area, office building rooftops, are sometimes devoid of any anchors. I am trying to find a way to give myself another option when surrounded by brick and block walls.

While I realize that they are not the first choice for the climbing community, I am curious if anybody would hang on these with the same confidence as they would an expansion anchor in the piece of rock.

Thanks in advance for your help from a grateful noob. If you'd rather, you can e-mail me:

rescue-2@comccast.net.

How would you attach to them? Some of the values in solid concrete look pretty stout, whereas the values in hollow block look very sketchy.

Good anchor install in my experience is largely a matter of understanding the manufacturer spec and following it exactly -- right size and depth pilot hole, brushing and oil-less compressed air cleaning as required, edge distance spacing and anchor to anchor spacing, and tightening to a specified torque (esp not over-torquing)

If you have the funding for it you could always pull test a few to failure and all of them at 50% or some reasonable level.

I would think if you default to the conservative portions of the tables (based on f'c of the concrete, for example) and stay 1/2" by 3-1/2" and up, in solid concrete, with 2 or 3 properly spaced and equalized, that's gonna be bomber for typical climbing loads. Since you say the magic word, "rope rescue" then maybe go yet more conservative 5/8" x 4-1/2" in solid concrete.

But, again, how are you attaching? Home-made hangers?

Just my humble opinion...

verticon

Apr 29, 2011, 12:35 PM
Post #3 of 7 (6187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The spanish hardware manufacturer Fixe sells "screw anchors for speleo and trad climbing", but they recommand it "only for progression"
http://www.fixeclimbing.com/...mp;id_subcategoria=8

dcfdrescue2

Apr 29, 2011, 1:47 PM
Post #4 of 7 (6166 views)
Shortcut

Re: [verticon] Large Diameter Tapcon's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the help guys!

Dugl33

I do have the money and means to do some testing. I'm going to give it a go with with some of the 1/2" screws and see what happens. We have a couple of vacant structures that we have cart blanche with, I'll throw the dyno on and see what happens.

Before I wasted money and time, I wanted to make sure that there was not some glaring deficiency I might be missing that you guys could see. So it looks like I'll give it a go.

I'll post the numbers when I get them, just for gits and shiggles.

Our old method sure won't win us any friends.

(This post was edited by dcfdrescue2 on Apr 29, 2011, 1:56 PM)
Attachments: wall resized.JPG (41.6 KB)

Partner philbox

May 1, 2011, 9:02 PM
Post #5 of 7 (6084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tapcons for life loads are a very very bad idea. They are far too variable. Maybe in specific high grade concretes I could perhaps see some sort of an application but brick, never, block, never, rock never never never. Rock is far too hard for a tapcon to bite into. So I'll say again that tapcons should never be used as an anchor for a life load.

tolman_paul

Aug 24, 2011, 9:20 PM
Post #6 of 7 (5608 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What would be the advantage of using tapcons? I've only used smaller ones for some home remodeling, and am not real keen on them. They are a real PITA to drive into solid concrete.

Hence my thoughts, they are more difficult to place into solid concrete than conventional anchors, damage the substrate in softer concrete, and as mentioned have variable strength. If you go to a larger dia tapcon, then it'll be evern harder to place, and why drill a larger dia than required hole?

dcfdrescue2

Aug 26, 2011, 12:18 AM
Post #7 of 7 (5531 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tolman_paul] Large Diameter Tapcon's [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tolman_paul wrote:
What would be the advantage of using tapcons? I've only used smaller ones for some home remodeling, and am not real keen on them. They are a real PITA to drive into solid concrete.

Hence my thoughts, they are more difficult to place into solid concrete than conventional anchors, damage the substrate in softer concrete, and as mentioned have variable strength. If you go to a larger dia tapcon, then it'll be evern harder to place, and why drill a larger dia than required hole?

I was curious about their use in brick and cinder blocks. While the urban environment can seem like an anchor rich setting, sometimes it can really be a challenge to get an anchor where you need one. Just looking for another tool in the toolbox.

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook