Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Competition Climbing:
training for speed climbing competitions?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

PlasticHead

Mar 19, 2010, 4:53 PM
Post #26 of 38 (9897 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deltav] training for speed climbing competitions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

deltav wrote:
I hope they help. Don't forget, you have to compete in 3 locals in order to qualify for regionals.

yeah, I'm a member of USA climbing and I've already competed in one comp. Theres 3 more before regionals and I will be going to all of them.

younggun

Mar 24, 2010, 7:34 PM
Post #27 of 38 (9863 views)
Shortcut

Re: [PlasticHead] training for speed climbing competitions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The best practice for speed climbing is to practice speed climbing. When practicing, you need to be able to peddle hand then foot type climbing and you also need to be able to dyno 2 handed from move to move. Depending on how the route is set, one way might be faster than the other. At high level competitions, they usually change the sequence so that peddling is faster, then, dyno to dyno to dyno, then back to peddling. The trick is to recognize the sequence so you can execute either technique and change it mid-route as needed. Most important is a fast start, so make sure the first 3 moves are wired to get ahead and rattle your opponent.

usacpnw

May 4, 2010, 11:23 PM
Post #28 of 38 (9631 views)
Shortcut

Re: [younggun] training for speed climbing competitions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just an FYI - They will be using the IFSC Official Speed Holds at SCS Nationals.

keinangst

Aug 11, 2010, 8:19 PM
Post #29 of 38 (9432 views)
Shortcut

Re: [usacpnw] training for speed climbing competitions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This sounds like an anaerobic sprint, so don't both with Versaclimbers, burpees, etc (IMHO).

I assume it's going to be vertical or slightly slabby to focus more on max speed. Either way, your legs are going to do virtually all of the driving, so I'd work plyometric box jumps, tuck jumps (or double-unders with a jumprope), and maybe barbell thrusters (front squat, up to shoulder press in one movement).

And, of course, stairs in a stadium. 2-3 steps at a time, FAST.

Another explosive, anaerobic leg exercise I like is jumping lunges (or scissor lunges). Standing in place, jump from one lunge to the next without taking an interim stance. These should devastate your glutes and train fast-twitch fibers without adding mass.

clim.br

Mar 18, 2011, 6:30 PM
Post #30 of 38 (9071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [PlasticHead] training for speed climbing competitions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote "PlasticHead"´

How about Burpee pullups? I heard those work burst power but I'm sure how that could help with speed climbing.

All you need is a timer, and a pullup bar or something similiar that requires one to jump up and grab in order to do the pullup.

The goal is to do them as quickly as possible. Start off with 20 for example, and record how long it takes to do them.

Start by jumping up and grabbing the bar, do a pullup, drop down, do a pushup, spring back up on your feet and jump up to the bar.
Thats 1 burpee pullup.
20 of them sounds pretty brutal (to me at least).

Just to add, you really need to work on your Type II muscle group, and one way of doing it, is doing reps as fast as you can.

shockabuku

Mar 18, 2011, 7:34 PM
Post #31 of 38 (9063 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clim.br] training for speed climbing competitions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The national finalists in speed climbing for youth B and above are almost guaranteed to be those who spend time training on the standard speed route. It uses unique holds

in a (semi-) standard arrangement at a fixed angle - getting the route dialed is the key to success at that level. It's unfortunate that only a few gyms in the country have it available.

http://www.top30climbingwalls.com/...e=313&idage=4096

billcoe_

Apr 12, 2011, 4:18 PM
Post #32 of 38 (8834 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johngalt] training for speed climbing competitions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johngalt wrote:
Thanks for the tip Jo.

I've adopted a "theme/motto" over the last few years. it is: "don't get injured during the training." Better to go off the couch and get injured in the performance than injured in the training and not get to do the performance. You may replace the word "performance" with "adventure" or "climbing trip," etc...

That said. YES- if you want to improve your speed climbing do an action with less weight and make the movement faster than you normally would.

cheers,

Hans

ps. I'm giving a clinic at Rockn & Jamn in Denver on Feb 19th. - but it's more about NIAD skills not comp speed climbing.

It's interesting to me that one of the most noted speed climbers in the country checked in on this subject and gets ignored.

JasonsDrivingForce

Apr 29, 2011, 8:28 PM
Post #33 of 38 (8697 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] training for speed climbing competitions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was at Stone Summit(SCS nationals gym for this year). They had the standard 30 foot speed route setup so I decided to try. It is a lot harder than it looks. I probably took 30 seconds or more to get up the 30 foot route.

The Team Texas youth team came over a few minutes later and one kid blasted off a 5.9 second sprint(literally he sprinted up the wall).

There is no replacement for simply practicing the standard route. The kids who do that a lot always have an advantage over the kids that don't.

(This post was edited by JasonsDrivingForce on May 3, 2011, 2:06 PM)

shockabuku

May 3, 2011, 12:52 PM
Post #34 of 38 (8662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] training for speed climbing competitions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JasonsDrivingForce wrote:
I was at Stone Summit(SCS nationals gym for this year). They had the standard 30 meter speed route setup so I decided to try. It is a lot harder than it looks. I probably took 30 seconds or more to get up the 30 meter route.

The Team Texas youth team came over a few minutes later and one kid blasted off a 5.9 second sprint(literally he sprinted up the wall).

There is no replacement for simply practicing the standard route. The kids who do that a lot always have an advantage over the kids that don't.

The route that Stone Summit has up is not the full length route used in international speed comps.

olderic

May 3, 2011, 2:04 PM
Post #35 of 38 (8652 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] training for speed climbing competitions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not 30 m - either 10 or 15 is the standard:

http://www.epusa.com/..._Wall_Tech_Pages.pdf

JasonsDrivingForce

May 3, 2011, 2:05 PM
Post #36 of 38 (8652 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] training for speed climbing competitions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:

The route that Stone Summit has up is not the full length route used in international speed comps.

It is the youth B, A, and juniors route that they will use at the "youth" nationals this summer, right? Is the route at Stone Summit the first 30 feet of the full 45 foot route for international competitions?

JasonsDrivingForce

May 3, 2011, 2:08 PM
Post #37 of 38 (8649 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] training for speed climbing competitions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Not 30 m - either 10 or 15 is the standard:

http://www.epusa.com/..._Wall_Tech_Pages.pdf

Yes that is correct. Sorry that was a supposed to be 30 feet instead of 30 meters.

shockabuku

May 3, 2011, 2:24 PM
Post #38 of 38 (8646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JasonsDrivingForce wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

It is the youth B, A, and juniors route that they will use at the "youth" nationals this summer, right?
Yes, at least presumably.

In reply to:
Is the route at Stone Summit the first 30 feet of the full 45 foot route for international competitions?
I believe so though I've heard there were a few minor modifications besides the length - I'm not sure where/what.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook