Forums: Community: Campground:
Climbers Without a Profile on a Climbing Site?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

enigma

May 1, 2011, 8:45 PM
Post #1 of 267 (9024 views)
Shortcut

Climbers Without a Profile on a Climbing Site?
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can understand if you just joined.
So you haven't had a chance to post photos and information.
However that being said, (if you are a climber why not attempt putting up some photo's and relevant information regarding climbing.)
Or if you have retired or been injured, why not be open?
I feel if someone has been on here for years with no information, it makes me wonder, why?
Or is it fake? Using another name/s so you can post different opinions , like a ghost writer.
Any thoughts?

(This post was edited by enigma on May 1, 2011, 8:48 PM)

rhythm164

May 1, 2011, 9:07 PM
Post #2 of 267 (9001 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Climbers Without a Profile on a Climbing Site? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's awesome that you waste not only brain power worrying about this, but also took the time to post about it.

Partner happiegrrrl

May 1, 2011, 9:40 PM
Post #3 of 267 (8980 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhythm164] Climbers Without a Profile on a Climbing Site? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not everyone uses the site in the same way. Not everyone fills out their profiles, but that doesn't mean they are not competent climbers. I've climbed with plenty who are registered on the site but don't fill out their data.

That said - when I am cruising for a new partner online, and someone responds, the first thing I do is see what they've got on the profile. If there is nothing, or not much, then I hope they have already told me what they lead, follow and what they are looking to do on the day(s) we are considering climbing. People with no info who write something like "yeah, I'm up for it!" usually don't get a response from me.

enigma

May 1, 2011, 9:50 PM
Post #4 of 267 (8972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rhythm164 wrote:
I think it's awesome that you waste not only brain power worrying about this, but also took the time to post about it.

Well, you have a a profile.

It is after all climbing,( so its hard to understand why someone wouldn't want to share that information.) Even a small portion is helpful !

I do speak to my potential partners on the telephone. So that helps
Actually, I have met some of my best partners in the climbing area itself.

(This post was edited by enigma on May 1, 2011, 10:38 PM)

cornstateclimber

May 1, 2011, 10:39 PM
Post #5 of 267 (8939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i met a guy on here, actually several. the 1st guy ended up being a great partner for over a couple years(eaqual_1 , miss ya bro), and we went on to climb looking glass rock, linville gorge, the red, southern ill, all in a good weeklong roadtrip. the next was a 1st time meet and we went out west to S.D. to Spearfish, the needles, cathedral spires, rushmore routes, and Devil's Tower. I had a great time. and he had no profile at all, and was here in the states from Isreal, while his wife to school, and the next, a guy with no profile, in chicago for work, he was a frenchman from Turkey. another great guy, and all of them competent climbers! FT, looking forward to next weekend!

Gmburns2000

May 1, 2011, 10:50 PM
Post #6 of 267 (8930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
However that being said, (if you are a climber why not attempt putting up some photo's and relevant information regarding climbing.)
I feel if someone has been on here for years with no information, it makes me wonder, why?
Or is it fake? Using another name/s so you can post different opinions , like a ghost writer.
Any thoughts?

um, some people have something to say but also want to protect their privacy maybe? Maybe there's a social worker who deals with psychos who might want to stalk her online, but she's a climber and enjoys gabbing on the internet, is this a problem? I actually know three people who almost exactly fit that description except they are on facebook and not the knob. Kudos to them for having a life and managing to not get killed by their clients via on-line stalking.

And I never look at a person's profile. Why in god's name would I when the opportunity to lie is so great?

enigma

May 1, 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #7 of 267 (8909 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Climbers Without a Profile on a Climbing Site? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
enigma wrote:
Any thoughts?

um, some people have something to say but also want to protect their privacy maybe? Maybe there's a social worker who deals with psychos who might want to stalk her online, but she's a climber and enjoys gabbing on the internet, is this a problem? I actually know three people who almost exactly fit that description except they are on facebook and not the knob. Kudos to them for having a life and managing to not get killed by their clients via on-line stalking.

And I never look at a person's profile. Why in god's name would I when the opportunity to lie is so great?

You have a profile.
Besides it doesn't have to have your name , address, or private information like college,work location etc.
This is not ///// book
Just for some basic reference for climbing.
Of course people could say they are doctors and give medical advice.
Sports not so much. It would be pretty pointless.

Vegasclimber10

May 1, 2011, 11:38 PM
Post #8 of 267 (8909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rhythm164 wrote:

+1

enigma

May 1, 2011, 11:46 PM
Post #9 of 267 (8898 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cornstateclimber] Climbers Without a Profile on a Climbing Site? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cornstateclimber wrote:
i met a guy on here, actually several. the 1st guy ended up being a great partner for over a couple years(eaqual_1 , miss ya bro), and we went on to climb looking glass rock, linville gorge, the red, southern ill, all in a good weeklong roadtrip. the next was a 1st time meet and we went out west to S.D. to Spearfish, the needles, cathedral spires, rushmore routes, and Devil's Tower. I had a great time. and he had no profile at all, and was here in the states from Isreal, while his wife to school, and the next, a guy with no profile, in chicago for work, he was a frenchman from Turkey. another great guy, and all of them competent climbers! FT, looking forward to next weekend!

I have also climbed with some people from Europe and the midwest that didn't have a profile.
However, look at some of the recent posts, in technique and training, or in some other forums, beginners,or injury advice and you might see why it would be helpful.
I feel if someone has been here for a couple years and has been climbing, Its good at least for starters to have a little profile information.
Why not?

(This post was edited by enigma on May 1, 2011, 11:50 PM)

cornstateclimber

May 2, 2011, 12:09 AM
Post #10 of 267 (8878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i agree. there are some out there that are just clueless. i have always had some contact before going climbing on the 1st trip, at least enough to get an idea on their abilities.
Really sucks trying to find a partner around here, especially since i cant get out and climb as much as i used to be able to do. so its nice to find one that has been climbing at least a few years, and is able lead, follow, and get themselves out of a jam. i'm not against climbing with noobs, but id definently rather climb with somone more suited to my level, and someone that i dont have to always keep the grades down in the low mods. i do like to push my limits and see what i can do occasionally! i wont take just anybody 6 pitches up devils tower!

MudBuzz

May 2, 2011, 1:40 AM
Post #11 of 267 (8834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Filling out your climbing profile is just spraying.

altelis

May 2, 2011, 1:56 AM
Post #12 of 267 (8825 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MudBuzz] Climbers Without a Profile on a Climbing Site? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i've never been so tempted to delete the info in my profile as I am right now...

enigma

May 2, 2011, 1:57 AM
Post #13 of 267 (8825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MudBuzz wrote:
Filling out your climbing profile is just spraying.

Good try
on your excuse
not junior high

A video or photo can work too. (Check out rtwill4)

Just be honest. Angelic

Someone with a a harness and climbing gear will meet you and watch your next climb/ or v10

Laugh

MudBuzz

May 2, 2011, 2:09 AM
Post #14 of 267 (8807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My point is, I don't care how hard you climb. I want to talk to a person and find out how smart and safe they climb.

enigma

May 2, 2011, 2:19 AM
Post #15 of 267 (8799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MudBuzz wrote:
My point is, I don't care how hard you climb. I want to talk to a person and find out how smart and safe they climb.

Me too. Its just a starting point.Tongue

enigma

May 2, 2011, 2:20 AM
Post #16 of 267 (8796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Climbers Without a Profile on a Climbing Site? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
i've never been so tempted to delete the info in my profile as I am right now...

Delete , Delete, Delete. Wink

altelis

May 2, 2011, 2:24 AM
Post #17 of 267 (8792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MudBuzz wrote:
My point is, I don't care how hard you climb. I want to talk to climb with a person on a few easy pitches and find out how smart and safe they climb.

...because, as experience has solidly demonstrated, how one talks about climbing and how one climbs are not necessarily related. esp when that "talk" occurs in the ether of the interwebs. shocker, i know.

enigma

May 2, 2011, 2:28 AM
Post #18 of 267 (8784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
MudBuzz wrote:
My point is, I don't care how hard you climb. I want to talk to climb with a person on a few easy pitches and find out how smart and safe they climb.

...because, as experience has solidly demonstrated, how one talks about climbing and how one climbs are not necessarily related. esp when that "talk" occurs in the ether of the interwebs. shocker, i know.

Crazy

altelis

May 2, 2011, 2:30 AM
Post #19 of 267 (8782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
altelis wrote:
MudBuzz wrote:

Crazy
i honestly don't have the slightest clue on how to interpret that. i'm often reminded of this when reading your posts http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=channel

enigma

May 2, 2011, 3:06 AM
Post #20 of 267 (8761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
enigma wrote:
altelis wrote:
MudBuzz wrote:

Crazy
i honestly don't have the slightest clue on how to interpret that. i'm often reminded of this when reading your posts http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=channel

Fine, P.M. me. Mudbuzz

However by nighttime ( Mr. Rogers headless horseman rides again through sleepy hollow, with alot of gear around his neck)

Not far from the Mr. Rogers, and the children from the Gunks neighborhood.

stagg54

May 2, 2011, 3:25 AM
Post #21 of 267 (8748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

maybe some of us don't like to spray and detest people who do.

kickasssoprano

May 2, 2011, 3:40 AM
Post #22 of 267 (8740 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems you spend an awful lot of time worrying about what other people are doing.

kachoong

May 2, 2011, 3:55 AM
Post #23 of 267 (8729 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
altelis wrote:
enigma wrote:
altelis wrote:
MudBuzz wrote:

Crazy

Fine, P.M. me. Mudbuzz

Yes, Mudbuzz... do this^^... and report back!

Partner jammer

May 2, 2011, 3:57 AM
Post #24 of 267 (8727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What's a profile going to tell you? If someone wants to pull your chain, they can write anything they want in a profile. Listen to what they say and make a knowledgeable decision if it is true or not. If you question what someone say, do the research to find your answers.

BTW ... I've been here for many years, have deleted my profile once and now just have very little to view, in case someone wants to climb ... but then again, can you prove it's the truth?

curt

May 2, 2011, 4:55 AM
Post #25 of 267 (8664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
Any thoughts?

Not having a profile is almost as retarded as posting under a pseudonym instead of using your real name.

Curt

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook