RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

guangzhou

May 2, 2011, 7:35 AM
Post #1 of 18 (7501 views)
Shortcut

Climbing LEague
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does your gym, school, or community center have a Climbing league.

What do they do? What are they focused on?

Adult or youths?

Cheers

rtwilli4

May 2, 2011, 9:22 AM
Post #2 of 18 (7492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Climbing LEague [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In London a lot of the kids who are on the "climbing team" at the gym seem to spend quite a bit of time either climbing on their own, or climbing one on one with a coach. I rarely see groups of people climbing together that aren't beginners.

What I'm saying is that I am not sure if the "team" actually train together or not, but I do know that they compete around the UK.

Sorry, that was a pretty shit answer.

tscampbell

May 2, 2011, 10:18 AM
Post #3 of 18 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Knoxville Tennessee area has had a high school climbing league for over a decade now. It is centered from the only climbing gym in k-town, and most of the local high schools present at least one team at the competitions. The overall score based on difficulty is tallied for each team as a whole. When I was in it, the coaches typically held team practice weekly, although I really could not say too much about how it is run exactly these days, as I am currently overseas. The gym is called "The Climbing Center" and is attached to the gear shop Riversports. Certainly they both have websites if you are seeking any more information.

gblauer

May 2, 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #4 of 18 (7469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USAC hosts a national climbing league for kids in the US. There are regions and each region is represented by several teams. The teams compete in indoor bouldering and sport climbing. There are regional competitions, followed by Nationals and then the National team goes on to Worlds.

Philadelphia Rock Gym routinely sends kids to Nationals and sometimes has a kid or two in Worlds. Although it's competitive pressure, the kids seem to enjoy it.

johnwesely

May 2, 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #5 of 18 (7469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The University of Georgia has a team that competes against other college teams in the South. I don't really enjoy competing, so I do not really know more than that.

freezeus

May 2, 2011, 1:31 PM
Post #6 of 18 (7454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Green Mountain Rock Climbing in Rutland VT has a High School and Junior High season that runs from November through March and has been going on for over ten years. 6-8 local schools field teams and the top 5 scores from each team are added together for the team score with a championship on-site comp every March. In addition the gym has a great adult/beer league on Thursday nights in the fall and winter. 4 person teams, a handicap system, great prizes and after parties!

kaizen

May 2, 2011, 1:48 PM
Post #7 of 18 (7450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Our gym has climbing leagues on Tuesday night.

Each "season" typically lasts around 10 weeks, and scoring is done this way:

Flash: 50 points
Second try: number of holds + 10 points
Third try or incomplete: total number of holds reached on the route

Each climber is assigned 4 routes per week, based on their "climbing level." For example, if you're a 5.10 climber, the assigned routes for the week would be 2 5.10's and 2 5.11's. 5.8 climber recieves 2 5.8's and 2 5.9's, etc.

Each participant is assigned their climbing level at the start, and everyone competes against everyone. Since scoring is personalized, the 5.10 climber competes with the 5.12 climber, who competes with the 5.8 climber.

It's a pretty good system, since there are only 30 or so participants in the league.

shockabuku

May 2, 2011, 2:32 PM
Post #8 of 18 (7436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a high school league in Colorado. What each team does to prepare is up to that team. Nominally the teams are organized by high school. Factually they are organized by the gym where they train.

USA Climbing has the sport/speed (SCS) season and bouldering season (ABS). Most widely the participation in these is at the youth and pro/semi-pro levels though it is in fact open to anyone who wants to participate. Most of the competitions are held locally and then for the youth the local competition season is followed by regional (and divisional for SCS) competitions leading up to the national level. The youth teams are generally organized by their training facilities (commercial gyms) and youth categories are organized by age groups from 12 and younger up to 18. You can find more on the USA Climbing web page.

USA Climbing has also started a college league (CCS) in the last few years. It mostly mirrors the structure of the ABS and SCS but instead of having separate bouldering and route/speed seasons it rolls it all into one.

I have seen competition series sponsored by a couple of gyms. These were not in conjunction with other gyms, but one gym hosting a few comps over some part of the year that tally results and have a series winner. These have been Paradise Rock Gym (Denver), The Spot (Boulder), Boulder Rock Club, Stone Age (Albuquerque) and have seen some "promotional events" such as the "climb the height of Mt Everest" kind of thing, but no organized, long term, team events that I would traditionally think of as a "league".

djlachelt

May 2, 2011, 9:46 PM
Post #9 of 18 (7390 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Climbing LEague [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
There's a high school league in Colorado. What each team does to prepare is up to that team. Nominally the teams are organized by high school. Factually they are organized by the gym where they train.

The Colorado High School League has teams from all over the state (about 20). In most cases the teams are aligned with their High School, but in a few cases the teams are pulled together from 2-3 schools.

During the season the teams compete in comps organized within four regions around the state. At the end of the season each region sends its top teams (and top individuals) to the state finals.

The league is different from ABS/SCS in that the climbers must do both bouldering and routes. At state finals (and some of the regional comps) both bouldering problems and routes (TR and lead) are set. The comps are red-point style. Climbers are scored on their best 5 climbs, two of which must be boulder problems, two must be routes and the 5th may be either. Climbers get a 10% bonus for flashing the problem/route; also if the route is leadable, then they get a 5% bonus for leading it.

At the regional comps not every gym has the facility to host both bouldering and routes. So some of them are just one or the other.

At state finals teams may send 4 climbers (boys & girls teams are separate). The team score is based on the 3 highest scoring climbers.

You might also be interested in the leagues hosted at The Rock Club (in New Rochelle, NY)
* Adult Climbing League: http://climbrockclub.com/adult-programs/acl/
* Bouldering Circuit League: http://climbrockclub.com/adult-programs/bcl/

guangzhou

May 3, 2011, 12:26 AM
Post #10 of 18 (7360 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing LEague [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the info so far, I appreciate it. I am considering the creation of a climbing league for American International School in SOuth East Asia. A few students seem interested, and the interest seems consistent when I visit other schools in the region.

I was trying to decide how to organize this. Like someone above said, I am not into competition, but...

Any advice is very welcomed.

I think the tricky part will be schedule events, most likely quarterly that the school travel too. Most likely, the league will involve International Schools in Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Vietnam, Laos, maybe parts of China and Japan. Maybe Taiwan too.

Thanks again
Eman

djlachelt

May 3, 2011, 9:47 PM
Post #11 of 18 (7299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That sounds like an ambitious undertaking. I hope it works out.

The great thing about climbing competitions is that they tend to be so positive. Everyone is sharing beta and cheering each other on. I think the simple fact that in these comps you have to get two people to initial that you completed the climb encourages positive interaction between competitors.

And the way you run the comps can foster good, positive behavior. Since many of the climbers in the HS league haven't been to climbing comps before we always just do a quick etiquette review when we are going over the rules before the comp - sounds stupid, but even just reminding them to take turns and be gracious if someone falls right at the start of the boulder problem and wants to try again.

Good luck.

guangzhou

May 4, 2011, 1:02 AM
Post #12 of 18 (7280 views)
Shortcut

Re: [djlachelt] Climbing LEague [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

djlachelt wrote:
That sounds like an ambitious undertaking. I hope it works out.

The great thing about climbing competitions is that they tend to be so positive. Everyone is sharing beta and cheering each other on. I think the simple fact that in these comps you have to get two people to initial that you completed the climb encourages positive interaction between competitors.

And the way you run the comps can foster good, positive behavior. Since many of the climbers in the HS league haven't been to climbing comps before we always just do a quick etiquette review when we are going over the rules before the comp - sounds stupid, but even just reminding them to take turns and be gracious if someone falls right at the start of the boulder problem and wants to try again.

Good luck.

Would love for you to share some of your format style and score cards with me.

A big under taking for sure, but most sport in the International school are done in this way.

djlachelt

May 4, 2011, 3:47 PM
Post #13 of 18 (7245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll PM you with those details.

guangzhou

May 8, 2011, 4:35 AM
Post #14 of 18 (7164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [djlachelt] Climbing LEague [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks

matterunomama

May 10, 2011, 2:32 PM
Post #15 of 18 (7070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Rock Club has an awesome climbing league. What I like about it is that its a handicapped system-so the "best" climber doesn't always win, and a team can be composed of climbers at different levels (although folks do tend to form up around their own level).They have had 5 0r 6 seasons now, and tweaked the format. The details are on the website: http://climbrockclub.com/adult-programs/acl/. If you have any questions you can call or email Obe Carrion, who organizes it. His contact info is on the TRC website http://www.climbrockclub.com

guangzhou

Jun 6, 2011, 3:54 AM
Post #16 of 18 (6863 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matterunomama] Climbing LEague [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, looks excellent.

Kstenson

Jun 6, 2011, 4:06 AM
Post #17 of 18 (6859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Would that be under SEASAC?

(This post was edited by Kstenson on Jun 6, 2011, 4:07 AM)

guangzhou

Jun 6, 2011, 5:18 AM
Post #18 of 18 (6849 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kstenson] Climbing LEague [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It will be outside of SEASAC. Interested?

You live in KL, had a good time playing at Batu last time I was there. If you ever make it to East Java, I'll show you around the crags.

If you want to help get some local teen climbers at the schools there organized, let me know. Working on getting a few gyms involved in the region.

Ideally:
Indonesia, Singapore, LK, Vietnam, and Hong Kong can each host an event.

Eman
Surabaya

(This post was edited by guangzhou on Jun 6, 2011, 5:34 AM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook