Can't Post

http://www.npr.org/...sion?ft=1&f=1001

Discuss.

Jay

carabiner96

May 4, 2011, 2:14 PM
Post #2 of 40 (1738 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Native Americans Offended by Code Name "Geronimo" in Bin Laden Operation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This lead to another question: which ethnic/racial group gets the most butthurt?? I'd say either the Native Americans or the ADL.

Partner rrrADAM

May 4, 2011, 3:15 PM
Post #3 of 40 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Native Americans Offended by Code Name "Geronimo" in Bin Laden Operation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"Discuss"? Jay, if it weren't for the link to NPR, I'd've thought that enigma posted that. Tongue

jt512

May 4, 2011, 5:26 PM
Post #4 of 40 (1702 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Native Americans Offended by Code Name "Geronimo" in Bin Laden Operation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:

"Discuss"? Jay, if it weren't for the link to NPR, I'd've thought that enigma posted that. Tongue

I didn't want to state my opinion this yet. I was wondering what everyone else thought of it.

Jay

notapplicable

May 4, 2011, 5:44 PM
Post #5 of 40 (1693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

I didn't want to state my opinion this yet. I was wondering what everyone else thought of it.

Jay

My professional opinion on this issue is...pfft

squierbypetzl

May 4, 2011, 5:44 PM
Post #6 of 40 (1691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Geronimo took up arms against the US because American forces killed his wife and children in Sonora. They didn't really think the name through very well.

My guess is that the codename stems from the Apache chief's notorious elusiveness. However, they did capture him alive (he lived out the rest of his days in Fort Sam Houston, SA), while Obama himself said that the move against bin Laden was a kill operation.

chadnsc

May 4, 2011, 8:06 PM
Post #7 of 40 (1668 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] Native Americans Offended by Code Name "Geronimo" in Bin Laden Operation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It could also be that the gal who comes up with the names was on vacation that week and Tim from IT came up with it.

jt512

May 4, 2011, 8:20 PM
Post #8 of 40 (1663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Native Americans Offended by Code Name "Geronimo" in Bin Laden Operation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
It could also be that the gal who comes up with the names was on vacation that week and Tim from IT came up with it.

Used to be (as I understand it) they were randomly assigned by a computer that was programmed to pick nouns with minimal associations. That resulted in code names like COVALENT; not terribly sexy, but not likely to offend anyone, either.

Jay

sbaclimber

May 5, 2011, 12:46 AM
Post #9 of 40 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Native Americans Offended by Code Name "Geronimo" in Bin Laden Operation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
jt512 wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

Jay

My professional opinion on this issue is...pfft
Although far from professional, my opinion is pretty much the same.
Feigning offense is as a popular political tool.

Just like everyone here being bent out of shape (or at least pretending to be...), because Chancelor Merkel said she was happy that the americans succeeded in killing Bin Laden.
Was is a stupid thing for the top public official in a "christian" country, which doesn't even have the death penalty, to say? Yeah, kinda...
Was it dishonest, or go against what the majority of the population was thinking anyway? I highly doubt it...

pinktricam

May 5, 2011, 1:45 AM
Post #10 of 40 (1638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Discuss.

Whatever.

spikeddem

May 5, 2011, 1:58 AM
Post #11 of 40 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

Used to be (as I understand it) they were randomly assigned by a computer that was programmed to pick nouns with minimal associations. That resulted in code names like COVALENT; not terribly sexy, but not likely to offend anyone, either.

Jay

RC.com waits with baited breath for "Operation Pancakes." Personally, I could settle for "Operation Chapstick." I really do dislike horseshit names like "Operation Enduring Freedom" or whatever.

Partner rrrADAM

May 5, 2011, 3:43 AM
Post #12 of 40 (1616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

Jay
IMO, many are overly sensitive, and/or, look for reasons to be offended.

lena_chita

May 5, 2011, 5:25 AM
Post #13 of 40 (1609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was a stupid code name, and I do wonder why someone came up with it.

The reaction to it is quite predictable. I am not sure, since I haven't studied history in American schools, how wide-spread is the knowledge of who Geronimo was. If you stop 20 random people on the steet, and ask then who Geronimo was, would they know?

OTOH, if they called the operation code name Spartacus, would Italians care? I am pretty sure that calling it operation Stenka Razin or operation Pugachev would have Russians laughing really hard, instead of being offended. (for clarification, the two were leaders of big serf rebellions, one in 17th century, the other in 18th century).

But I also wonder why the heck does the CIA director need to tell the public what the code name of any operation was.

IMO, if you are going to be releasing information like that to the public, you better make sure the code names are not offensive to any segment of the population, and err on the side of being overly sensitive. Seriously, which smart brain came up with THAT code name?

sbaclimber

May 5, 2011, 5:54 AM
Post #14 of 40 (1604 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Native Americans Offended by Code Name "Geronimo" in Bin Laden Operation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
OTOH, if they called the operation code name Spartacus, would Italians care?
Kinda doubt it....seeing as he wasn't Italian (or Roman for that matter) Tongue

styndall

May 5, 2011, 6:33 AM
Post #15 of 40 (1595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

Jay

While I don't think it's all that big a deal, I can definitely understand frustration with cultural icons getting stereotyped and used for military and sports metaphors and mascots.

skiclimb

May 5, 2011, 7:04 AM
Post #16 of 40 (1586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Native Americans Offended by Code Name "Geronimo" in Bin Laden Operation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
jt512 wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

Jay

And don't forget the PR professionals who are given billions every year to make sure you hear about it.

Partner macherry

May 5, 2011, 8:02 AM
Post #17 of 40 (1564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
jt512 wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

Jay

if i was native american, i'd be more offended by the cleveland indian logo or the atlanta braves chop chant

saint_john

May 5, 2011, 8:55 AM
Post #18 of 40 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Native Americans Offended by Code Name "Geronimo" in Bin Laden Operation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
I am pretty sure that calling it operation Stenka Razin or operation Pugachev would have Russians laughing really hard, instead of being offended. (for clarification, the two were leaders of big serf rebellions, one in 17th century, the other in 18th century).

well duh. that's like, totally common knowledge and stuff.

lena_chita

May 5, 2011, 12:09 PM
Post #19 of 40 (1523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Native Americans Offended by Code Name "Geronimo" in Bin Laden Operation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

True. But it was used as an example. Modern-day Thrasian descendants as it were, probably wouldn't be offended, either.

sbaclimber

May 5, 2011, 1:07 PM
Post #20 of 40 (1511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

True. But it was used as an example. Modern-day Thrasian descendants as it were, probably wouldn't be offended, either.
Fair enough, but the passage of time alone has still made your example incomparable to the native americans getting bent out of shape over the use of Geronimo.
If whatever government happens to be in control in 1500 years uses that name again, I really don't think the remaining descendants of the native americans are going to give a toss.

More comparable to the native american reaction might be the potential reaction of the Maori in New Zealand to a similar action by the NZ government.
If the New Zealand government had named a military action to kill a terrorist, "Titokowaru", I am fairly sure there would a fair number of upset Maori.

Edit: forgive me for writing the word Maori incorrectly. This site doesn't support UTF-8. PirateFrown

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on May 6, 2011, 12:19 AM)

wjca

May 5, 2011, 1:20 PM
Post #21 of 40 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Native Americans Offended by Code Name "Geronimo" in Bin Laden Operation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
jt512 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

Jay

RC.com waits with baited breath for "Operation Pancakes." Personally, I could settle for "Operation Chapstick." I really do dislike horseshit names like "Operation Enduring Freedom" or whatever.

I think calling it Operation Horseshit Stomp would have been great. Call from the SEAL team, "We've stomped the Horseshit. I repeat, the Horseshit has been stomped. We have taken custody of the stomped Horseshit and are bugging out."

Partner rrrADAM

May 5, 2011, 1:37 PM
Post #22 of 40 (1489 views)
Shortcut

Re: Native Americans Offended by Code Name "Geronimo" in Bin Laden Operation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Really? I seem to remember soem saying "Geronimoooooooooo", when they jump out of a plane.

curt

May 5, 2011, 10:45 PM
Post #23 of 40 (1456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

Jay

Probably used COVALENT because IONIC was taken.

Curt

imnotclever

May 6, 2011, 6:20 AM
Post #24 of 40 (1412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Native Americans Offended by Code Name "Geronimo" in Bin Laden Operation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
jt512 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

Jay

Curt

Operation Van Der Waals kicked serious ass!

scrapedape

May 6, 2011, 6:35 AM
Post #25 of 40 (1404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [imnotclever] Native Americans Offended by Code Name "Geronimo" in Bin Laden Operation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

imnotclever wrote:
curt wrote:
jt512 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

Jay

Curt

Operation Van Der Waals kicked serious ass!

Meh. I thought it was pretty weak.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook