Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Sport Climbing:
SURVEY: Environmental Ethic of Rock Climbers - PLEASE take me!!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

drayh8

Apr 27, 2011, 1:53 AM
Post #1 of 14 (6136 views)
Shortcut

SURVEY: Environmental Ethic of Rock Climbers - PLEASE take me!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi Climbers!

I am conducting a study for my Environmental Ethics class concerning rock climbers.

My main objective is to determine what factors guide a rock climbers decision to climb mainly trad or sport. I also want to find out what role, if any, does a climber's environmental ethic play in making this decision.

I have drafted a brief survey on the topic and would greatly appreciate it if some fellow craggers took the time to fill it out. I am attaching the survey as a word file as well as copying it below (the format of the copied version is a bit off). Feel free to fill out the survey and email me the file - drayh8@rockclimbing.com.

I wish I could give you guys some money as incentive but I'm a broke grad student..

Thanks soooo much for your participation!

Dustin

Survey:

Rock Climbing Survey

1. Approximately how many years have you been rock climbing? ______

2. In which medium were you introduced to climbing?

[ ] Synthetic (climbing wall)
[ ] Outdoors

3. In a given year, on average, how often do you climb outdoors?

[ ] once or twice a year
[ ] once every other month
[ ] once per month
[ ] twice per month
[ ] once per week
[ ] 2-3 times per week
[ ] 4 + times per week

4. When climbing outdoors, would you consider yourself predominately a trad climber (placing gear as you ascend and later removing), a sport climber (clipping your gear into fixed bolts as you ascend), or other (bouldering, top rope, aid, etc.)?

[ ] trad climber (proceed to 4a.)
[ ] sport climber (proceed to 4b.)
[ ] other (skip to 5)

4a. If you answered trad in question #3, please describe your motivation by ranking the top three reasons you choose to climb this way (mark numbers 1, 2, 3 for first, second, and third most important motivations). [How can I simplify these instructions?].

[ ] minimal level of impact (clean-climbing)
[ ] more challenging/thrilling style
[ ] social pressures
[ ] self-reliance/independence
[ ] lack of ideal bolted routes in your region
[ ] more freedom in route selection
[ ] less crowded crags
[ ] more aesthetically pleasing areas
[ ] other (please specify): ________________________

4b. If you answered sport in question #3, please describe your motivation by ranking the top three reasons you choose to climb this way (mark numbers 1, 2, 3 for first, second, and third most important motivations).

[ ] safety aspect
[ ] lack of confidence in ability to place gear
[ ] not an experienced enough climber for trad
[ ] more economically reasonable (full trad rack is expensive)
[ ] more accessible in terms of locations
[ ] no one to learn trad technique from
[ ] easily identifiable routes
[ ] more comfortable making dynamic moves/climbing harder grades
[ ] other (please specify): ____________________________

5. In your opinion, do the overall benefits of climbing with fixed bolts outweigh the ethical, environmental, and aesthetic cost to altering natural rock faces by bolting routes?

[ ] yes
[ ] no

6. Approximately how much money have you spent in your lifetime on climbing gear (ex. rope, shoes, harness, biners, slings, draws, active and passive pro, etc.)?

[ ] under $100
[ ] $100-$249
[ ] $250-$499
[ ] $500-$749
[ ] $750-$999
[ ] $1,000 or more

7. What is the highest level of education you have completed?

[ ] 8th grade or less
[ ] some high school
[ ] high school graduate or GED
[ ] some college, business or trade school
[ ] college graduate
[ ] some graduate school
[ ] master’s, doctoral, or professional degree

8. Using the following scale, circle the number that best matches your feelings regarding the following aspects of climbing:

1 = Strongly Positive
2 = Somewhat Positive
3 = Neutral Feelings
4 = Somewhat Negative
5 = Strongly Negative

Environmental Aspects
Fixed anchors at the top of a climb 1 2 3 4 5
Bolts on a climb 1 2 3 4 5
Rappel Slings (around boulders, trees, etc.) 1 2 3 4 5
Chalk use 1 2 3 4 5
Cleaning vegetation from a climbing route 1 2 3 4 5

In order to articulate where you fall in the realm of environmental ethics, refer to the following three spectra. In each spectrum, please select the number that best represents your prescriptive position (i.e. what ought to be).

9. Instrumental value – Intrinsic value:

Starting with the far left, you see nature as valuable only in terms of its usefulness to humans (instrumental). Moving toward the center, humans are in charge of nature but should take care it (stewardship). The third part, humans should respect all forms of life equally (i.e. plants, animals). The fourth part, intrinsic value is dominant. All things in nature have value within themselves, including inanimate objects and ecosystems, and humans are no more important than other species.

instrumental----1-----2-----3-----4----intrinsic

[ ] 1
[ ] 2
[ ] 3
[ ] 4

10. Individualistic – Holistic:

To what degree do you value the individual or the ecosystem (i.e., increasing holism) in nature? For example, some philosophers have difficulty extending value to an ecosystem, which is an inanimate object; others have no such qualms. At its most extreme, the right-hand edge of holism considers the Earth as a super-organism.

individualistic---1---2---3---4---holistic

[ ] 1
[ ] 2
[ ] 3
[ ] 4

11. Rational – Spiritual:

If you make environmental decisions solely on a rational basis (i.e., on the basis of reason, like philosophy), then place yourself on the left-hand side of the line. Alternatively, if you make environmental decisions solely on a spiritual basis, then place yourself on the right-hand side of the line. There are different definitions for spirituality. Here, you might consider spiritual as being a connection to something “greater” than yourself, but if you prefer another definition, please use it. Please do not necessarily associate “spiritual” with organized religion.

rational----1----2----3----4----spiritual

[ ] 1
[ ] 2
[ ] 3
[ ] 4
Attachments: EECPsurveyFirstDraft.doc (90.0 KB)

ENARE

Apr 27, 2011, 9:05 PM
Post #2 of 14 (6083 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drayh8] SURVEY: Environmental Ethic of Rock Climbers - PLEASE take me!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I hope you realize the time that I invested into this thing:

1. Approximately how many years have you been rock climbing? _5_

[x] Outdoors

[ ] once or twice a year
[ ] once per month
[ ] twice per month
[ ] once per week
[x] 2-3 times per week
[ ] 4 + times per week

4. When climbing outdoors, would you consider yourself predominately a trad climber (placing gear as you ascend and later removing), a sport climber (clipping your gear into fixed bolts as you ascend), or other (bouldering, top rope, aid, etc.)?

[x] sport climber (proceed to 4b.)
[ ] other (skip to 5)

4a. If you answered trad in question #3, please describe your motivation by ranking the top three reasons you choose to climb this way (mark numbers 1, 2, 3 for first, second, and third most important motivations). [How can I simplify these instructions?].

[ ] social pressures
[ ] less crowded crags

4b. If you answered sport in question #3, please describe your motivation by ranking the top three reasons you choose to climb this way (mark numbers 1, 2, 3 for first, second, and third most important motivations).

[] safety aspect
[] lack of confidence in ability to place gear
[] not an experienced enough climber for trad
[2] more economically reasonable (full trad rack is expensive)
[1] more accessible in terms of locations
[] no one to learn trad technique from
[3] easily identifiable routes
[] more comfortable making dynamic moves/climbing harder grades

5. In your opinion, do the overall benefits of climbing with fixed bolts outweigh the ethical, environmental, and aesthetic cost to altering natural rock faces by bolting routes?

[x] yes
[ ] no

6. Approximately how much money have you spent in your lifetime on climbing gear (ex. rope, shoes, harness, biners, slings, draws, active and passive pro, etc.)?

[ ] under $100
[ ] $100-$249
[ ] $250-$499
[x] $500-$749
[ ] $750-$999
[ ] $1,000 or more

[ ] 8th grade or less
[ ] some high school
[x] college graduate
[ ] some graduate school

8. Using the following scale, circle the number that best matches your feelings regarding the following aspects of climbing:

1 = Strongly Positive
2 = Somewhat Positive
3 = Neutral Feelings
4 = Somewhat Negative
5 = Strongly Negative

Environmental Aspects
Chalk use 1 2 3 4 5

In order to articulate where you fall in the realm of environmental ethics, refer to the following three spectra. In each spectrum, please select the number that best represents your prescriptive position (i.e. what ought to be).

Starting with the far left, you see nature as valuable only in terms of its usefulness to humans (instrumental). Moving toward the center, humans are in charge of nature but should take care it (stewardship). The third part, humans should respect all forms of life equally (i.e. plants, animals). The fourth part, intrinsic value is dominant. All things in nature have value within themselves, including inanimate objects and ecosystems, and humans are no more important than other species.

[ ] 1
[x] 2
[ ] 3
[ ] 4

To what degree do you value the individual or the ecosystem (i.e., increasing holism) in nature? For example, some philosophers have difficulty extending value to an ecosystem, which is an inanimate object; others have no such qualms. At its most extreme, the right-hand edge of holism considers the Earth as a super-organism.

[] 1
[x] 2
[ ] 3
[ ] 4

If you make environmental decisions solely on a rational basis (i.e., on the basis of reason, like philosophy), then place yourself on the left-hand side of the line. Alternatively, if you make environmental decisions solely on a spiritual basis, then place yourself on the right-hand side of the line. There are different definitions for spirituality. Here, you might consider spiritual as being a connection to something “greater” than yourself, but if you prefer another definition, please use it. Please do not necessarily associate “spiritual” with organized religion.

[] 1
[x] 2
[ ] 3
[ ] 4

sungam

Apr 28, 2011, 11:27 AM
Post #3 of 14 (5989 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drayh8] SURVEY: Environmental Ethic of Rock Climbers - PLEASE take me!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MAKE A DECENT EASY TO USE SURVEY OR GO AWAY.

johnwesely

Apr 28, 2011, 1:49 PM
Post #4 of 14 (5966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] SURVEY: Environmental Ethic of Rock Climbers - PLEASE take me!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
MAKE A DECENT EASY TO USE SURVEY OR GO AWAY.

MAKE AN EASY TO USE SURVEY AND ALSO GO AWAY!

Partner cracklover

Apr 28, 2011, 2:51 PM
Post #5 of 14 (5957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

drayh8 wrote:
Hi Climbers!

I am conducting a study for my Environmental Ethics class concerning rock climbers.

My main objective is to determine what factors guide a rock climbers decision to climb mainly trad or sport. I also want to find out what role, if any, does a climber's environmental ethic play in making this decision.

I have drafted a brief survey on the topic and would greatly appreciate it if some fellow craggers took the time to fill it out. I am attaching the survey as a word file as well as copying it below (the format of the copied version is a bit off). Feel free to fill out the survey and email me the file - drayh8@rockclimbing.com.

I wish I could give you guys some money as incentive but I'm a broke grad student..

Dustin

Survey:

Rock Climbing Survey

1. Approximately how many years have you been rock climbing? __12___

[X] Synthetic (climbing wall)
[ ] Outdoors

[ ] once or twice a year
[ ] once per month
[ ] twice per month
[X] once per week
[ ] 2-3 times per week
[ ] 4 + times per week

[X] trad climber (proceed to 4a.)
[ ] other (skip to 5)

[2] more challenging/thrilling style
[ ] social pressures
[1] self-reliance/independence
[ ] less crowded crags
[3] more aesthetically pleasing areas

[ ] safety aspect

[ ] yes
[ ] no

---It Depends---

[ ] under $100
[ ] $100-$249
[ ] $250-$499
[ ] $500-$749
[ ] $750-$999
[X] $1,000 or more

[ ] 8th grade or less
[ ] some high school
[X] college graduate
[ ] some graduate school

1 = Strongly Positive
2 = Somewhat Positive
3 = Neutral Feelings
4 = Somewhat Negative
5 = Strongly Negative

Environmental Aspects
Fixed anchors at the top of a climb 2
Bolts on a climb ---It Depends---
Rappel Slings (around boulders, trees, etc.) 2
Chalk use 3
Cleaning vegetation from a climbing route 2

[ ] 1
[ ] 2
[ ] 3
[ ] 4

Uh.... what? Sorry, I don't turn on my whole brain when I come to rc.com. Depending on the context, I am a 2, 3, or 4.

Good grief. I dunno, somewhere in the middle.

[ ] 1
[X] 2
[ ] 3
[ ] 4

On many of these questions, the questions just miss the boat entirely about how I think about stuff. But whatever, it's your survey.

GO

dynosore

Apr 28, 2011, 3:56 PM
Post #6 of 14 (5945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your survey has too many questions and too many answers per question. Research shows that most people won't do a survey like this if they figure it will take more than 60 seconds. Simplify and come back.

djlachelt

Apr 28, 2011, 5:45 PM
Post #7 of 14 (5926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] SURVEY: Environmental Ethic of Rock Climbers - PLEASE take me!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you can narrow it down to 10 questions, then you can do it in surveymonkey.com for free.

It's easy to build.
It has all of the flexibility you need (except for the branching.
It's easy for users to take (they don't have to send you a file).
Your results get tabulated automatically.

kachoong

Apr 28, 2011, 5:54 PM
Post #8 of 14 (5919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

drayh8 wrote:

[ ] under $100
[ ] $100-$249
[ ] $250-$499
[ ] $500-$749
[ ] $750-$999
[ ] $1,000 or more

There is only one answer to this for anyone who really climbs.

rangerrob

May 3, 2011, 4:45 PM
Post #9 of 14 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

The questions asked here seem to have very little to do with environmental impacts of climbers. Bolts and fixed gear are miniscule compared to the compaction of soil, girdling of trees, changes in soil ph around bouldering areas, disruption of wildlife habits in a cliff environment.....and let's not forget the stuff we really don't like to think about:

- spurring on production of climbing gear and material that has no intrisic value to our environment
- All that fossil fuel we spend on climbing trips...which again has no real value.

In my experience climbers have a fairly low environmental outlook. They get pissed off when cliffs are closed so birds of prey can nest. They refuse to stay on marked approach trails, they insist on having fires while camping, the drive to the cliff in their gas guzzling SUV, they leave garbage all over the place. Very few climbers really understand what their role is in the environmental scheme of things.

We all have an impact when we go to the cliff. Cliff ecologies are inherently fragile, and do not support a large mass of people trampling around the base or the top regularly. Soil compaction is huge, and very hard to avoid. There's a reason why nothing grows at the base of popular crags, and it's not because climbers have cut it or removed it...it's that we have made that little ecosystem inhospitable for vegetation.

And yes, I am a climber, but at least I do it knowing I am doing it, and I don't have this false sense of righteousness because I bought a Patagonia shirt that gives 2% back to the environment.

If climbers really cared about the cliff ecology, they would:
- stay on marked approach and descent trails
-If there were no marked trails at their cliff, they would advocate for them
-They would regularly patrol their cliff for trash and carry it out
-They would carpool to the crag (novel concept)
-They would camp on durable surfaces and refrain from having social campfires.

Seriously, drilling a 3/8 inch hole into the rock has nothing to do with environmental impacts.

koepkeca

May 3, 2011, 5:24 PM
Post #10 of 14 (5806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1. Approximately how many years have you been rock climbing? __6___

[X] Outdoors

[ ] once or twice a year
[ ] once per month
[X] twice per month
[ ] once per week
[ ] 2-3 times per week
[ ] 4 + times per week

[X] trad climber (proceed to 4a.)
[ ] other (skip to 5)

[1] minimal level of impact (clean-climbing)
[ ] social pressures
[2] self-reliance/independence
[3] lack of ideal bolted routes in your region
[ ] less crowded crags

[ ] safety aspect

[ ] yes
[X] no

[ ] under $100
[ ] $100-$249
[ ] $250-$499
[ ] $500-$749
[X] $750-$999
[ ] $1,000 or more

[ ] 8th grade or less
[ ] some high school
[ ] college graduate
[X] some graduate school

1 = Strongly Positive
2 = Somewhat Positive
3 = Neutral Feelings
4 = Somewhat Negative
5 = Strongly Negative

Environmental Aspects
Fixed anchors at the top of a climb 1 (2) 3 4 5
Bolts on a climb 1 2 3 (4) 5
Rappel Slings (around boulders, trees, etc.) 1 2 (3) 4 5
Chalk use 1 2 3 (4) 5
Cleaning vegetation from a climbing route 1 2 3 (4) 5

[ ] 1
[X] 2
[ ] 3
[ ] 4

[ ] 1
[X] 2
[ ] 3
[ ] 4

[ ] 1
[X] 2
[ ] 3
[ ] 4

guangzhou

May 4, 2011, 12:48 AM
Post #11 of 14 (5757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

drayh8 wrote:
Hi Climbers!

I don't think environmental ethic plays much role. Especially if you look at just how much impact trad climbing actually has, not much different from sport actually.

In reply to:

Dustin

Survey:

Rock Climbing Survey

1. Approximately how many years have you been rock climbing? __26 years____

[ ] Outdoors

3 to four days a week average.

I'm a climber, sometimes that means sport routes, sometime trad routes. Really depend on the climbing area, local ethics, and the cliff's features.

[ ] other (skip to 5)

I climb trad routes because they are fun, aesthetic, and challenging.

I climb sport routes because they are fun, aesthetic, and challenging.

I don't see bolted sport routes as any more or less environmentally damaging. Same with Ethics and aesthetics.

More than 20,000 USD

1 = Strongly Positive
2 = Somewhat Positive
3 = Neutral Feelings
4 = Somewhat Negative
5 = Strongly Negative

Environmental Aspects
Fixed anchors at the top of a climb 3
Bolts on a climb 3
Rappel Slings (around boulders, trees, etc.) 3
Chalk use 3
Cleaning vegetation from a climbing route 5

I fall somewhere in the middle.

Somewhere in the middle

Somewhere in the middle.

JakubBujak

May 4, 2011, 7:41 PM
Post #12 of 14 (5711 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

drayh8 wrote:
Hi Climbers!

Dustin

Survey:

Rock Climbing Survey

1. Approximately how many years have you been rock climbing? ___3__

[x] Synthetic (climbing wall)
[ ] Outdoors

[ ] once or twice a year
[] once per month
[x] twice per month
[ ] once per week
[ ] 2-3 times per week
[ ] 4 + times per week

[x] other (skip to 5)

[ ] social pressures
[ ] less crowded crags

[ ] safety aspect

[ ] yes
[ ] no
Maybe

[ ] under $100
[ ] $100-$249
[ ] $250-$499
[x] $500-$749
[ ] $750-$999
[ ] $1,000 or more

[ ] 8th grade or less
[ ] some high school
[x] some college, business or trade school
[ ] college graduate
[ ] some graduate school

1 = Strongly Positive
2 = Somewhat Positive
3 = Neutral Feelings
4 = Somewhat Negative
5 = Strongly Negative

Environmental Aspects
Chalk use 1 2 3 4 5

[ ] 1
[ ] 2
[ ] 3
[x] 4

[ ] 1
[ ] 2
[x] 3
[ ] 4

[ ] 1
[x] 2
[ ] 3
[ ] 4

A-Bowl

May 4, 2011, 11:58 PM
Post #13 of 14 (5674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Didn't seem like I could answer "both" for sport and trad so I went with what I prefer. I actually do both equally. Started to lose me a bit at the end sorry... felt like ethics class all over again... boring, but i see what you're getting at.

1. Approximately how many years have you been rock climbing? ___6___

[x ] Synthetic (climbing wall)
[ ] Outdoors

[ ] once or twice a year
[ ] once per month
[ ] twice per month
[ ] once per week
[ ] 2-3 times per week
[x] 4 + times per week

[x] trad climber (proceed to 4a.)
[ ] other (skip to 5)

[1] more challenging/thrilling style
[ ] social pressures
[2] more freedom in route selection
[ ] less crowded crags
[3] more aesthetically pleasing areas

[ ] safety aspect

[x] yes
[ ] no

[ ] under $100
[ ] $100-$249
[ ] $250-$499
[ ] $500-$749
[ ] $750-$999
[x] $1,000 or more

[ ] 8th grade or less
[ ] some high school
[x] college graduate
[ ] some graduate school

1 = Strongly Positive
2 = Somewhat Positive
3 = Neutral Feelings
4 = Somewhat Negative
5 = Strongly Negative

Environmental Aspects
Fixed anchors at the top of a climb (1) 2 3 4 5
Bolts on a climb 1 (2) 3 4 5
Rappel Slings (around boulders, trees, etc.) 1 2 3 4 (5)
Chalk use 1 (2) 3 4 5
Cleaning vegetation from a climbing route 1 (2) 3 4 5

[ ] 1
[ ] 2
[ X] 3
[ ] 4

[ ] 1
[ ] 2
[x ] 3
[ ] 4

[ x] 1
[ ] 2
[ ] 3
[ ] 4

Bats

May 5, 2011, 1:15 AM
Post #14 of 14 (5663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are boulderers not worthy to be in the survey? We get a lot flack about the crash pad and the environmet. If you want to talk about sport vs trad, well its your survey.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook