RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

dbogardus

Apr 25, 2011, 1:26 AM
Post #1 of 13 (9619 views)
Shortcut

Shooting photos on one pitch routes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm curious how most photographers get the positioning they want on short routes, or rather where rapping is available.

Do most have ascenders and go up with the climber while shooting or just camp out a good position until the climber gets closer?

Because timing and quick adjustments are so important in climbing photography, I would imagine using an ascender would be all around the way to go but I'm curious to hear other perspectives.

Partner abe_ascends

Apr 25, 2011, 3:11 AM
Post #2 of 13 (9586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbogardus] Shooting photos on one pitch routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dbogardus wrote:
I'm curious how most photographers get the positioning they want on short routes, or rather where rapping is available.

Do most have ascenders and go up with the climber while shooting or just camp out a good position until the climber gets closer?

Because timing and quick adjustments are so important in climbing photography, I would imagine using an ascender would be all around the way to go but I'm curious to hear other perspectives.

The good ones do whatever it takes to get the shot, which may involve all sorts of rigging. Check out Simon Carter's website, I'm sure I've seen a short doc of his rigging methods there at some point.

guangzhou

Apr 25, 2011, 7:30 AM
Post #3 of 13 (9541 views)
Shortcut

Re: [abe_ascends] Shooting photos on one pitch routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Realy depends on the area. Sometime I hang from the belay of the route or the next route over. I climb tree nearby, or for boulder problem, use ladders to position myself.

newrivermike

Apr 25, 2011, 1:51 PM
Post #4 of 13 (9494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's kind of sad but most of the professional pictures you see in mags are very posed. Instead of trying to quickly get into position to shoot just ask your climber to stop so you can jug up a bit or reposition. I've witnessed some pro climbers and pro photographers working together to get a good pic. It's not climbing at all. It's photography. Sometimes they will have the athlete repeat the same move 20 times, tweaking the exposure, angle, whatever. Capturing a true moment, such as a climber's eyes during an onsight effort, is much more difficult.

dbogardus

Apr 25, 2011, 2:14 PM
Post #5 of 13 (9485 views)
Shortcut

Re: [newrivermike] Shooting photos on one pitch routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

"Yo brah, just pull through that 13b roof again, I forgot I had my lens cap off".

darkgift06

Apr 25, 2011, 4:12 PM
Post #6 of 13 (9442 views)
Shortcut

Re: [abe_ascends] Shooting photos on one pitch routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

abe_ascends wrote:
dbogardus wrote:

The good ones do whatever it takes to get the shot, which may involve all sorts of rigging. Check out Simon Carter's website, I'm sure I've seen a short doc of his rigging methods there at some point.

http://www.onsight.com.au/ Simon Carter's site.

jeanneret

May 4, 2011, 1:34 AM
Post #7 of 13 (9256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [newrivermike] Shooting photos on one pitch routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

newrivermike wrote:
It's kind of sad but most of the professional pictures you see in mags are very posed. Instead of trying to quickly get into position to shoot just ask your climber to stop so you can jug up a bit or reposition. I've witnessed some pro climbers and pro photographers working together to get a good pic. It's not climbing at all. It's photography. Sometimes they will have the athlete repeat the same move 20 times, tweaking the exposure, angle, whatever. Capturing a true moment, such as a climber's eyes during an onsight effort, is much more difficult.

I understand why they do it, but I agree with you. It loses that raw emotion that you would get otherwise.

@dbogardus, I'm currently taking shots of climbers in South Korea and they don't wait for anyone. So I have to be able to set up fast. You can waste all that effort chasing a climber trying to get that shot. I suggest that you know exactly what shot you want before even setting up an anchor. That way, you know exactly where you need to be. I use a variation of the RADS system because it's quick to set up and I can rapidly change from ascending to descending. It involves one ascender, a grigri, a pulley, and a foot loop. I can have it up in less than 15 seconds.

Here's my "credentials" to back up my advice...www.jjeanneret.com

I'd be happy to send pictures of my rigging if you think it'd be helpful.

-Jean

(This post was edited by jeanneret on May 4, 2011, 1:35 AM)

cornstateclimber

May 4, 2011, 3:24 AM
Post #8 of 13 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeanneret] Shooting photos on one pitch routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what? you dont want the ass shots from the ground?

jeanneret

May 4, 2011, 4:49 AM
Post #9 of 13 (9211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cornstateclimber] Shooting photos on one pitch routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There's nothing wrong with a little booty every now and then.

pico23

May 5, 2011, 7:01 PM
Post #10 of 13 (9128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jeanneret wrote:
newrivermike wrote:

I understand why they do it, but I agree with you. It loses that raw emotion that you would get otherwise.

@dbogardus, I'm currently taking shots of climbers in South Korea and they don't wait for anyone. So I have to be able to set up fast. You can waste all that effort chasing a climber trying to get that shot. I suggest that you know exactly what shot you want before even setting up an anchor. That way, you know exactly where you need to be. I use a variation of the RADS system because it's quick to set up and I can rapidly change from ascending to descending. It involves one ascender, a grigri, a pulley, and a foot loop. I can have it up in less than 15 seconds.

-Jean

When I google RADS system, I get rape aggression defense.

I'd love to see your setup.

Thanks!

Jip182

May 5, 2011, 7:11 PM
Post #11 of 13 (9120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cool video here
http://www.iclimb.com/products/Mtn-Photographer-Clip-from-Higher-Ground.html

kachoong

May 5, 2011, 7:43 PM
Post #12 of 13 (9108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a pic I took of our own Philbox and his "trolleyline" setup. He basically uses a static line that's fixed out away from the cliff, plus the usual jugging/rapping line. It helps get out from the cliff a little. The small rope coiled in his lap is a short length to tension close to or slacken away from the pulley, which allows him to come in or out from the cliff.

guangzhou

May 6, 2011, 1:48 AM
Post #13 of 13 (9065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jeanneret wrote:
newrivermike wrote:

-Jean

Where are you shooting i Korea?

Korea, especially the long Granite cracks near Soul are on my hit list this season or next. The climbing looks excellent, especially during the week when everyone is working.

You building your own website?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook