Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Possible City of Rock's trip couple of ???
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

donald949

May 6, 2011, 2:52 PM
Post #1 of 16 (4509 views)
Shortcut

Possible City of Rock's trip couple of ???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have the great joy of having another new title at work. With that I need run the mointoring program, for which is required training in...
Idaho Falls. Looks like mid Sept if it all goes through.
First thought was POTATOES.
No actually it was City of Rocks.
Since this would involve flying I would like to keep the gear to a min. Small tent, pad, bag, harness, shoes, ATC, couple lockers.
Camping. Will the park be full over the weekend? Or can I just drive up and grab an open spot?
Climbing. How casual is this place? Are people cool let you join them for the day? Since its well off the beaten path, I'm guessing there won't be many people headed there solo trying to find other climbers. Is that a fair assesment? Or is there a central location to try to hook up with other climbers?
I was in the Alabama Hills here in CA last year, and just strolled up started talking to people and they let me jump on there TR. I offered belay slave service in return. Worked out real well, hoping to do the same there.
It looks like there are more than a few moderates, with plenty of trad and sport choices. Looks like a fun place to try to jump onto some routes while up there on business. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Partner macherry

May 6, 2011, 3:31 PM
Post #2 of 16 (4491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Possible City of Rock's trip couple of ??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

love city of rocks. been about 5 years since i've been there. september shouldn't be busy for camping, but i'd still reserve a spot.

lots of moderates!

let me know your dates!!

donald949

May 9, 2011, 8:49 AM
Post #3 of 16 (4424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Possible City of Rock's trip couple of ??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
love city of rocks. been about 5 years since i've been there. september shouldn't be busy for camping, but i'd still reserve a spot.

lots of moderates!

let me know your dates!!
Well, it looks like the training ends Sept 15th. I would like to climb 16th -18th, Fri - Sun. But again this is preliminary. Based on training I'll need for my new job.
Will there be a fair number of climbers kicking around that weekend? Its kind of a ways off the beaten path.
Don

Partner macherry

May 9, 2011, 3:08 PM
Post #4 of 16 (4398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not too sure about sept, but there always seems to be parties kicking around...especially on the weekend

donald949

Aug 19, 2011, 5:20 PM
Post #5 of 16 (4228 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Possible City of Rock's trip couple of ??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
not too sure about sept, but there always seems to be parties kicking around...especially on the weekend

The trip is on. My training and travel are booked.
I set to be free Sept 15-18, Fri-Sun to head to the City of Rocks.
The question arises. Instead of camping and dragging the camping gear on the plane, stay in a hotel outside of City of Rocks. Burley seems to have some good choices, but it looks to be 30 miles out? Is that about right? Would anyone recommend that, or recommend against that? Anyone recommend a place closer?
Still interested to hear if anyone is thinking of climbing out there those dates.
I'll be off liine for th enext couple weeks on vac, but will check back in before the trip.
Don

apolobamba

Aug 19, 2011, 7:11 PM
Post #6 of 16 (4206 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Burley is probably your best option, but it smells like a feed lot and there are no food good options. The best hotel is the Fairfield.

That being said you are missing out on lot of great climbing out by Idaho Falls. Palisades, the Fins, Pocatello, the Playground, Ririe etc. The City might be better for no partners and the is big dog in the area. You should check out SEI website. You might score a lot of after work climbing partners during your Idaho Falls visit.

donald949

Sep 7, 2011, 8:28 AM
Post #7 of 16 (4097 views)
Shortcut

Re: [apolobamba] Possible City of Rock's trip couple of ??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

apolobamba wrote:
Burley is probably your best option, but it smells like a feed lot and there are no food good options. The best hotel is the Fairfield.

That being said you are missing out on lot of great climbing out by Idaho Falls. Palisades, the Fins, Pocatello, the Playground, Ririe etc. The City might be better for no partners and the is big dog in the area. You should check out SEI website. You might score a lot of after work climbing partners during your Idaho Falls visit.
Hey good ideas. I'm free after work - training each evening. I'll have to check here for the places to climb.
Link for SEI website? Or do you mean here on Rockclimbing?
Thanks, Don

clee03m

Sep 7, 2011, 8:46 AM
Post #8 of 16 (4090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you have a bivy sack? Weather should be nice enough where you wouldn't really need a tent. 30 miles seem like a long way. Campgrounds are pretty nice there.

Eating out at the City is pretty great too. The one place where you can get food has great beef and world's best pies. Have fun!

marc801

Sep 7, 2011, 9:25 AM
Post #9 of 16 (4081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Possible City of Rock's trip couple of ??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
Do you have a bivy sack? Weather should be nice enough where you wouldn't really need a tent.

It's starting to get cooler at night and we're entering the autumn storm period, so really, anything is possible. I've had pleasant nights in the low 50's in mid-Sep. I've also been snowed on.

clee03m wrote:
30 miles seem like a long way. Campgrounds are pretty nice there.
Actually it's around 40 miles, 30 are on graded gravel/dirt roads, occasionally blocked by cattle - plan on an hour drive each way.

Frankly, one of the big appealing aspects of the City is camping out in the high plains.

kovacs69

Sep 7, 2011, 11:33 AM
Post #10 of 16 (4059 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
macherry wrote:

The trip is on. My training and travel are booked.
I set to be free Sept 15-18, Fri-Sun to head to the City of Rocks.
The question arises. Instead of camping and dragging the camping gear on the plane, stay in a hotel outside of City of Rocks. Burley seems to have some good choices, but it looks to be 30 miles out? Is that about right? Would anyone recommend that, or recommend against that? Anyone recommend a place closer?
Still interested to hear if anyone is thinking of climbing out there those dates.
I'll be off liine for th enext couple weeks on vac, but will check back in before the trip.
Don

Camping is always great at the City. If you have to stay in a hotel the closest one is in Almo. http://www.almocreek.com/lodging/

It is expensive but the rooms are very nice. Eat at the cafe there. The steaks are the best!!! Get there early though because it closes at 7pm. Grab a cinnamon roll from there for breakfast.

If you got a day go to Castle Rock just down the street.

JB

apolobamba

Sep 7, 2011, 3:37 PM
Post #11 of 16 (4033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.seiclimbing.com/ - They have a forum that never seemed to work for me, but they have a lot better information on the crags and happenings in that part of the world.

donald949

Sep 9, 2011, 12:02 PM
Post #12 of 16 (3996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all thanks for the info.
I might drag a bag and bivey sac, but prolly end up at one of these hotels. We'll see how much room is in the old luggage.
Looking forward to it.

donald949

Sep 20, 2011, 9:33 AM
Post #13 of 16 (3903 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Success!
One of the guys at the company I was taking training at is big on climbing. A freind of his wanted to hit the City on Sunday, so I got an invite to come along. Smile
But for the most part walking around Saturday, before they got out there, I didn't really see anyone looking for partners. Most people were already partnered up, and most of the rocks were a little high to just set up a TR. The only place I saw people ganging up on a TR was Practice Wall. I didn't do much asking around though since I knew I had some partners coming in on Sun.
Anyrate on Sunday I got on Bumble Wall. We did Mystery Bolter, New York is Not a City, and Toooooo Much Fun. All good long, and for me streanous, climbs. Deff a good day's outing.
Smile

(This post was edited by donald949 on Sep 20, 2011, 10:00 AM)

donald949

Sep 20, 2011, 9:59 AM
Post #14 of 16 (3895 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

apolobamba wrote:

I ended up staying in Burley. Weather forcast before I left promised rain Sat/Sun. Turned out Fri was the day for rain.
But here is the scoop on Hotels.
Burley Farfeild is new and very nice. Decent hot Breakfast. $85 per night AAA price. Indoor pool, but no outdoors area for lounging.
Burley Best Western is also nice. Also $85 AAA with a good breakfast. The hotel has outside room doors instead of inside that the Fairfeild does. Some of the furniture is dated but in good shape. The bathroom was modern. Overall its older, but has nice outside pool/area. Since I got in early Sat afternoon, I just kicked back by the pool and did some reading.
Burley Budget Motel adverts in the RoomSaver books at $50. But decided against it in favor the BW on the second night, as I was wanting to sit outside and read.
Burley food. The Mexican place right next door was good. There were also a number of Chains and fastfood options.
Almo Inn. Not that more expensive $100. If I had climbed all day Sat, and was just looking to crash, I might have stayed there. But since I was moving out mid afternoon with time to kill, I moved on.
Again everyone, thanks for all the info. Deff had a good time on Sun, pulling pretty hard for me.

damienclimber

Sep 20, 2011, 11:13 PM
Post #15 of 16 (3830 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
apolobamba wrote:

I ended up staying in Burley. Weather forcast before I left promised rain Sat/Sun. Turned out Fri was the day for rain.
Burley Farfeild is new and very nice. Decent hot Breakfast. $85 per night AAA price. Indoor pool, but no outdoors area for lounging.
Burley Best Western is also nice. Also $85 AAA with a good breakfast. The hotel has outside room doors instead of inside that the Fairfeild does. Some of the furniture is dated but in good shape. The bathroom was modern. Overall its older, but has nice outside pool/area. Since I got in early Sat afternoon, I just kicked back by the pool and did some reading.
Burley Budget Motel adverts in the RoomSaver books at $50. But decided against it in favor the BW on the second night, as I was wanting to sit outside and read.
Burley food. The Mexican place right next door was good. There were also a number of Chains and fastfood options.
Almo Inn. Not that more expensive $100. If I had climbed all day Sat, and was just looking to crash, I might have stayed there. But since I was moving out mid afternoon with time to kill, I moved on.
Again everyone, thanks for all the info. Deff had a good time on Sun, pulling pretty hard for me.

gosh you missed out on camping there! its a fun quiet place, and you get to see cowboys and lots of cattle heeler dogs.
Oh btw cowboys enjoy a little teasing!
climbing is sweet, great routes,great rock . Its one of those places people are actually good natured.
But way expensive for camping, food, especially french fries.

donald949

Sep 22, 2011, 10:38 AM
Post #16 of 16 (3793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Possible City of Rock's trip couple of ??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

damienclimber wrote:
donald949 wrote:
apolobamba wrote:

gosh you missed out on camping there! its a fun quiet place, and you get to see cowboys and lots of cattle heeler dogs.
Oh btw cowboys enjoy a little teasing!
climbing is sweet, great routes,great rock . Its one of those places people are actually good natured.
But way expensive for camping, food, especially french fries.
We ended up at the Sage cafe (inn?) for dinner Sunday night, in Albian. And Yes it was a little expensive, a little. The pulled pork sandwitch was good, though it could have used some more BBQ sauce.
I did score a room at the Motel 6 in Pacatello for $39 sunday night!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook