RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

BigBob13

May 8, 2011, 5:15 PM
Post #1 of 13 (5568 views)
Shortcut

Training while stuck at home
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Over the summer, i will be stuck at home. It is very unlikely that i will get out to climb or make it to a gym over the summer. I need to find something i can do/build at my home to let me train and get stronger over the summer. I would love to come out of the summer stronger than ever. I have a hang-board mounted here and would love to build a campus board, but am not sure i am ready for one. I am worried about a camps boards effects on my tendons as i have only been climbing for 2 years, only climb V5 and weigh 210 lbs( not fat, i have an detrimental to climbing obsession with picking up really heavy things). I will not lose weight to gain climbing ability, i like my muscle mass as it is, i would simply like to get stronger. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

(This post was edited by BigBob13 on May 8, 2011, 5:22 PM)

rtwilli4

May 8, 2011, 7:10 PM
Post #2 of 13 (5545 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BigBob13] Training while stuck at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Well the obvious answer is to lose 30 pounds over summer and don't worry to much about climbing, but that's not the answer you are looking for.

A hangboard/campus board isn't going to do much for you if you aren't actually climbing. The only way to "come out of the summer stronger than ever" is to climb a lot. Sounds like the only way for you to do that is to build a woody.

But my advice is to just find something else to do for a few months.

ceebo

May 9, 2011, 1:13 PM
Post #3 of 13 (5471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BigBob13 wrote:
Over the summer, i will be stuck at home. It is very unlikely that i will get out to climb or make it to a gym over the summer. I need to find something i can do/build at my home to let me train and get stronger over the summer. I would love to come out of the summer stronger than ever. I have a hang-board mounted here and would love to build a campus board, but am not sure i am ready for one. I am worried about a camps boards effects on my tendons as i have only been climbing for 2 years, only climb V5 and weigh 210 lbs( not fat, i have an detrimental to climbing obsession with picking up really heavy things). I will not lose weight to gain climbing ability, i like my muscle mass as it is, i would simply like to get stronger. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

I don't think you can get significantly stronger for climbing with ought losing something in your lifting area. You don't want to make that sacrifice, so their is no real help for you.

If you are happy in what you can climb already and enjoy it, then forget about climbing harder?. If your not, then you know what you can do to change it.

ghisino

May 9, 2011, 1:51 PM
Post #4 of 13 (5467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you don't want to lose weight nor to build a woodie, just hangboard, campus and do some front levers or similar exercises.

don't expect to get any stronger in a "climbing grade" sense.
you'll probably get worse.

still, better than doing nothing and you could raise your "potential" a bit

BigBob13

May 10, 2011, 12:14 AM
Post #5 of 13 (5413 views)
Shortcut

Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, since yall say i have to lose weight i will concede 10 lbs. i Would prefer not to, but i would realy like to continue to improve. If i am building something, how much harder is it to build a woody over a campus board. I am rebuilding decks this summer so wood is a non issue

boadman

May 10, 2011, 5:35 PM
Post #6 of 13 (5374 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Training while stuck at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
Well the obvious answer is to lose 30 pounds over summer and don't worry to much about climbing, but that's not the answer you are looking for.

A hangboard/campus board isn't going to do much for you if you aren't actually climbing. The only way to "come out of the summer stronger than ever" is to climb a lot. Sounds like the only way for you to do that is to build a woody.

Actually, I think a summer of hangboarding would have a pretty huge affect. I didn't climb at all this winter (november-march) and started this season signifigantly stronger than I was in the fall. I did 30 minute hangboard exercises 3 times/week.

ceebo

May 11, 2011, 1:45 AM
Post #7 of 13 (5304 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boadman] Training while stuck at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

boadman wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

Actually, I think a summer of hangboarding would have a pretty huge affect. I didn't climb at all this winter (november-march) and started this season signifigantly stronger than I was in the fall. I did 30 minute hangboard exercises 3 times/week.

I don't doubt it, many will.

A strong climber with bad technique.. or a weak climber with bad technique. Their not one and the same.

altelis

May 11, 2011, 8:38 PM
Post #8 of 13 (5245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BigBob13 wrote:

in no particular order:
*hangboard

*cardio (run, bike, swim, all three)
-often finding a good goal to motivate is the best for
keeping up commitment. find a race(s) throughout
the summer or at the end to work towards.

*lifting
-probably stay away from the low reps/high weights
and move to the opposite

*plyometrics

you can combine the last 2 by doing something like P90x, cross-fit or stuff from gym jones. none of this is going to improve your climbing directly, but getting into wicked good strength is always going to give results. you'll probably notice the results the most not when you first start climbing again, but after a couple weeks, when the gained strength/stamina serves as an underpinning to the regained technique and flow...

BigBob13

May 12, 2011, 2:21 AM
Post #9 of 13 (5218 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Training while stuck at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So it seems as though i should just keep doing what i have been. I have been hang boarding, doing millions of pullups, lots of core work and lifting (not specifically focused on climbing however shoulder strength seems to be helping my bouldering). I guess i will have to take the hit technique wise. At least i should come back with a stronger base strength

altelis

May 12, 2011, 2:32 AM
Post #10 of 13 (5213 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BigBob13 wrote:
So it seems as though i should just keep doing what i have been. I have been hang boarding, doing millions of pullups, lots of core work and lifting (not specifically focused on climbing however shoulder strength seems to be helping my bouldering). I guess i will have to take the hit technique wise. At least i should come back with a stronger base strength

Actually, I don't think that's what I was recommending at all. I would do FULL BODY workouts. Cardio + plyo's are, I think, going to help out the most. Maybe Jay will have more to add...

BigBob13

May 12, 2011, 2:53 AM
Post #11 of 13 (5208 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Training while stuck at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, i did not fully cover my lifting. It is full body. I Olympic lift A LOT, which most definitely is full body. I also already do plyos for my general athleticism. The shoulders are done for vanity. I guess my weak area is cardio, i erg a decent amount and have my resting heart rate down to 52 however running is a nightmare for me.

(This post was edited by BigBob13 on May 12, 2011, 2:59 AM)

enigma

May 12, 2011, 4:29 AM
Post #12 of 13 (5187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

BigBob13 wrote:
Ok, i did not fully cover my lifting. It is full body. I Olympic lift A LOT, which most definitely is full body. I also already do plyos for my general athleticism. The shoulders are done for vanity. I guess my weak area is cardio, i erg a decent amount and have my resting heart rate down to 52 however running is a nightmare for me.

Ok, I have a great solution .
1. Get an indoor cardio workout, like a treadmill, rowing machine,or indoor bike
2. Make a climbing wall in your house
3. STAY AWAY FROM COOKIES AND PIZZA
4. Keep your sweatshirt on so you sweat
5. If all else fails, get a exercise video
6 STAY AWAY FROM ICE CREAM and NACHOS
7. Get a pullup bar and do 100 everyday
8. Drink more water
9. P.M Flesh (don't be surprised if he isn't real)
10. Have X
Cool
Oh, one last thing no more beer

(This post was edited by enigma on May 12, 2011, 4:45 AM)

ceebo

May 12, 2011, 3:13 PM
Post #13 of 13 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Training while stuck at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
BigBob13 wrote:

Ok, I have a great solution .
1. Get an indoor cardio workout, like a treadmill, rowing machine,or indoor bike
2. Make a climbing wall in your house
3. STAY AWAY FROM COOKIES AND PIZZA
4. Keep your sweatshirt on so you sweat
5. If all else fails, get a exercise video
6 STAY AWAY FROM ICE CREAM and NACHOS
7. Get a pullup bar and do 100 everyday
8. Drink more water
9. P.M Flesh (don't be surprised if he isn't real)
10. Have X
Cool
Oh, one last thing no more beer

He can see clearly now.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook