Premier Sponsor:

styndall

May 10, 2011, 12:36 PM
Post #1 of 11 (726 views)
Shortcut

Car Roof Racks?
Report this Post
Can't Post

So I'm coming to terms with having to live in Michigan for another couple of years, so I bought a kayak. It's not climbing, but it's outdoors, and I don't have to drive to Kentucky to paddle.

I'm looking for opinions on Thule and Yakima roof racks. I figure a bunch of you will have boats or bikes, and someone must have tried both. Googling doesn't show much in the way of preferences, but I'd like to hear from people who've tried them.

Do you have a Yakima or Thule roof rack? Do you like it? Does it feel steady? I'm driving a mid-90s two-door Civic, if that's important. Really short roofline.

saint_john

May 10, 2011, 1:03 PM
Post #2 of 11 (716 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] Car Roof Racks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
So I'm coming to terms with having to live in Michigan for another couple of years, so I bought a kayak. It's not climbing, but it's outdoors, and I don't have to drive to Kentucky to paddle.

I'm looking for opinions on Thule and Yakima roof racks. I figure a bunch of you will have boats or bikes, and someone must have tried both. Googling doesn't show much in the way of preferences, but I'd like to hear from people who've tried them.

Do you have a Yakima or Thule roof rack? Do you like it? Does it feel steady? I'm driving a mid-90s two-door Civic, if that's important. Really short roofline.

I sold both Yakima and Thule back in my bike shop days. I've always perfered Yakima. In terms of quality, there isn't much difference. Yakima does seem to make a wider range a product for more applications. Yakima products will hold their value more if you ever want to sell, mainly becuse of better name recognition.

Yakima make a product called the Q Stretch Kit that will compensate for your short roofline. I've used that kit on a 2 door Ford Focus. It works great.

(This post was edited by saint_john on May 10, 2011, 1:05 PM)

granite_grrl

May 10, 2011, 1:12 PM
Post #3 of 11 (710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to butt in here and mention that I have a set of Q28 clips that I can no longer use since I got rid of my Alero.

I am also looking for a set of Q99 clips for my Fit if anyone has some laying around they're looking to get rid of.

Angelic

caughtinside

May 10, 2011, 1:16 PM
Post #4 of 11 (706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:

Both brands are quality and bomber in terms of the feet and bars. I have no experience with the various mounts for kayaks, which mostly seem quite large and I'd imagine kill aerodynamics. My few ventures kayaking we just used the bars and tie down straps.

That stuff is somewhat expensive, keep an eye on craigslist.

arrettinator

May 11, 2011, 6:18 AM
Post #5 of 11 (675 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Car Roof Racks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
we just used the bars and tie down straps.

That stuff is somewhat expensive, keep an eye on craigslist.
I'll ditto that.
Having 3 kids, we have a minivan w/ the roof rack, and I tie my kayak right to the bars. I can fit 2 up there, but it's a tight fit. I got this for my Ford Focus for $30, but mine's a 4 door. I passed on the 2 door civic way back when and I'm glad I did.

scrapedape

May 11, 2011, 7:13 AM
Post #6 of 11 (667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We've got a Thule rack on our Fit and it's been good to us so far. No experience with Yakima racks.

As I recall, the takeaway from my research on this topic seemed to be that there wasn't a lot to choose between the two. We ended up going with Thule because we found a good deal on some of the components at an REI attic sale. Then we got the rest of the components on sale. I feel like this stuff goes on sale once or twice a year at REI and EMS for 20% off, but I've never seen it for more than 20% off when new.

chadnsc

May 11, 2011, 7:48 AM
Post #7 of 11 (665 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrapedape] Car Roof Racks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
We've got a Thule rack on our Fit and it's been good to us so far. No experience with Yakima racks.

As I recall, the takeaway from my research on this topic seemed to be that there wasn't a lot to choose between the two. We ended up going with Thule because we found a good deal on some of the components at an REI attic sale. Then we got the rest of the components on sale. I feel like this stuff goes on sale once or twice a year at REI and EMS for 20% off, but I've never seen it for more than 20% off when new.

It's good to know that a roof rack will fit on a smaller hatchback. I have a Toyota Yaris and have been thinking about a roof rack.

scrapedape

May 11, 2011, 8:07 AM
Post #8 of 11 (655 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Car Roof Racks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
scrapedape wrote:

It's good to know that a roof rack will fit on a smaller hatchback. I have a Toyota Yaris and have been thinking about a roof rack.

It fits just fine all right. We got the Atlantis 1600 XT roof box. I was worried that it would be bigger than the car, would be unstable, would look funny, etc. But it's a good match and is just about the ideal solution for us. With a baby and a big dog, we need the extra space for weekend trips. But 90-95% of the time we don't need the extra space, and the Fit is really the ideal vehicle for where we live - dense inner suburbs, on-street parking, narrow streets.

styndall

May 11, 2011, 8:58 AM
Post #9 of 11 (648 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] Car Roof Racks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I went with a Yakima kit, and the stretch kit works great. With how old my car is, I expect the rack is worth more than the vehicle it's attached to. It sure cost more than my kayak.

chadnsc

May 11, 2011, 9:07 AM
Post #10 of 11 (644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrapedape] Car Roof Racks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
scrapedape wrote:

It fits just fine all right. We got the Atlantis 1600 XT roof box. I was worried that it would be bigger than the car, would be unstable, would look funny, etc. But it's a good match and is just about the ideal solution for us. With a baby and a big dog, we need the extra space for weekend trips. But 90-95% of the time we don't need the extra space, and the Fit is really the ideal vehicle for where we live - dense inner suburbs, on-street parking, narrow streets.

Very good to hear! Like you we live in a town with high density and narrow streets. Unlike you though we don't yet have a dog or a wee one. Wink

I have found that the Yaris works well for road trips though; 35-38 mpg on the innerstate with plenty of room for two people and gear.

freezorburn

May 18, 2011, 9:11 AM
Post #11 of 11 (591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yakima or Thule are going to cost bucks. Ebay it Yakima is first choice.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$4.46 (10% off)
$16.16 (10% off)
$17.95 (10% off)
$3.56 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook