Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Best Sport Climbing Destination in TN
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

yarbrot

May 11, 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #1 of 4 (7514 views)
Shortcut

Best Sport Climbing Destination in TN  (North_America: United_States: Tennessee)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all -

I am moving from Lexington KY to Nashville TN and I am looking for a new place to sport climb within a reasonable driving distance. I have been climbing at the RRG for the past 2 years and am close to sending my first 5.12 at the Red. However, since it's almost 5 hours away I need a closer place to climb and want some local opinions.

King's Bluff is the closest, but there doesn't seem to have too many routes bolted

Foster Falls is a little further and I would like to know if it would be worth the extra driving time in terms of quality.

Finally, the Obed is the furthest away but seems similar stylistically to the Red (we hate slab in KY).

Any comments would be greatly appreciated on the best place between these three to climb some quality sport lines.

aburdette

May 12, 2011, 5:15 AM
Post #2 of 4 (7487 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yarbrot] Best Sport Climbing Destination in TN [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

try the Chattanooga area. there is a store named Rock Creek Outfitters and they are the all around best in the business. they can help you with all the gear needs and any questions you have. the owner is good friends with a few of the pro climbers like Lisa Rands and Sharma.

justanotherclimber

May 12, 2011, 6:44 AM
Post #3 of 4 (7479 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aburdette] Best Sport Climbing Destination in TN [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the obed is pretty cool- 2.5hrs is no biggie in the SE, the crew from Knoxville drive 3 every weekend to the red.

google maps says the southern region is only 4.5hrs away, which means you could probably do it in 4- close enough. loads of people drive alot further than that every weekend to climb at the red.

chattanooga is pretty sweet, though- and at only 2hrs away, you'll find some damn good climbing there. i'd say its worth learning to plug gear for.

GhandiOwnsYou

May 16, 2011, 2:48 AM
Post #4 of 4 (7416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yarbrot] Best Sport Climbing Destination in TN [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Really have to disagree with you on the Kings Bluff assessment. It's not a mammoth area, but the entire cliff line for the length of the property is bolted for sport. There are very few gaps for nearly a half mile. I've been climbing it for 4 years now as my regular area, and I haven't gotten bored yet. A rope and a set of 6 or 8 draws will get you up 95% of the rock there, and from Nashville you're only 45 minutes out.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook