RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

ceebo

May 13, 2011, 5:16 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2852 views)
Shortcut

Short arms?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

A few of my friends are very similar height to me from foot to head, if not their slightly smaller. However, at arms length they all seem to out reach me by a inch (I worded this best i could to avoid the obvious, but feel free to insert cock jokes).

I assumed being taller than they (even though i am quite small anyway) would = a longer reach?. Do i have shorter arms, do they have longer arms?. Is it in the legs, maybe torso or what?. Could it also be body posture?.

shockabuku

May 13, 2011, 5:54 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2840 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Short arms? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
A few of my friends are very similar height to me from foot to head, if not their slightly smaller. However, at arms length they all seem to out reach me by a inch (I worded this best i could to avoid the obvious, but feel free to insert cock jokes).

I assumed being taller than they (even though i am quite small anyway) would = a longer reach?. Do i have shorter arms, do they have longer arms?. Is it in the legs, maybe torso or what?. Could it also be body posture?.

Happy to oblige.

Maybe you should have a short arm inspection to find out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...Short-arm_inspection

lena_chita

May 13, 2011, 6:53 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not sure why this is news to you, but yes, there is a variation in people's arms length vs. their height.

Have you heard of the term "ape index"?

It is pretty common for people's arm span to be the same as their height (Ape index=0). If the armspan is longer than height, the person is said to have a positive ape index. And some people have shorter arms (negative ape index)

Many climbers have positive ape index-- by 1- or two inches, but sometimes the difference is as much as 4 extra inches of armspan, compared to height. Positive ape index is generally seen as an advantage to climbers.

I have a friend whose ape index is about -3. She is taller than me by couple inches, but I have a slightly positive ape index, so our armspan is about equal. There are many situations where it does make a visible difference to how we climb. Even though our armspan is about the same, we often have to come up with completely different beta for the same climb.

ceebo

May 13, 2011, 7:19 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2808 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Short arms? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
I am not sure why this is news to you, but yes, there is a variation in people's arms length vs. their height.

It is pretty common for people's arm span to be the same as their height (Ape index=0). If the armspan is longer than height, the person is said to have a positive ape index. And some people have shorter arms (negative ape index)

Many climbers have positive ape index-- by 1- or two inches, but sometimes the difference is as much as 4 extra inches of armspan, compared to height. Positive ape index is generally seen as an advantage to climbers.

I have a friend whose ape index is about -3. She is taller than me by couple inches, but I have a slightly positive ape index, so our armspan is about equal. There are many situations where it does make a visible difference to how we climb. Even though our armspan is about the same, we often have to come up with completely different beta for the same climb.

I see, thnx for the post.

I just checked the measurements and it seems i am actually 1 inch positive. So i guess their even more lucky than me.

(This post was edited by ceebo on May 13, 2011, 7:23 AM)

flesh

May 13, 2011, 12:17 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

I just checked the measurements and it seems i am actually 1 inch positive. So i guess their even more lucky than me.

There are times when having longer arms is better for reach and there are times when having longer legs is better for reach. I wouldn't worry about it to much. Same goes for height. Also, my arms aren't that long for my height however because I have broad shoulders, I have a plus 2.5 inch ape index. So when reaching straight up, there's not much advantage in reach but when reaching sideways there is.

If anything if you look at most of the top climbers today there's a trend towards simply being smaller/lighter is better whereas 20 plus years ago when we we're much further from the limits, people generally thought being taller was better.

cacalderon

May 13, 2011, 7:34 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

google "ape index"

sungam

May 14, 2011, 8:51 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

Suckah! I got at least 6 inches extra. Go go gadet ARMS!

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook