Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Yosemite Snow Messed up my plans! Help
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jcherson

May 14, 2011, 2:18 AM
Post #1 of 10 (5274 views)
Shortcut

Yosemite Snow Messed up my plans! Help  (North_America: United_States: California: San_Francisco_Bay)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I just graduated college and I had a 3.5 week climbing trip planned for Yosemite with my friend but it seems as if mother nature wants winter to last a little longer in the high sierra. We are flying into San Fran on the 25th may and would appreciate any suggestions about alternatives for great sport climbing where we can also camp. Please help!

(This post was edited by jcherson on May 14, 2011, 2:22 AM)

dugl33

May 14, 2011, 3:34 AM
Post #2 of 10 (5247 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jcherson] Yosemite Snow Messed up my plans! Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jcherson wrote:
So I just graduated college and I had a 3.5 week climbing trip planned for Yosemite with my friend but it seems as if mother nature wants winter to last a little longer in the high sierra. We are flying into San Fran on the 25th may and would appreciate any suggestions about alternatives for great sport climbing where we can also camp. Please help!

Let's see -- you have 3.5 weeks starting the 25th of May(?) So what exactly is the problem?

Any significant snow in the Valley proper will likely be long gone by then.

On the other hand, you won't find a lot of sport climbing in Yosemite, so I'm not sure I follow your line of thought...

jcherson

May 14, 2011, 5:23 AM
Post #3 of 10 (5220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] Yosemite Snow Messed up my plans! Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for helping,

Well, my friend is planning most of the trip and mentioned good sport climbing in Mammoth Lakes area around Yosemite. Regardless, apparently the high country has received tons of snow the past two days and won't be accessible for another month or so. If anyone has a better idea on what is going on in Yosemite area right now please let me know.

dugl33

May 14, 2011, 6:06 AM
Post #4 of 10 (5213 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is good sport climbing at Owens River Gorge near Bishop and the Alabama Hills near Lone Pine, (if its not too hot yet.) There is also sport climbing near Jamestown or at the Pinnacles south of Hollister.

Conditions in Mammoth Lakes can be dramatically different than Yosemite Valley or Bishop, and Tioga Pass won't open until some time in July.

Facelyss

May 14, 2011, 1:35 PM
Post #5 of 10 (5162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd go with Owen's River Gorge if I were you for sport climbing. Like the others said, there isn't a whole lot in Yosemite. The Gorge has been clear of snow and fun for the last month or two now. There are plenty of other places around Mammoth Lakes too if you get bored on the 600+ routes in there. Going to be a bit of a drive from San Fran though...

jcherson

May 14, 2011, 3:48 PM
Post #6 of 10 (5142 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Facelyss] Yosemite Snow Messed up my plans! Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Will I be able to camp at Owens River Gorge?

dugl33

May 14, 2011, 4:37 PM
Post #7 of 10 (5136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jcherson wrote:
Will I be able to camp at Owens River Gorge?

There is no camping at the Gorge itself (the land is owned by Los Angeles Water and Power District). There is BLM camping reasonably nearby though at the Pit, Horton Creek Campground, and others. Primitive camping, i.e. picnic table and outhouse but no water, is about $5 per night.

msaks

May 14, 2011, 8:07 PM
Post #8 of 10 (5104 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] Yosemite Snow Messed up my plans! Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There's is free camping in the Pinyon forest just past the parking area for the upper gorge. Much nicer, IMO, than the Pit (which is now closed for the season) and the Pleasant Valley campground.

justanotherclimber

May 14, 2011, 10:12 PM
Post #9 of 10 (5076 views)
Shortcut

Re: [msaks] Yosemite Snow Messed up my plans! Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you'll want to pick a side of the sierra and approach from either east or west. ORG, Mammoth, etc, etc, wont be easily accessible from San Fran due to the passes being closed- you'll want to fly into Reno or Vegas for that (depending on prices).

the valley, though, will be nice in late may- temps will be good, climbing will be great.

donald949

May 16, 2011, 6:27 PM
Post #10 of 10 (4991 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justanotherclimber] Yosemite Snow Messed up my plans! Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justanotherclimber wrote:
you'll want to pick a side of the sierra and approach from either east or west. ORG, Mammoth, etc, etc, wont be easily accessible from San Fran due to the passes being closed- you'll want to fly into Reno or Vegas for that (depending on prices).

the valley, though, will be nice in late may- temps will be good, climbing will be great.
Yes, fly to reno or Las Vegas.
OP, if you are locked in to tickets to SF, just drive past Reno down to Mammoth/Bishop/Lone Pine. Well you do have 3+ weeks, so don't worry about couple extra hours of driving.
In addition to Alabama Hills in Lone Pine, ORG in Bishop, you can hit Clark's Canyon right out of Mammoth when the other 2 areas get too warm.
Otherwise, I don't know the sport crags on the west side, if there are any?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook