Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Camping Warning
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

GhandiOwnsYou

May 15, 2011, 3:22 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1875 views)
Shortcut

Camping Warning  (North_America: United_States: Georgia: Georgia_North: Rocktown)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is old news to most, but just so no one gets messed up here... There are several guidebooks, both online and in print, that state that camping on the road leading in to the parking lot is allowed, so long as you do not pass the trailhead. I trusted these, and was told by a park ranger on our third morning that camping outside of the designated area carried a $400 dollar fine. Luckily he took pity on our party after we showed him the commercial guidebook, and let us off with a warning. Maps with the designated sites are available at the check station by the park entrance.

This goes two fold for regulars. We (out of towners) had been camped there for two days before the ranger caught us, with probably 3 dozen cars coming in and out right past us. Not one of them stopped to correct our mistake. We don't want to cause access issues, if we had been corrected, we would have quickly moved rather than be "those guys." If you know, please give folks a heads up before an official has to.

styndall

May 15, 2011, 5:50 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1812 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GhandiOwnsYou] Camping Warning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Where were you guys camped? I've been pretty far down Rocktown road before, and the rangers have never bothered me.

GhandiOwnsYou

May 15, 2011, 7:38 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1768 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] Camping Warning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The leveled off, slightly worn down area to the right off the road, if you're facing the trailhead. Just about 75 yards back from the parking lot. I've actually camped there once before and was not bothered either, but according to the ranger this policy has been in effect since '05. Luck of the draw I guess.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook