Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Xendz

May 15, 2011, 6:17 PM
Post #1 of 64 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Belaying Device on Top Rope Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone im very new and at a beginner level when it comes to rock climbing, although I love the sport so far, and have done lots of research. Sometimes it is very hard to find the answers to the questions I need, so im posting here looking for alittle help.

Can anyone give any help, guide, or video on setting a belay device at the top of a rope? What I am really interested in is, does it catch you most of the time if you fall, and how do you belay yourself if you use a GriGri at the top, wouldn't you need to hold the lever down? Thanks guys

smallclimber

May 15, 2011, 6:46 PM
Post #2 of 64 (7769 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Xendz] Belaying Device on Top Rope Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A new twist on the question "how does the rope get up there"....now we have "how does the belay device get up there?"

Sorry, not sure what the question really is?

Xendz

May 15, 2011, 6:55 PM
Post #3 of 64 (7762 views)
Shortcut

Re: [smallclimber] Belaying Device on Top Rope Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, at bells isle there is a bunch of different level walls you can climb, you can take the trail up to the top of them, secure urself hang down and tie the rope or belaying device however you like, im just wondering if you set the belay device at the top of the rope (grigri) would u have to press down the lever to lower you? or is there another way?

TarHeelEMT

May 15, 2011, 7:29 PM
Post #4 of 64 (7738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Xendz wrote:
Hey everyone im very new and at a beginner level when it comes to rock climbing, although I love the sport so far, and have done lots of research. Sometimes it is very hard to find the answers to the questions I need, so im posting here looking for alittle help.

Can anyone give any help, guide, or video on setting a belay device at the top of a rope? What I am really interested in is, does it catch you most of the time if you fall, and how do you belay yourself if you use a GriGri at the top, wouldn't you need to hold the lever down? Thanks guys

Out of curiosity, would you climb on something that catches you only most of the times you fall?

Self-belaying on top rope is one of those things where I'm just going to advise you to take a step back and work on the basics first. It's not that difficult to do, but it takes a certain conceptual framework that it sounds like you're still working on. Keep climbing with a partner, keep your eyes open, and you'll come closer to the answer. When that happens, I'm sure folks will be happy to give you answers to the focused questions that remain.

(This post was edited by TarHeelEMT on May 15, 2011, 8:12 PM)

Xendz

May 15, 2011, 8:35 PM
Post #5 of 64 (7705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice, i definitely dont climb on my own, and i dont plan on self belaying i just want that extra protection, i was thinking of something to automatically catch me when i fall along with someone else on the ground for the extra belay? mabey im thinking of something not possible, but this is why im asking for help? or any advice on other belaying thats better then what i am thinking of?

Kartessa

May 15, 2011, 8:51 PM
Post #6 of 64 (7697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you have a partner who you can trust to keep a hand on the brake strand, you won't need to be looking for some sort of backup self-belay.

If you have questions on how to belay a toprope safely, most gyms offer lessons for less than the price of a couple carabiners, it may be a good place to start.

Xendz

May 15, 2011, 8:53 PM
Post #7 of 64 (7695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

mabey so ive always been a self taught person, just thought i could ask around and get all the information I needed here. So back to my orginal question.

Using a grigri at the top of the rope, and a extra person on the ground to make sure I dont fall. Would that work or would i have to press the lever on the belay device?

Kartessa

May 15, 2011, 8:58 PM
Post #8 of 64 (7690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Xendz wrote:
mabey so ive always been a self taught person, just thought i could ask around and get all the information I needed here. So back to my orginal question.

Using a grigri at the top of the rope, and a extra person on the ground to make sure I dont fall. Would that work or would i have to press the lever on the belay device?

I'm still having trouble understanding the question... You want a belayer above AND below?

I'm really going to recommend taking a lesson, there's no shame in learning from someone who's experienced and frankly, trying to self-teach something that you're so intent on McGyver-ing not only puts yourself in danger, but also puts you at risk of hurting someone else.

Swallow your pride, and ask for help. Not on the internet.

justanotherclimber

May 15, 2011, 9:06 PM
Post #9 of 64 (7685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Belaying Device on Top Rope Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the OP is asking if they can use a GriGri in place of a locking carabiner at the master point. basically, the grigri as a pulley that would lock in the event of a fall.

the simple answer is...no. the GriGri is a locking assist belay device that needs an operator to use properly.

part of climbing is having a partner that you literally trust with your life every time you tie into the rope. if you dont have a partner you can trust this to, then you need to find one. your local gym is a good place to start.

Kartessa

May 15, 2011, 9:10 PM
Post #10 of 64 (7681 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justanotherclimber] Belaying Device on Top Rope Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justanotherclimber wrote:
the OP is asking if they can use a GriGri in place of a locking carabiner at the master point. basically, the grigri as a pulley that would lock in the event of a fall.

the simple answer is...no. the GriGri is a locking assist belay device that needs an operator to use properly.

part of climbing is having a partner that you literally trust with your life every time you tie into the rope. if you dont have a partner you can trust this to, then you need to find one. your local gym is a good place to start.

Thx Wink

Xendz

May 15, 2011, 9:14 PM
Post #11 of 64 (7679 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

justanotherclimber that is exactly what i needed to know thanks, sorry for the hard to understand question. And everyone else thanks for your input ill take everything said into consideration, and I think i have a few people in mind, these walls arnt to huge and i plan on mastering all of them before doing something extreme like seen on most of the videos here. One more question, ive seen on videos where the climber also belays himself, anyone have special tips for that, and could u do that and have someone else hold the brake rope for you considering the other person does not have a harnest?

justanotherclimber

May 15, 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #12 of 64 (7650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're self belaying, you don't have another person in the system at all. Self belaying is considered a fairly advanced skill- you should master the basics first.

And both climbers in the system need harnesses. Not optional.

jt512

May 15, 2011, 10:11 PM
Post #13 of 64 (7648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

What xendz wrote:
What the post sounded like to most of us:
Rgvzp z grigri vy stx bai tm csf rope, cpa e fnmzk person jx lqr ground gy bjxr opdj a ssdc fall. Cwbft odrs vyeg az ijxnw l baxo yg orkqv xch bsyfw oj kzx belay device?
What justanotherclimber figured out the post actually meant:
the OP is asking if they can use a GriGri in place of a locking carabiner at the master point.
Justanotherclimber, that's quite impressive. Do you speak Jacque, too? Ceebo?

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on May 16, 2011, 1:05 AM)

amyas

May 15, 2011, 10:45 PM
Post #14 of 64 (7634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First of all.. you should teach interstellar communications or something justanother, impressive dechipiring! As for the horrendous idea of the OP... look up the bachmann hitch. It will do what youre asking about, a trustworthy sometimes selftending hitch that may or may not have the friction you need to catch you if your belayer drops you. If you find it locking up on you just put a sling through the carabiner and run the other end of it to your mouth. Keep the sling end in your mouth all the time and it should keep the hitch sliding up the rope as you climb.

P.S. please dont actually try that. Now que me up a witty JT remark, its the main thing that keeps me checking this site out.

StuMsg

May 16, 2011, 5:32 AM
Post #15 of 64 (7568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you did use a grigri at the top, you would need to remove it before being lowered which, depending on your experience, could be more dangerous overall. If you dont know how to do that safely then dont bother with the idea. I wouldn't.

Also if your did this the belayer (I assume they are also new to the sport?) will not experience taking a climbers falls and likley pay less attention as the top grigri does work for them.

Why not give your belayer the grigri?

blueeyedclimber

May 16, 2011, 5:57 AM
Post #16 of 64 (7558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Xendz wrote:

justanotherclimber that is exactly what i needed to know thanks, sorry for the hard to understand question. And everyone else thanks for your input ill take everything said into consideration, and I think i have a few people in mind, these walls arnt to huge and i plan on mastering all of them before doing something extreme like seen on most of the videos here. One more question, ive seen on videos where the climber also belays himself, anyone have special tips for that, and could u do that and have someone else hold the brake rope for you considering the other person does not have a harnest?

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...0innovation;#2363707

Josh

ceebo

May 16, 2011, 6:41 AM
Post #17 of 64 (7536 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amyas] Belaying Device on Top Rope Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

amyas wrote:
First of all.. you should teach interstellar communications or something justanother, impressive dechipiring! As for the horrendous idea of the OP... look up the bachmann hitch. It will do what youre asking about, a trustworthy sometimes selftending hitch that may or may not have the friction you need to catch you if your belayer drops you. If you find it locking up on you just put a sling through the carabiner and run the other end of it to your mouth. Keep the sling end in your mouth all the time and it should keep the hitch sliding up the rope as you climb.

P.S. please dont actually try that. Now que me up a witty JT remark, its the main thing that keeps me checking this site out.

Do you know how much of an arse licker you look right now?.

Xendz

May 16, 2011, 7:27 AM
Post #18 of 64 (7512 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Belaying Device on Top Rope Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the reply's everyone and that is a great post, mabey i should stick to the basics, its alittle difficult still though to trust my belayers ;D but I guess you just have to develop that relationship. Thanks guys and its very much appreciated. as far as the decrypting comment I actually hold the MOS in communications ;D, but as new people come in and ask questions like these you should expect that we dont know what were talking about. Thanks :)

wwalt822

May 16, 2011, 7:33 AM
Post #19 of 64 (7506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Xendz wrote:
would i have to press the lever on the belay device?

How the fuck else would a grigri allow you to lower besides pushing the lever?

Although I hate responding to shit like this because I'm probably being trolled.

Xendz

May 16, 2011, 7:38 AM
Post #20 of 64 (7503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wwalt822] Belaying Device on Top Rope Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, i saw a video on it one day which is why this thought came to mind, but im guessing he was just using a device similiar to a grgri.

iknowfear

May 16, 2011, 7:56 AM
Post #21 of 64 (7473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Xendz wrote:
well, i saw a video on it one day which is why this thought came to mind, but im guessing he was just using a device similiar to a grgri.

if you could find the link to the video it would be helpfull.

also - please note that no all things shown in videos are good ideas, they may just seem so.

sticky_fingers

May 16, 2011, 9:16 AM
Post #22 of 64 (7439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Xendz wrote:
Thanks for the reply's everyone and that is a great post, mabey i should stick to the basics, its alittle difficult still though to trust my belayers ;D but I guess you just have to develop that relationship. Thanks guys and its very much appreciated. as far as the decrypting comment I actually hold the MOS in communications ;D, but as new people come in and ask questions like these you should expect that we dont know what were talking about. Thanks :)

What the hell is that? Most Offensive Spelling in Communication? Jesus, your posts are terrible.

To quote Billy Madison, "What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.

Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."
-----------
edit: thanks wwalt822

(This post was edited by sticky_fingers on May 16, 2011, 9:32 AM)

wwalt822

May 16, 2011, 9:27 AM
Post #23 of 64 (7433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sticky_fingers] Belaying Device on Top Rope Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sticky_fingers wrote:
Xendz wrote:

What the hell is that? Most Offensive Spelling in Communication? Jesus, your posts are terrible.

To quote Happy Gilmore, "What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.

Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."

That was Billy Madison bud.

dynosore

May 16, 2011, 10:16 AM
Post #24 of 64 (7405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Xendz wrote:

We don't expect you to know what you're talking about, but it would be nice if you could communicate it using some semblance of proper English.

My recommendations for you, in order:

Grammar school
Top roping Class
Lead Class
Find a trusted partner

YW

Kartessa

May 16, 2011, 11:55 AM
Post #25 of 64 (7364 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Belaying Device on Top Rope Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
Xendz wrote:

We don't expect you to know what you're talking about, but it would be nice if you could communicate it using some semblance of proper English.

My recommendations for you, in order:

Grammar school
Top roping Class
Lead Class
Find a trusted partner

YW

That's not gonna work very well if he's self-taught at everything.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook