Premier Sponsor:

sungam

May 19, 2011, 9:37 AM
Post #1 of 20 (2229 views)
Shortcut

New way to stay hydrating! Power-hydrating WITH AN AWESOME TWIST
Report this Post
Can't Post

So, power hydrating DOESN'T WORK, right? If you slam a gallon of water before a 20 hour alpine climb, you are gunna piss like mad after 20 minutes and be dehydrated in 5 hours. You GOTTA keep drinking a little at a time, right?

WRONG.

NOT ANYMORE.

After doing some research I have found some AWESOME stuff.

So I don't like carrying water, I mean who does? But I don't like being dehydrated, either. So, I started to think... There are slow release carbs and stuff, right?

Well why not slow release WATER???

I started to dig around. I started to pester my friends in the biology, human bio, and chem departments. I was going to make slow-release water.

And I did.

And it was FAR more simple then I could have imagined.

Mint, pepper, and MSG have all been scientifically proven to reduce the rate at which contents drain from the stomach into the intestines.

So, I started to look into the mint and pepper. I found the actual compounds (R-carvone for mint and piperine for pepper) that cause this effect. Then I got to purifying them. This took some time to master, but basically using a viscous gel (can't remember what it was) and a centrifuge, it all worked out (my chemistry major friends did this part)

The final result was this: Water, with MSG, R-caryone, and piperline added, with a hefty addition of Tang powder to cover the taste (kinda...).

I have been unable to try it due to exams, but my man Mark just finished his so gave it a shot. He slammed just over a GALLON of this stuff over a 40 minute period while driving up to Ben Nevis. He did several routes (The 4-ridge linkup) and hit back to the car. He pissed twice. Once about 2 hours in, and again about 7 hours in. He said he felt a little dehydrated about 2 hours after the 2nd piss, so he drank from a mountain stream.

So, all in all, a great success! We are gunna keep working on it, and I'll keep you updated.

dynosore

May 19, 2011, 9:44 AM
Post #2 of 20 (2222 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] New way to stay hydrating! Power-hydrating WITH AN AWESOME TWIST [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Guzzling MSG laced water sounds great to me Tongue

Cortisone causes massive water retention. You should definitely add it next time, it will loosen the ole' joints too!

The "purification" part sounds unconventional to me.......you wouldn't pull our leg would you?

sungam

May 19, 2011, 9:47 AM
Post #3 of 20 (2216 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] New way to stay hydrating! Power-hydrating WITH AN AWESOME TWIST [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
The "purification" part sounds unconventional to me.......you wouldn't pull our leg would you?
I only watched for a minute, it was all too CSI for me. They had this stuff and the mixed the pepper (which had been ground to a really fine powder) into the gell, and then the spinny thing went round and I left. Next day they had the stuff.

qwert

May 19, 2011, 11:41 AM
Post #4 of 20 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] New way to stay hydrating! Power-hydrating WITH AN AWESOME TWIST [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
So, power hydrating DOESN'T WORK, right? If you slam a gallon of water before a 20 hour alpine climb, you are gunna piss like mad after 20 minutes and be dehydrated in 5 hours. You GOTTA keep drinking a little at a time, right?

WRONG.

NOT ANYMORE.

So I don't like carrying water, I mean who does? But I don't like being dehydrated, either. So, I started to think... There are slow release carbs and stuff, right?

I started to dig around. I started to pester my friends in the biology, human bio, and chem departments. I was going to make slow-release water.

And I did.

Mint, pepper, and MSG have all been scientifically proven to reduce the rate at which contents drain from the stomach into the intestines.

So, I started to look into the mint and pepper. I found the actual compounds (R-carvone for mint and piperine for pepper) that cause this effect. Then I got to purifying them. This took some time to master, but basically using a viscous gel (can't remember what it was) and a centrifuge, it all worked out (my chemistry major friends did this part)

The final result was this: Water, with MSG, R-caryone, and piperline added, with a hefty addition of Tang powder to cover the taste (kinda...).

I have been unable to try it due to exams, but my man Mark just finished his so gave it a shot. He slammed just over a GALLON of this stuff over a 40 minute period while driving up to Ben Nevis. He did several routes (The 4-ridge linkup) and hit back to the car. He pissed twice. Once about 2 hours in, and again about 7 hours in. He said he felt a little dehydrated about 2 hours after the 2nd piss, so he drank from a mountain stream.

So, all in all, a great success! We are gunna keep working on it, and I'll keep you updated.
I am to lazy to google MSG. What is it?
Also, you say "mint". Is that a street term for something else, or the plant, you make tea from (peppermint?)?
If the latter, wouldnt peppermint tea be the easiest solution?

all in all:
T-7
you got me kinda interested.

qwert

ENARE

May 19, 2011, 11:45 AM
Post #5 of 20 (2159 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For MSG's, would it be more healthy to use cooking salt?

sungam

May 20, 2011, 5:16 AM
Post #6 of 20 (2078 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ENARE] New way to stay hydrating! Power-hydrating WITH AN AWESOME TWIST [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ENARE wrote:
For MSG's, would it be more healthy to use cooking salt?
I'm not a chemist (to be honest I actually had very little to do with the research other then kicking the idea off) But I was under the impression that MSG (mono-sodium glutamate) itself was a distinct compound? All I know is they used Maggi's cooking sauce but did some stuff to it to get rid of some (but definitely not all) of the other stuff in it (salt etc.).

When I said "mint" I mean like the food mint. I don't think is was peppermint (that's different, I thought?) just like mint extract like in mint chocolate chip ice cream.

blueeyedclimber

May 20, 2011, 5:43 AM
Post #7 of 20 (2070 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] New way to stay hydrating! Power-hydrating WITH AN AWESOME TWIST [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:

Monosodiumglutamate. It's a flavor enhancer that is often found in junk food (like chips), salad dressing, and asian food. Although, I believe it is outlawed in Thailand.

My wife has a sever allergy to it and if she gets dosed will get a severe migraine a few hours later. When we went to Thailand we had to learn the phrase Mai Sai pong chu rot, or something like that. It means "No MSG, pleas." They laughed at our pronunciation and said that they don't use it Cool

Josh

sungam

May 20, 2011, 5:48 AM
Post #8 of 20 (2063 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] New way to stay hydrating! Power-hydrating WITH AN AWESOME TWIST [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
qwert wrote:

Monosodiumglutamate. It's a flavor enhancer that is often found in junk food (like chips), salad dressing, and asian food. Although, I believe it is outlawed in Thailand.

My wife has a sever allergy to it and if she gets dosed will get a severe migraine a few hours later. When we went to Thailand we had to learn the phrase Mai Sai pong chu rot, or something like that. It means "No MSG, pleas." They laughed at our pronunciation and said that they don't use it Cool

Josh
I feel bad for Tiph. MSG is like my favorite flavor.

Toast_in_the_Machine

May 20, 2011, 6:27 AM
Post #9 of 20 (2043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
qwert wrote:

Josh

Madison Square Garden. Haggis boy wants to relive the opening of "The Highlander"

kachoong

May 20, 2011, 6:28 AM
Post #10 of 20 (2042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:

WRONG.

NOT ANYMORE.

And I did.

You are truly gonna die!

ddooddodo

May 20, 2011, 6:55 AM
Post #11 of 20 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Sungam] New way to stay hydrating! Power-hydrating WITH AN AWESOME TWIST [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Does this mean I can't pee any more Tongue

(This post was edited by ddooddodo on May 20, 2011, 6:55 AM)

traddad

May 20, 2011, 7:18 AM
Post #12 of 20 (2018 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddooddodo] New way to stay hydrating! Power-hydrating WITH AN AWESOME TWIST [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jesus Fuck I thought this was a beer bong thread. My bad. As you were.

Helicoptering out.

wonderwoman

May 20, 2011, 8:26 AM
Post #13 of 20 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
qwert wrote:

Josh

It's true. I have two fears: MSG and strobe lights. Especially when combined.

qwert

May 20, 2011, 10:15 AM
Post #14 of 20 (1988 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] New way to stay hydrating! Power-hydrating WITH AN AWESOME TWIST [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ow did this get into camp ground?

Now i am utterly confused what this whole thing is all about.

Those kids these days with their code words for hard drugs …

And if its not code words, sungam is suggesting to essentially drink the broth from those cheap instant ramen packages, with some mint, in order to stay hydrated longer?

In reply to:
When I said "mint" I mean like the food mint. I don't think is was peppermint (that's different, I thought?) just like mint extract like in mint chocolate chip ice cream.
unless it is something else that stuff is peppermint (or spearmint), just in an enriched or maybe artificial form.

qwert

squierbypetzl

May 20, 2011, 1:52 PM
Post #15 of 20 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] New way to stay hydrating! Power-hydrating WITH AN AWESOME TWIST [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not the craziest thing I've heard. Why he would share a discovery with $uch obviou$ potential on the open web suggests 2 things: it's a hoax and he's bluffing, or he's onto something but needs a guinea pig.

Considering he said they needed tang to "sort of" mask the flavour, and the fact that he's Scottish and they eat sheep gut over there, I donīt think I'll be trying it until itīs commercially available.

spikeddem

May 20, 2011, 2:51 PM
Post #16 of 20 (1961 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] New way to stay hydrating! Power-hydrating WITH AN AWESOME TWIST [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sungam, lay off the drugs.

airscape

May 20, 2011, 11:32 PM
Post #17 of 20 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

THIS IS A GREAT IDEA. But I've got another take, for the less expensive alternative (Them scientific reaserch is expensive)

You measure how much water you need for a typical day of cragging, say max of about 4l, you want these released in 4 sessions, 1l a session.

Nou, you take 4 condoms and fill them each with a litre of water, and then you swallow them... If a litre condom is too difficult to swallow you could always swallow half litre condoms.

When you are thirsty all you have to do is swallow a water dissovlable thumbtack! (If a condom gets pierced the thumb tack dissolves instantaneuosesouly!! So the other condoms are still safe) Then presto 1l of awesome watery goodness. We could call the super rehydration, since you get all the water instantaneuosueusly.

You could carve the thumbtacks out of hardboiled sweets.

Partner philbox

May 21, 2011, 1:23 AM
Post #18 of 20 (1941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airscape] New way to stay hydrating! Power-hydrating WITH AN AWESOME TWIST [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
THIS IS A GREAT IDEA. But I've got another take, for the less expensive alternative (Them scientific reaserch is expensive)

You measure how much water you need for a typical day of cragging, say max of about 4l, you want these released in 4 sessions, 1l a session.

Nou, you take 4 condoms and fill them each with a litre of water, and then you swallow them... If a litre condom is too difficult to swallow you could always swallow half litre condoms.

When you are thirsty all you have to do is swallow a water dissovlable thumbtack! (If a condom gets pierced the thumb tack dissolves instantaneuosesouly!! So the other condoms are still safe) Then presto 1l of awesome watery goodness. We could call the super rehydration, since you get all the water instantaneuosueusly.

You could carve the thumbtacks out of hardboiled sweets.

I so miss gold trophies. Best reply I've seen in ages, Well played sir, well played.

airscape

May 21, 2011, 5:21 AM
Post #19 of 20 (1921 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] New way to stay hydrating! Power-hydrating WITH AN AWESOME TWIST [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also once you get really used to your new found condom swallowing skills, rock climbing airplane trips to other countries start paying for themselves *wink* *wink* *nudge*

airscape

May 21, 2011, 8:06 AM
Post #20 of 20 (1909 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airscape] New way to stay hydrating! Power-hydrating WITH AN AWESOME TWIST [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
Also once you get really used to your new found condom swallowing skills, rock climbing airplane trips to other countries start paying for themselves *wink* *wink* *nudge*

If any of you are ever in Africa PM me.

Love
Carlos.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook