Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
Trouble finding mentor, gym bringing me down.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

AARONLEWISDINKIN

May 20, 2011, 4:05 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1864 views)
Shortcut

Trouble finding mentor, gym bringing me down.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Babysitting?  I'm not sure how everyone here developed their experience, I hope it wasn't all books and praying "it worked the same" in practice?  I'm asking for a more experienced person to help me, it's a simple concept called learning; usually involves a person with more experience "a teacher" and a person with less experience "a student." I don't know how everyone here seems to have magically assimilated this information (through osmosis) without them being a novice at some point in their past/history?  Weren't you asking the same questions I'm asking at one point? I don't understand why I'm not allowed the same chance all of you before me received when those of you were in my shoes?

I'm curious by which method you used to gain outdoor experience?  If people only feel safe climbing with experienced partners, then how does one stipulate the inexperienced to become experienced? I am curious for your opinion and insight?

Reiteration of previous information:

I own modern equipment:

I was only taught on the "old stuff"

Three Mammut 60m 11mm Dynamic

Tarango Cinch
Petzl GriGri

Two: Kong GiGi

30 Aluminuim / 15 Steel Caribeeners

30 Quick Draw Chord

120ft of 1" tubular webbing
90ft of 2" tubular webbing

3 nut tools

12 Various fig8 style descenders

Three off brand ascenders

Metholius Stopper Set

Three other branded stopper sets

Three other branded SLCD "Cam" Sets

Chest Plate & Harness from BDel

Helmet from Petzel

Shoes from La Sportiva

Experience:

Been Climbing/Belaying since 2001 (Actually since 1997 when I was at a program for at risk youth)

I learned with fig8s sherriffs stitch plates and ATCs

The program was mostly "High5/ProjectAdventure" based

Every year in highschool from 2001 through 2005 I'd take the "Asventure" P.E. Elective

We learned ropes belaying etc

Also, after high school, when in HVCC (College) I did "Adventure" there for a semester

I don't understand the YDS Yosemity Grading System so I can't tell you what I've climbed

I'm not 100% on all the knots because at the gyms you don't have to tie them but in HighSchool and College I did.  So I forgot over the years, which is the main reason why I feel that gyms are holding me back.

gmggg

May 20, 2011, 2:26 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AARONLEWISDINKIN] Trouble finding mentor, gym bringing me down. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AARONLEWISDINKIN wrote:
Babysitting?  I'm not sure how everyone here developed their experience, I hope it wasn't all books and praying "it worked the same" in practice?  I'm asking for a more experienced person to help me, it's a simple concept called learning; usually involves a person with more experience "a teacher" and a person with less experience "a student." I don't know how everyone here seems to have magically assimilated this information (through osmosis) without them being a novice at some point in their past/history?  Weren't you asking the same questions I'm asking at one point? I don't understand why I'm not allowed the same chance all of you before me received when those of you were in my shoes?

I'm curious by which method you used to gain outdoor experience?  If people only feel safe climbing with experienced partners, then how does one stipulate the inexperienced to become experienced? I am curious for your opinion and insight?

I own modern equipment:

Tarango Cinch
Petzl GriGri

30 Quick Draw Chord

3 nut tools

Metholius Stopper Set

Helmet from Petzel

Shoes from La Sportiva

Experience:

Been Climbing/Belaying since 2001 (Actually since 1997 when I was at a program for at risk youth)

Every year in highschool from 2001 through 2005 I'd take the "Asventure" P.E. Elective

Also, after high school, when in HVCC (College) I did "Adventure" there for a semester

I don't understand the YDS Yosemity Grading System so I can't tell you what I've climbed

I'm not 100% on all the knots because at the gyms you don't have to tie them but in HighSchool and College I did.  So I forgot over the years, which is the main reason why I feel that gyms are holding me back.

I don't think your problem finding partners has as much to do with "safety" as it does with the attitude you present.

Maybe that's just an issue with communicating via written word? If that's the case then you should have good luck finding partners and/or mentors at your local climbing gym or at your local crags. Just be honest about your experience level (hint: it might be easier for you to present yourself as having no experience), be friendly, and don't be so needy.

It's a lot like dating. Just pretend your prospective partner is a potential fling. But instead of ending up in the sack you'll end up climbing.

Also, no one wants a belayer - especially in the Dacks or Gunks. That is not an attractive offer at all. Most people want a partner. Someone to feed and share in motivation and not someone that will take 1.5 hours to jug a pitch because they're not interested in progressing.

From what you've written online you seem to be the type of person who will get to the cliff slightly late, drop some gear while racking up, say things like "I don't know if I feel ready today", follow 1 pitch and effectively sit out the rest of the day, complain about the hiking, get back home and brag about the "awesome climbing experience", and then obsessively call/email your partner far more often than is appropriate.

I don't know if this is how you will act, and I don't mean to insult you, but it is what your posts are projecting.

AARONLEWISDINKIN

May 20, 2011, 2:47 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Trouble finding mentor, gym bringing me down. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:

I don't think your problem finding partners has as much to do with "safety" as it does with the attitude you present.

Maybe that's just an issue with communicating via written word? If that's the case then you should have good luck finding partners and/or mentors at your local climbing gym or at your local crags. Just be honest about your experience level (hint: it might be easier for you to present yourself as having no experience), be friendly, and don't be so needy.

It's a lot like dating. Just pretend your prospective partner is a potential fling. But instead of ending up in the sack you'll end up climbing.

Also, no one wants a belayer - especially in the Dacks or Gunks. That is not an attractive offer at all. Most people want a partner. Someone to feed and share in motivation and not someone that will take 1.5 hours to jug a pitch because they're not interested in progressing.

From what you've written online you seem to be the type of person who will get to the cliff slightly late, drop some gear while racking up, say things like "I don't know if I feel ready today", follow 1 pitch and effectively sit out the rest of the day, complain about the hiking, get back home and brag about the "awesome climbing experience", and then obsessively call/email your partner far more often than is appropriate.

I don't know if this is how you will act, and I don't mean to insult you, but it is what your posts are projecting.

Wow, you made me sound like someone from a bad sit-com :( I appreciate your honesty and everything, you're probably right about me not communicating well via the "written word," I'm just not quite sure where you got punctuality and physical fitness out of my "tone" of the article?

I generally enjoy long hikes, although I tend to bring TOO much stuff, I'm paranoid and have to be "over prepared," I don't know about being late, I'm usually the first one to an appointment but I'm curious how you factored that in?? I would appreciate it if you could show me with specifics how you ascertained these facets of the personality from the text. It would help me if you pointed them out, so I can rectify this problem in future textual communications.

welle

May 20, 2011, 7:03 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1818 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AARONLEWISDINKIN] Trouble finding mentor, gym bringing me down. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AARONLEWISDINKIN wrote:

I own modern equipment:

Tarango Cinch
Petzl GriGri

30 Quick Draw Chord

3 nut tools

Metholius Stopper Set

Helmet from Petzel

Shoes from La Sportiva

Experience:

I'm sorry to be harsh, but from your posts, you sound like you have an ADD or laziness to learn or remember things you've learned in the past. That's unacceptable, unless you are a sweet-talking pretty girl.

Partner happiegrrrl

May 20, 2011, 7:17 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope this isn't too harsh, but dude - you sent me an email looking for a mentor without so much as including your name.

Your profile doesn't have one word in it, and all the posts you have made provide no clue except that you have looked for a partner recently.

I did look at the posts and got to tell you - that you tie in with a swami and are sick of the gym is not really a high selling point that will overcome the attitude you present. No offense.

Personally, I have no desire to take out a newbie who I have never met, and so I did not respond to your message. I am not interested in testing out the proficiency of a stranger's belay.

Have you TRIED asking if you can come along outside with any of the people you know at the gym? That IS how many gym climbers get started outside.

You could also check into the local MeetUp groups, which seem quite inclusive to newbie climbers, though I would suggest getting a good idea as to what experience the ones 'leading the day' have before tying in.

Another option is to take a beginner's class - the AMC offers. When I started climbing, it was also in the gym. I wanted to get to the Gunks but was so clueless, and not a cutie 20-something girl, that I didn't get offered. An opportunity came up to take a class, and that's what I did. I am linking for you the exact class I took, which is going to be happening in a couple weeks. PERFECT for you. Here is the link:

http://activities.outdoors.org/...ion/details/id/29262

If you go, and Joe Petutti is the guide, tell him I said hello. He won't know who I am, but you can say I took the class back in 2004 and followed my first lead with him. He and his teaching partner are REALLY great, and I am SURE you will have a wonderful experience.

I even wrote about the experience on my blog, if you want to check it out and get an idea about the workshop. Link: http://happiegrrrlclimbing.blogspot.com/...t-climbing-trip.html
http://happiegrrrlclimbing.blogspot.com/...imbing-tripcont.html
http://happiegrrrlclimbing.blogspot.com/...ing-tripcont_16.html

(This post was edited by happiegrrrl on May 20, 2011, 7:19 PM)

gmggg

May 20, 2011, 7:39 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1805 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Trouble finding mentor, gym bringing me down. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You know what. The OP's PM changed my mind.

OP I'll climb with you if you make it out to Boston.

AARONLEWISDINKIN

May 20, 2011, 10:17 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Trouble finding mentor, gym bringing me down. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not too harsh, I appreciate your honesty and sharing of your insights; that's how people learn, they face their mistakes in a mature fashion and modify their algorithm such to rectify the situation from reoccurring in the future!

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook