Trailmix

May 23, 2011, 5:21 PM
Post #1 of 48 (2995 views)
Shortcut

Dog barking while I climb...
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello again!

I have to take care of my mom's really undisciplined terrier for a few weeks while she's away to Europe. I took him to the gunks this weekend, I didn't expect to climb much because of the rain so I thought it would be a good idea to see how he would behave... well it was horrible. We left Saturday 8PM got there at like 9:30 and slept with the dog in the cab of my friends pick-up. The entire night he was barking for every little sound he heard and he has one strong bark! I was so nervous he would wake up the other campers, so I didn't sleep a wink.
The next day we went up the stairmaster, he did great had no problems, then went to black boulder and left him on the other side of the carriage road with our packs. Whenever I walked away from him and went to spot my friend or tried the problem the dog would go crazy and bark until I was beside him again. I didn't want to upset the other climbers with his barking and I'm sure he's just anxious or scared because he's never been out there before but I see so many other dogs chilling as their owners do routes even and I wish he could be like that.
What is really stressing me out is the Memorial weekend trip I'm taking to Rumney with 12 other people, I don't want to inconvenience them with his barking or not be able to climb, that would be a real bummer :(
If anyone has been in a similar situation or can just give me some dog training tips that would be really great. Otherwise I may have to just not go climbing for a month! FrownFrown

(This post was edited by Trailmix on May 23, 2011, 5:24 PM)

Diphthong

May 23, 2011, 5:41 PM
Post #2 of 48 (2987 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Trailmix] Dog barking while I climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Trailmix wrote:
Hello again!

I have to take care of my mom's really undisciplined terrier for a few weeks while she's away to Europe. I took him to the gunks this weekend, I didn't expect to climb much because of the rain so I thought it would be a good idea to see how he would behave... well it was horrible. We left Saturday 8PM got there at like 9:30 and slept with the dog in the cab of my friends pick-up. The entire night he was barking for every little sound he heard and he has one strong bark! I was so nervous he would wake up the other campers, so I didn't sleep a wink.
The next day we went up the stairmaster, he did great had no problems, then went to black boulder and left him on the other side of the carriage road with our packs. Whenever I walked away from him and went to spot my friend or tried the problem the dog would go crazy and bark until I was beside him again. I didn't want to upset the other climbers with his barking and I'm sure he's just anxious or scared because he's never been out there before but I see so many other dogs chilling as their owners do routes even and I wish he could be like that.
What is really stressing me out is the Memorial weekend trip I'm taking to Rumney with 12 other people, I don't want to inconvenience them with his barking or not be able to climb, that would be a real bummer :(
If anyone has been in a similar situation or can just give me some dog training tips that would be really great. Otherwise I may have to just not go climbing for a month! FrownFrown

wwalt822

May 23, 2011, 5:53 PM
Post #3 of 48 (2978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get him one of those anti barking shock collars, or muzzle that shit. Whatever you do, don't reward the thing with petting or what not when you come back due to its yapping.

Partner macherry

May 23, 2011, 6:13 PM
Post #4 of 48 (2969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trailmix wrote:
Hello again!

stressing you out, imagine all the climbers that want to strangle the f'ing dog.

undisciplined terrier eh...............leave it at home

gawd i hate being captain obvious

Trailmix

May 23, 2011, 6:18 PM
Post #5 of 48 (2965 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Dog barking while I climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes macherry I realize they will want to strangle the dog, which is why I wrote "I don't want to inconvenience them with his barking". If you're going to bold something I wrote you may as well take the time to read it yourself.
But thanks for the input! :)

carabiner96

May 23, 2011, 6:21 PM
Post #6 of 48 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trailmix wrote:
Hello again!

Rumney is a terrible place for dogs. I brought mine there and will never do it again. I spent the whole day apologizing for his rather good behavior, just because any dog is in the way when you're on those cramped ledges. And memorial day weekend? Forget it. You could kill the dog first and just drag its limp body around and it would still be obnoxious (especially if it's a yapper).

It's important to recognize when you have a crag dog and when you don't. I love climbing, and I love my dog, but the two really don't mix that well (unless I bring my husband along just to dog sit, but even then only on days where there aren't going to be a lot of people around). It's also a shit ton of work, because now you're not only managing yours and you partners safety, but your dogs as well and the folks around you who have the potential to be impacted by your dog. Pain in the ass, it is.

It sounds like your dog isn't meant to be a crag dog. Leave him at home or put him in a kennel for the night.

traddad

May 23, 2011, 6:24 PM
Post #7 of 48 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wwalt822] Dog barking while I climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wwalt822 wrote:
Get him one of those anti barking shock collars, or muzzle that shit. Whatever you do, don't reward the thing with petting or what not when you come back due to its yapping.

/\ This guy is a complete idiot and should be prevented from ever having a pet.

You need to stay home. Sorry if this cuts into your recreation but you committed to taking care of the dog. If ANYONE ever used a shock collar on my dog while they were sitting, I'd smash their knees with a baseball bat. Next time don't commit unless you can do it right.

Sorry if this seems a bit harsh but dogs are not simply toys that you can neglect or ignore. If you don't want (or can't) put in the time, don't own or even sit.

carabiner96

May 23, 2011, 6:31 PM
Post #8 of 48 (2954 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] Dog barking while I climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
wwalt822 wrote:

You need to stay home. Sorry if this cuts into your recreation but you committed to taking care of the dog. If ANYONE ever used a shock collar on my dog while they were sitting, I'd smash their knees with a baseball bat. Next time don't commit unless you can do it right.

Sorry if this seems a bit harsh but dogs are not simply toys that you can neglect or ignore. If you don't want (or can't) put in the time, don't own or even sit.
Yeah, I've never understood shock collars. My folks did muzzle train their dog though, he is a collie and had a barking problem. They would use a muzzle to discipline, keeping it on for 10 or so minutes. Now, if he starts barking they just have to make a fist shape and say 'Muzzle!' and he shuts up and starts licking your hand.

However, they did only use it as a training tool and didn't leave it on him for hours at a time (or, lord forbid, all day).

Trailmix

May 23, 2011, 6:46 PM
Post #9 of 48 (2951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Dog barking while I climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was thinking of putting him in a kennel and picking him up Tuesday, I think that would be the best idea too.
I definitely agree with NOT using a shock collar.

He isn't my dog so I didn't 'raise' him to be this way, my mother spoiled the crap out of him and it would take more then a month of being in my care to undo the damage, but I will reconsider taking him with me to Rumney. I forget how crowded it can be when it's not a 3 day weekend!

wwalt822

May 23, 2011, 6:47 PM
Post #10 of 48 (2951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its a terrier, that's not even a real dog, calm down. The dog will get over it.

traddad

May 23, 2011, 6:55 PM
Post #11 of 48 (2933 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wwalt822 wrote:
Its a terrier, that's not even a real dog, calm down. The dog will get over it.

Troll score: -4.

Trailmix

May 23, 2011, 7:03 PM
Post #12 of 48 (2926 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can I shock you wwalt?

wwalt822

May 23, 2011, 7:05 PM
Post #13 of 48 (2922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trailmix wrote:
Can I shock you wwalt?

Only if you are a hot chick dressed in latex.

(This post was edited by wwalt822 on May 23, 2011, 7:06 PM)

Partner macherry

May 23, 2011, 7:12 PM
Post #14 of 48 (2911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trailmix wrote:
Yes macherry I realize they will want to strangle the dog, which is why I wrote "I don't want to inconvenience them with his barking". If you're going to bold something I wrote you may as well take the time to read it yourself.
But thanks for the input! :)

oh i read the whole thing.

traddad

May 23, 2011, 7:12 PM
Post #15 of 48 (2911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trailmix wrote:
I was thinking of putting him in a kennel and picking him up Tuesday, I think that would be the best idea too.
I definitely agree with NOT using a shock collar.

He isn't my dog so I didn't 'raise' him to be this way, my mother spoiled the crap out of him and it would take more then a month of being in my care to undo the damage, but I will reconsider taking him with me to Rumney. I forget how crowded it can be when it's not a 3 day weekend!

Sorry if I was a bit harsh but I work with a group that rescues Border Collies. We see a LOT of dogs with serious mental and emotional damage caused by neglect and what could only be considered outright torture....often by well meaning people.
Dogs are unique in the animal kingdom in that they, more than any other animal, have co-evolved as partners with humans. They can read our emotions and intent a LOT better than we think they can and they have several behaviors and abilities that not even chimps can match. They do not take well to being treated like a common posession.
When we make the decision to own a dog, we need to commit to the time, training and emotion that they require...and that also means training your pooch to work well with others (the sitter, for instance) Yes, they can be spoiled.

..and yes, Terriers are dogs. They've just been bred to do a job that's not well thought of these days.

(This post was edited by traddad on May 23, 2011, 7:15 PM)

Partner macherry

May 23, 2011, 7:22 PM
Post #16 of 48 (2903 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nice summing up traddad.

sometimes we have to recognize that our dogs are not crag dogs.

i have a husky shepherd cross. worst crag dog evah. but, she's the best hiking/biking companion you could wish for.

you're introducing the dog into a new social setting where a different kind of behavior is expected. the dog, you and other climbers will be stressed

jakedatc

May 23, 2011, 7:24 PM
Post #17 of 48 (2902 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, not sure where you planned to stay but dogs are not allowed at the Red house/farm across the street. The Mountain Pines campground has a rule against dogs who constantly bark.

Dogs are rumney is definitely a pain in the ass. If yours can't even handle bouldering on the carriage road forget about rumney.

memorial day weekend will be packed.

wwalt822

May 23, 2011, 7:25 PM
Post #18 of 48 (2901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh I forgot to mention the controversial debarking procedure that vets can do these days. You can have the dogs vocal chords surgically removed while you are on your trip and surprise your mom when she gets back. It would be like a late mothers day present.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devocalization

Trailmix

May 23, 2011, 7:30 PM
Post #19 of 48 (2892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does it work on humans? I believe you should check it out - I am completely willing to chip in for this noble cause for you. Smile

jakedatc

May 23, 2011, 7:30 PM
Post #20 of 48 (2892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

walt you should invite yourself to leave.

and then shoot yourself in the head. khthnxbi

imnotclever

May 23, 2011, 7:33 PM
Post #21 of 48 (2885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
wwalt822 wrote:

Are you against the shock collar or against somebody making a punishment training? decision for your dog?

wwalt822

May 23, 2011, 7:40 PM
Post #22 of 48 (2879 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Dog barking while I climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TSSST

jakedatc

May 23, 2011, 7:46 PM
Post #23 of 48 (2872 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea.. pretty sure Cesar is against shock collars and cutting vocal cords.. go away.

wwalt822

May 23, 2011, 7:59 PM
Post #24 of 48 (2866 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Dog barking while I climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

He may be against debarking but for shock collars, Cesar says to go ahead and shock away:
http://www.cesarsway.com/...g-an-Electric-Collar

In reply to:
Dear Robin,

First, I'll address the touchy issue of e-collars. I believe any tool that works for you and that you feel comfortable with ethically - - including an e-collar -- is acceptableas long as you know how to use the tool 100% correctly and that it ultimately creates a positive impact or produces positive behavior in the dog. In the situation you are in, if the e-collar is the tool you choose, it could indeed be an effective way of saving your dog's life. In other words, when a dog runs away compulsively, especially such a fast dog, the possibility of the dog getting hurt from a car are much higher than getting hurt from an e-collar.

That said, it's essential that you learn how to use an e-collar properly because they have different levels of intensity and you have to know which level to use depending on your dog's size, age, energy level, etc. The concept behind e-collars is without a doubt to save a dog's life. It was not created to hurt the dog, but the mild shocks are intended to produce an unpleasant experience that the dog will want to avoid. You the owner have to do your research and perhaps consult a professional or vet before you attempt to use the tool, because, in the wrong hands or used improperly, it can indeed create a traumatic experience for your dog.

Stay calm and assertive,

Cesar Millan

In reply to:
yea.. pretty sure Cesar is against shock collars and cutting vocal cords.. go away.

(This post was edited by wwalt822 on May 23, 2011, 8:30 PM)

traddad

May 23, 2011, 8:30 PM
Post #25 of 48 (2840 views)
Shortcut

Re: [imnotclever] Dog barking while I climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

imnotclever wrote:
traddad wrote:
wwalt822 wrote:

Are you against the shock collar or against somebody making a punishment training? decision for your dog?

I'm opposed to someone else making that decision for my dog...but barring some brain injury, (either the dog or the sitter) that's not going to happen. Save for some adolescent exuberance when meeting new people, he is a very well trained and mannered dog. I've worked hard with him.
I, however, am not completely opposed to using e-collars in remedial/rehab training situations, as a last resort. Many of the dogs Cesar sees are one step away from the E-list. If it keeps a dog in a home and out of the pound, then it has done some good. E-collars are not shotcuts or the panacea for "Lazy Trainer Syndrome".....and most folks are not 100% sure how to use them.
And then there is Milgram...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook