RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

becs

Jun 1, 2011, 4:32 AM
Post #1 of 2 (547 views)
Shortcut

dislocated ankle - anyone else?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've only been climbing for 6months and have completely fallen in love! Climbing around 4 times a week, steadily improving.. I was just starting to feel like I was really getting the hang of it.. Disaster struck when I had an awkward fall bouldering. From 1.5m up I managed an open dislocation of my right ankle - bone through the skin, tore all the ligaments.

Am non-weight bearing for 6 weeks (currently 4 weeks in) and then fingers crossed for a moon boot and some weight onto it!

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced an injury like this and could give me an indication of approximately how long the recovery time is (how long before you could climb again?!) and how the strength in the joint is post-recovery. Are there any exercises etc that would be recommended to help keep my muscle strength?

(This post was edited by becs on Jun 1, 2011, 4:34 AM)

gblauer

Jun 1, 2011, 5:20 AM
Post #2 of 2 (534 views)
Shortcut

Re: [becs] dislocated ankle - anyone else? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yikes, sorry to hear about your accident.

I am sure everyone here will tell you to let your body heal. Pushing too soon will only lead to further problems down line. That said, you could probably talk to your doctor about swimming (once your wound is healed) as a means to stay in shape.

Good luck, heal fast.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$197.06 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook