RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

jnovakov

Jun 3, 2011, 11:13 PM
Post #1 of 24 (16820 views)
Shortcut

Protein
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm starting to actually train lately since up till now I have mostly relied on technique. I climb 5.12c, want to get to a 13. Im a vegetarian and have a pretty crappy diet and am prob protein deficient.. Wanted to start taking protein powder to supplement but I'm afraid I'll get bigger and bulk up. I'm currently 103lbs and 5'2... anyone have experience with protein supplements? -jen

sungam

Jun 3, 2011, 11:24 PM
Post #2 of 24 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jnovakov] Protein [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Protein powder will not magically build you up. If average bob was to start taking protein powder without increasing his training workload, he would see no difference in his build.
The only time that taking a protein powder will increase muscle size or strength compared to not taking it, is if you are not getting enough protein to start with.

If you are training for climbing, have a protein deficiency, and start to take protein powder, the only muscles that will gain strength are your climbing muscles.

The body does not dump spare protein into random muscles, making them all bulky. The body doesn't know the difference between protein from the diet and protein from a shake, no matter what MetRX tries to tell you (although it is possible that some are absorbed faster).

Have you tried tallying up your average daily protein intake? I know a lot of vegetarians who eat a lot of legumes which have a fair whack of protein in them.

If you think you're short on protein, you may want to think about changing your diet or taking a protein supplement.

You'll only bulk out if you do training that bulks you out. If you are just training for climbing by climbing, hangboarding, campusing boarding, etc. you will probably not notice a large increase in weight.

spikeddem

Jun 3, 2011, 11:25 PM
Post #3 of 24 (16810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you considered TVP? It's vegan, and it's actually hella cheap. It can go with most any meals.

As far as worrying about getting "too" big, it's a fairly unrealistic worry. Female bodybuilders invest their entire lives into looking the way they do. Simply taking protein will not result in overly bulking up.

You should think of a protein supplement as, well, a supplement. It's more important to square away your diet, and then to add any supplements that you still find yourself needing.

With Soy Milk, tufa tofu, natural peanut butter, lentils, and TVP you can easily reach daily requirements for protein.

Lentils and TVP are both mega protein sources (not to mention fiber too).

Edit: Nutritional info on TVP:

(This post was edited by spikeddem on Jun 3, 2011, 11:30 PM)

sungam

Jun 3, 2011, 11:25 PM
Post #4 of 24 (16810 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Protein [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy incoherent post batman! Did it make sense?

Edit to add: This is about my post, not Spike's.

(This post was edited by sungam on Jun 3, 2011, 11:28 PM)

spikeddem

Jun 3, 2011, 11:32 PM
Post #5 of 24 (16799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your post made plenty of sense to me, Sungam. I've been training though . . . reading a lot of ceebo's posts until I understand them.

sungam

Jun 3, 2011, 11:34 PM
Post #6 of 24 (16798 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Protein [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
Your post made plenty of sense to me, Sungam. I've been training though . . . reading a lot of ceebo's posts until I understand them.
Did you seriously just compare me to ceebo?
Seriously, dude?

Like, for serious?

sungam

Jun 3, 2011, 11:39 PM
Post #7 of 24 (16795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That stuff sounds nasty, dude. Legumes, man! Legumes! om nom nom nom

om nomnumnumnum

nommle nom nom

Heh, whups!

spikeddem

Jun 3, 2011, 11:41 PM
Post #8 of 24 (16792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
That stuff sounds nasty, dude. Legumes, man! Legumes! om nom nom nom
[image]http://www.virginmedia.com/images/beans_on_toast430x300.jpg[/image]
om nomnumnumnum
[image]http://kwokwingfoods.co.uk/images/receipe_pics/Vegetable-Chili-Kidney-bean_New.jpg[/image]
nommle nom nom
[image]http://www.brentfordtandoori.com/catalog/images/steak23.JPG[/image]
Heh, whups!

TVP is tasteless and will pick up any flavor you give it.

Vegan Bacon Bits, for example: http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/?p=1128

spikeddem

Jun 3, 2011, 11:41 PM
Post #9 of 24 (16792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
Seriously, dude?

Like, for serious?

I project ceebo posts when comprehending them. I onsighted your post.

sungam

Jun 3, 2011, 11:43 PM
Post #10 of 24 (16791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
sungam wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
Seriously, dude?

Like, for serious?

Smile It's all good, then.

jzlosman

Jun 4, 2011, 7:48 PM
Post #11 of 24 (16650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm new to the climbing world but I've taken all sorts of protein supplements for both weight training and weight management. Like Sungam said, just taking the stuff won't produce slabs of muscle up and down your frame. If you replace some of the carb-heavy parts of your daily diet with protein and your overall caloric intake is below your BMR you're likely to see in increase in fat burning.

My girlfriend had a protein deficiency and it was resulting in all sorts of stuff like headaches and fatigue. She is not a fan of protein powders but I got her hooked on starting her day with a 2:1 bar instead of toast or pop tarts. What a difference that made. If you have any reservations about "protein supplement bars" and their taste, definitely give 2:1s a try. I highly recommend the Almond Crunch (taste just like a snickers, no lie) and Peanut Butter Brownie (slathered in legit peanut butter).

GNC is still running a buy 2 get 1 free sale for all 2:1 bars so it's definitely a good time to pick some up.

jt512

Jun 4, 2011, 8:06 PM
Post #12 of 24 (16642 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jzlosman] Protein [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

jzlosman wrote:
If you replace some of the carb-heavy parts of your daily diet with protein and your overall caloric intake is below your BMR you're likely to see in increase in fat burning.

That's a load of low-carber bullshit.

Jay

jzlosman

Jun 4, 2011, 8:17 PM
Post #13 of 24 (16637 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Protein [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't see how its bullshit. If you remain at a certain calorie level but are replacing carbs with protein you will increase your rate of loss.

I wasn't recommending a low-carb diet to the OP, I was just supporting the statement that just because you take protein shakes doesn't mean you are going to bulk up automagically.

ceebo

Jun 4, 2011, 8:29 PM
Post #14 of 24 (16633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
sungam wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
Seriously, dude?

Like, for serious?

Sungam you should actually take that as an insult. It's a little known fact that being easily understood is a none existent characteristics of a genius. As the saying goes... it is better to be thought of as a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

10:1 odds on predicting a diverted answer on what would have been the obvious response before the anger at the thought of being predicted by a fool made you splurt out random shit instead?.

LaughLaugh fucking 10a spike.

jt512

Jun 4, 2011, 8:43 PM
Post #15 of 24 (16629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jzlosman wrote:
I don't see how its bullshit. If you remain at a certain calorie level but are replacing carbs with protein . . .

Why would you replace carbohydrate with protein, when dietary carbohydrate promotes protein retention?

In reply to:
 . . . you will increase your rate of loss.

Rate of loss of what?

In reply to:
I wasn't recommending a low-carb diet to the OP . . .

What is not low-carb about reducing your total caloric intake to less than BMR and replacing carbohydrate with protein? Do the math.

And why do you think it is sensible to reduce total caloric intake to less than BMR?

Jay

jzlosman

Jun 4, 2011, 9:05 PM
Post #16 of 24 (16619 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Protein [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why would you replace carbohydrate with protein, when dietary carbohydrate promotes protein retention?
Please read my posts again. I was simply saying that if "a person" not "the OP" was to replace carbs with protein it would not result in a bulking up. Forgive me for using protein in my response to the post entitled "Protein."

In reply to:
Rate of loss of what?
Now I think you are just trolling - "rate of loss" was referring to my original post's reference to weight loss.

You quoted me saying "I wasn't recommending a low-carb diet to the OP" and refute it by telling me that the example was low-carb. True, it was, but I don't think I ever said "hey OP, see this example of how protein doesn't bulk you up without working out? Yeah do what this imaginary person is doing and try to lose some weight by following a low-carb diet". The only thing I recommended was 2:1 protein bars.

Everyone I know that cuts any kind of weight goes below their BMR. But if you need to hear it one more time - I was not recommending any sort of calorie level modification for the OP, it was just part of a simple example.

sungam

Jun 4, 2011, 9:11 PM
Post #17 of 24 (16609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, you said "If you replace some of the carb-heavy parts of your daily diet with protein and your overall caloric intake is below your BMR you're likely to see in increase in fat burning.". I think that is what Jay was calling "low-carber bullshit", cuz it is.

jt512

Jun 4, 2011, 9:18 PM
Post #18 of 24 (16605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jzlosman wrote:
In reply to:
Please read my posts again. I was simply saying that if "a person" not "the OP" was to replace carbs with protein it would not result in a bulking up. Forgive me for using protein in my response to the post entitled "Protein."

I was not recommending any sort of calorie level modification for the OP, it was just part of a simple example.

I reread your post, and what you said, among other things, is:

In reply to:
If you replace some of the carb-heavy parts of your daily diet with protein and your overall caloric intake is below your BMR you're likely to see in increase in fat burning.

What will happen if "a person" (forgive me for imagining that "you" in a post responding to the OP might actually refer to the OP) follows your example that wasn't a recommendation is that they will end up in negative protein balance, only be able to follow the recommendation example for a limited time, and then rebound, replacing the lost muscle mass with fat.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jun 5, 2011, 5:05 AM)

dancottle

Jun 4, 2011, 9:19 PM
Post #19 of 24 (16604 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't believe that all vegetable proteins are complete proteins, but I could be wrong. Whey protein is about as good as it gets and its pretty cheap too for a shake a day.

spikeddem

Jun 4, 2011, 9:21 PM
Post #20 of 24 (16599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Protein [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
10:1 odds on predicting a diverted answer on what would have been the obvious response before the anger at the thought of being predicted by a fool made you splurt out random shit instead?.

????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wo1-sI7MOQ

jt512

Jun 4, 2011, 9:22 PM
Post #21 of 24 (16598 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dancottle] Protein [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dancottle wrote:
I don't believe that all vegetable proteins are complete proteins, but I could be wrong.

You are.

Jay

spikeddem

Jun 4, 2011, 9:37 PM
Post #22 of 24 (16593 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dancottle] Protein [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dancottle wrote:
I don't believe that all vegetable proteins are complete proteins, but I could be wrong. Whey protein is about as good as it gets and its pretty cheap too for a shake a day.

Vegans can find complete proteins in quinoa (a grain) and soybean products. TVP (made from soybeans, not vegetables) seems to be generally regarded as a complete protein, but perhaps it depends on the company that is making it.

My point is simply there people (including vegetarians and vegans) can easily get their protein requirements without resorting to supplements. Sure, a whey protein shake will be digested more quickly than a hard food source, but personally I'm not sure it's worth the cost. At the very least, I think it's a bit more enjoyable to get an extra hard meal rather than a liquid meal, perhaps even more so for someone on a caloric deficit.

I'm not even vegetarian, for the record.

(This post was edited by spikeddem on Jun 4, 2011, 9:40 PM)

flesh

Jun 4, 2011, 10:21 PM
Post #23 of 24 (16576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whey protein FTW if your veg not vegan. SOY tastes like cow poo. Supposedly it's the best for absorbtion from what I've read. Sure Jay would know... but hes veg or vegan so he might play it down ;)

However, I'd like to add, I don't think a 102lb person really needs much protein. I know I don't eat much and im 155 and climb alot at a higher level so I burn alot of cals/break down the muscle. Considering I'm progressing quickly, my protein intake seems adequate. But I don't have any numbers for ya.

jt512

Jun 4, 2011, 10:30 PM
Post #24 of 24 (16572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
ceebo wrote:

????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wo1-sI7MOQ

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook