Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Bouldering:
BOULDERING AT NIGHT, for the busy people :)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

flesh

Jun 4, 2011, 10:29 PM
Post #1 of 10 (4112 views)
Shortcut

BOULDERING AT NIGHT, for the busy people :)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

So I work 40-50 hours a week and have been getting frustrated that I couldn't boulder outside... I'm always either working or it's dark outside when I'm done... or the weather's not good on the weekend, snow, rain, hot whatever.

Yesterday I went to home depot and purchased three lights , flourescent, rated at 23 watts energy consumption 100 watt equivalent. They all have the little reflector behind them, only 8 dollars each. They have big rubber clips on them to clip to a stand or branches (i know it'll hurt the branches, i'm evil).

Then I purchased a power inverter, it clips on a car battery and has two regular power outlets on it. Then I purchased a car battery and a car battery charger, it was about 250 for everything, which isn't cheap.

The result is that with the three lights and a battery that will last for hours I can boulder at night after work and the temps are nice and cool and I have it all to myself. VERY COOL, pun.

This will get me outside bouldering another 20-30 days a year and outta the gym which is certainly worth the investment to me.

Anyways, I recommend.

Going tonight... it will be 25 degrees cooler at 10 pm :)

ceebo

Jun 5, 2011, 11:36 PM
Post #2 of 10 (4049 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flesh] BOULDERING AT NIGHT, for the busy people :) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Their are actually some decent solar lights out their these days. If you still have means of a refund look into them. May cost slightly more to get 2 or 3 high power ones.. but you obviously don't spend money on recharges.

redonkulus

Jun 6, 2011, 12:24 AM
Post #3 of 10 (4036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Do they keep the mosquitos away by drawing them toward the light? Cuz that'd be worth about a thousand bucks in and of itself.

flesh

Jun 6, 2011, 8:40 PM
Post #4 of 10 (3986 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] BOULDERING AT NIGHT, for the busy people :) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
Their are actually some decent solar lights out their these days. If you still have means of a refund look into them. May cost slightly more to get 2 or 3 high power ones.. but you obviously don't spend money on recharges.

No mosquito problems here. Solar doesn't work when the suns not out? LOL, I wanted this setup for two reasons, it's colder at night so I'll have more cold days to climb throughout the year, two, It gets dark anywhere from 5:30-9:30 throughout the year so I'm limited as to when I can boulder outside after work.

I tested out the rig the other night and got some good footage. It works very well. I just bought a 6ft adjustable tri pod stand for 30 bux it has lots of places to clip the lights on it and it's pretty light. This way I can put the lights where i want wo worrying about clipping trees or if there isn't any trees.

I don't know how long the deep cycle battery will last with three 23 watt equiv flourescents, but it worked for 4 hours the other night no problem.

ceebo

Jun 6, 2011, 8:50 PM
Post #5 of 10 (3980 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They charge up during the day Tongue.

tH1e-swiN1e

Aug 1, 2011, 4:02 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3600 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

night climbing is the (o)(o)'s

jbone

Aug 1, 2011, 4:37 PM
Post #7 of 10 (3587 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Been there done that, except I use a 3500 watt generator instead of a battery.

Generator and lights ran me just under $500 4 years ago. Haven't even replaced a bulb yet.

I'd invest in a hand-truck and steal a couple milk crates to keep your gear in. Get the no flat tires for the extra $5 each.

Temps are great but even better than that I haven't ran into any gumby's in years. You get the entire boulderfield to yourself and never get the sun in your eye's.

dreday3000

Aug 2, 2011, 3:51 PM
Post #8 of 10 (3532 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbone] BOULDERING AT NIGHT, for the busy people :) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Did the same thing for sport climbing once:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._Rosa_13a_75528.html

surfer9joe

Sep 16, 2011, 2:54 AM
Post #9 of 10 (3262 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dreday3000] BOULDERING AT NIGHT, for the busy people :) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I night boulder all the time. Those propane lanterns work great! I usually use 2 at a time along with a headlamp we are good!

damienclimber

Sep 16, 2011, 11:27 PM
Post #10 of 10 (3208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
So I work 40-50 hours a week and have been getting frustrated that I couldn't boulder outside... I'm always either working or it's dark outside when I'm done... or the weather's not good on the weekend, snow, rain, hot whatever.

Yesterday I went to home depot and purchased three lights , flourescent, rated at 23 watts energy consumption 100 watt equivalent. They all have the little reflector behind them, only 8 dollars each. They have big rubber clips on them to clip to a stand or branches (i know it'll hurt the branches, i'm evil).

Then I purchased a power inverter, it clips on a car battery and has two regular power outlets on it. Then I purchased a car battery and a car battery charger, it was about 250 for everything, which isn't cheap.

The result is that with the three lights and a battery that will last for hours I can boulder at night after work and the temps are nice and cool and I have it all to myself. VERY COOL, pun.

This will get me outside bouldering another 20-30 days a year and outta the gym which is certainly worth the investment to me.

Anyways, I recommend.

Going tonight... it will be 25 degrees cooler at 10 pm :)

Wimp. forget the light, blind people climb!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook