Premier Sponsor:

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jun 6, 2011, 5:44 AM
Post #1 of 17 (994 views)
Shortcut

They said what?
Report this Post
Can't Post

As we begin our never ending quest to pick the least qualified person to be the most powerful person, quotes are in the air.

Now, traditionally I would try to make it a drinking game, but for now, simply post up the quote and your interpretation of why they are not qualified to be president based soley on the quote.

For our first example:

SaraP wrote:
"Part of his ride was to warn the British that were already there. That, hey, you're not going to succeed. You're not going to take American arms. You are not going to beat our own well-armed persons, individual, private militia that we have," she added. "He did warn the British."

http://news.yahoo.com/...ap_on_el_ge/us_palin

I assume that she got that history from a Disney version, certainly not from PBS (http://pbskids.org/...m9i54t_7XXoOh2WOk_WC). (Yes, many, many 10 year olds in the country know she is wrong.)

Why this disqualifies her: Skipping over how or where she got her history lessons, it shows that she thinks that military actions are more for show than strategic action. And she wants to be commander in chief? (unofficially still, I know).

traddad

Jun 6, 2011, 6:40 AM
Post #2 of 17 (985 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] They said what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not politics, it's business. Acting like she's running for president is Sarah Palin's job. http://www.salon.com/...6/05/palin_president Pure and simple. As long as she stays in the limelight she has book, movie and appearance deals coming in. I bet someone on her staff has even written up a business plan. She's like a mega church preacher, leading (fleecing) the flock. There is a long and hallowed tradition of taking money from stupid people who just want someone to tell them what they should do, so they don't have to think.

I just wish people would just ignore her.

lena_chita

Jun 6, 2011, 8:01 AM
Post #3 of 17 (974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think SarahP is actually more dangerous to the democrat's prospects in the next election if she DOES NOT run.

She is not electable, period. There isn't a chance that she would win. But tripping all over the country without being on the campaign trail will give her freedom to say even more outrageous things, energize the support base, and draw a lot of fire power to making fun of her, instead of fighting more important issues and more important candidates.

It is so easy to make fun of her.

But seriously, I think the smartest thing for the left to do would be to spend no time, no money, and no thought to covering anything she says. Ignore her completely.

curt

Jun 6, 2011, 8:06 AM
Post #4 of 17 (973 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] They said what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
...But seriously, I think the smartest thing for the left to do would be to spend no time, no money, and no thought to covering anything she says. Ignore her completely.

It's like a bad car accident--for some odd reason, you just can't look away.

Curt

traddad

Jun 6, 2011, 10:43 AM
Post #5 of 17 (948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] They said what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Heh...

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/...dia_Paul_Revere_Page

Partner rrrADAM

Jun 6, 2011, 11:13 AM
Post #6 of 17 (941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] They said what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Laugh

The wiki discussions and edit history are pretty enlightening... Seems that to many, if a newspaper quotes a nutcase stating an [incorrect] fact, then they will cite the paper as a "reliable source" of the "fact", even though all they are doing is quoting a nutcase.

But then, since an IQ of 100 is the average, that means that half the people are in the double digits, and likely staunch Palin fans.

Crazy

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Jun 6, 2011, 11:17 AM)

olderic

Jun 6, 2011, 12:07 PM
Post #7 of 17 (914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] They said what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:

But seriously, I think the smartest thing for the left to do would be to spend no time, no money, and no thought to covering anything she says. Ignore her completely.

Are we talking about Sarah or Enigma? Is there a difference?

petsfed

Jun 6, 2011, 12:51 PM
Post #8 of 17 (902 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] They said what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:

Laugh

The wiki discussions and edit history are pretty enlightening... Seems that to many, if a newspaper quotes a nutcase stating an [incorrect] fact, then they will cite the paper as a "reliable source" of the "fact", even though all they are doing is quoting a nutcase.

But then, since an IQ of 100 is the average, that means that half the people are in the double digits, and likely staunch Palin fans.

Crazy

That's actually my greatest criticism of wikipedia: its encouraging people to believe that a statement is more reliable if more people repeat it. That is to say, while it encourages people to backup their claims, they still aren't bothering with evaluating their sources.

rmsusa

Jun 6, 2011, 2:50 PM
Post #9 of 17 (883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

''I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go.''

óBarack Obama, at a campaign event in Beaverton, Oregon

Here 'ya go. The man doesn't even know how many states there are in the union.

veganclimber

Jun 6, 2011, 3:07 PM
Post #10 of 17 (876 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rmsusa] They said what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
''I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go.''

óBarack Obama, at a campaign event in Beaverton, Oregon

Here 'ya go. The man doesn't even know how many states there are in the union.

Do you really not understand the difference between misspeaking and not knowing what the fuck you are talking about? I'll give you a hint. This is misspeaking:

In reply to:
We've got to stand with our North Korea allies.

This is not knowing what the fuck you are talking about:

In reply to:
"Part of his ride was to warn the British that were already there. That, hey, you're not going to succeed. You're not going to take American arms. You are not going to beat our own well-armed persons, individual, private militia that we have," she added. "He did warn the British."

petsfed

Jun 6, 2011, 3:42 PM
Post #11 of 17 (869 views)
Shortcut

Re: [veganclimber] They said what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Put another way, for all of his public blunders ("Is our children learning?" "Strategery" etc), Bush still came off as reasonably intelligent when compared to Palin, just not that good with public speaking. Palin strikes me as the kind of woman who got her stupid at a 2-for-1 sale.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jun 6, 2011, 3:56 PM
Post #12 of 17 (864 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] They said what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
Put another way, for all of his public blunders ("Is our children learning?" "Strategery" etc), Bush still came off as reasonably intelligent when compared to Palin, just not that good with public speaking. Palin strikes me as the kind of woman who got her stupid at a 2-for-1 sale.

Your industry term of the day: BOGO - an acronym for buy one, get one. Considered a desperate strategy since once you hit BOGO pricing, your original price will not return.

jt512

Jun 6, 2011, 9:03 PM
Post #13 of 17 (844 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] They said what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

Are we talking about Sarah or Enigma? Is there a difference?

There's a difference: about 1 standard deviation by my estimate.

traddad

Jun 6, 2011, 9:21 PM
Post #14 of 17 (838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] They said what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote from Orwell that seems to fit:

Orwell wrote:
"She had without exception the most stupid, vulgar, empty mind that he had ever encountered. She had not a thought in her head that was not a slogan, and there was no imbecility, absolutely none that she was not capable of swallowing if the Party handed it out to her. 'The human sound-track' he nicknamed her in his own mind.."

Partner rrrADAM

Jun 7, 2011, 7:56 AM
Post #15 of 17 (807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

Laugh

Crazy

That's actually my greatest criticism of wikipedia: its encouraging people to believe that a statement is more reliable if more people repeat it. That is to say, while it encourages people to backup their claims, they still aren't bothering with evaluating their sources.

Actually, the wiki discussions and edit history mentioned above make it clear that they do proactively evaluate some sources. Personally, I often look to see the sources myself. A peer reviewed paper gets much more weight on the topics I am generally interested in than do links to answersingenesis.org or Ms Palin.

petsfed

Jun 7, 2011, 11:51 AM
Post #16 of 17 (789 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] They said what? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
petsfed wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

Laugh

Crazy

Actually, the wiki discussions and edit history mentioned above make it clear that they do proactively evaluate some sources. Personally, I often look to see the sources myself. A peer reviewed paper gets much more weight on the topics I am generally interested in than do links to answersingenesis.org or Ms Palin.

I'm not saying that wikipedia does it so much as kids see [citation needed] and assume that the information is wrong, but they see 200 citations at the end of an article and assume that the information is right. I don't need to provide 200 citations to show that F=m*a because I can test it directly, but that's not the message kids are getting. Its reinforcing the conspiracy-theory, confirmation-bias problem. My girlfriend has taught freshman composition for a couple years now, and that's the continuous battle: just because you can cite a source doesn't mean you're right.

Partner rrrADAM

Jun 7, 2011, 12:24 PM
Post #17 of 17 (782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gotcha. Agreed.

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me: